Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Webkit now more popular than Firefox  (Read 6731 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Re: Webkit now more popular than Firefox
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 23, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;677012
Wait, wait, all you have to do to justify spying now is claim you're doing it to help people? Well damn, have I got a new hobby!

I wouldn't use the term "spying on you", but rather "learning about your preferences" since this is what it does, it's not scanning your hard drive trying to find your personal ultra-secret documents you are hiding there somewhere. That's spying. See the difference?

A supplier learning things about you isn't always bad per se. A barber learning how you would want your hair cut, can make you visit a little easier as you don't have to explain the same thing over and over again. A restaurant learning you would know that you you prefer meat with potato Gratin, and would open this page of the menu before handing it over. They would know that you prefer beer instead of wine, so they would hand over you the beer list opened and the wine list closed on the table, just in case you changed your mind. the chef would know you want your stake medium rare, that you never eats any mushrooms so he replaces those with some asparagus that he knows you like, and then he would put on some extra red wine sauce. A clothing store that knows you, would suggest only black or dark colored clothes as long as you don't say you want something different, they would walk you past the fancy suits section and show you directly to the hood shirts. The rest of the shop is still there of course, but if you only want to look at the things that really interest you, then this make your life easier.

CRM was here long before computers and the Internet, but it's more effective now. Done right, it's a win-win situation for both the customer/visitor and the supplier.

Of course I know that some people are more paranoid than others, and I guess this is the reason of the browser Chromium that is the same browser as Chrome, but *without* Google's branding, auto-update mechanism, click-through licensing terms, usage-tracking, the built-in PDF viewer and Adobe Flash Player. And please note that this browser uses exactly the same user agent identification string (it identifies itself as being Chrome (because essentially it is)), so this browser is included in the statistics above. If you didn't know about this and want to read about it, go here, or here.

Personally, I still prefer Chrome though, because I don't feel its spying on me but *aiding* me based on my preferences, making my Web Browsing a bit easier and better.

I find Facebook being a far much bigger threat to my integrity, but I use that as well... ;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
Quote from: yssing;677095
Don't really care, but Chrome does run my html 5 a bit faster than FF.

Have to admit that I kinda like IE 9, it seems to do the same things now, that Chrome and Firefox do.

IE9 still lacks important CSS3 rules, as you'll learn the hard way sooner or later if you develop websites. Just the other week I was going to use the text-shadow CSS rule. Worked fine in all major browsers, but of course not in IE9.

And it's slower than slow.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;677096
A supplier learning things about you isn't always bad per se. A barber learning how you would want your hair cut, can make you visit a little easier as you don't have to explain the same thing over and over again. A restaurant learning you would know that you you prefer meat with potato Gratin, and would open this page of the menu before handing it over. They would know that you prefer beer instead of wine, so they would hand over you the beer list opened and the wine list closed on the table, just in case you changed your mind.
Yeah, somehow I'm not so comfortable with letting a blindly all-consuming behemoth Internet company monitor everything I do on the Internet as I am with letting a restaranteur note my preferences within the bounds of his restaraunt. Maybe it's just that I'm part of the apparently rapidly-dwindling population that still consider privacy a thing to be valued and hung onto, silly me :/

I find Facebook being a far much bigger threat to my integrity, but I use that as well... ;)
Well no kidding, but that's why I wouldn't touch Facebook or its ilk with a twenty-foot pole.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup