Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Webkit now more popular than Firefox  (Read 6748 times)

Description:

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: Webkit now more popular than Firefox
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 04:11:09 AM »
don't give a rats arse about popularity contests but in my house Firefox rules on my PC's period so it's no surprise that I'm very excited about Timberwolf coming to my miggy:afro:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 06:13:09 AM »
Quote from: drHirudo;676851
Yep, Firefox started playing on my nerves recently. Especially with the frequent updates that made previous plugins unworkable.
No wonder it's loosing popularity.

Completely agreed. I'm still on Firefox 3.6.x because of all this rapid upgrade nonsense ever since 4.x. The Firefox developers turned their browser into a bloated, clumsy knockoff of Chrome. They burned the soul of their product - no wonder they've lost ground. I don't know what I'll switch to on my Mac/PC once 3.6.x becomes too old to be usable online, but it won't be a newer Firefox (though it certainly won't be Chrome, either). Maybe I'll VNC to OWB on my MorphOS machine...

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
I've been happy enough with Chromium. I wish Rekonq for KDE was more stable and I'd be using that.

Epiphany is great for Gnome users.

Offline Ancalimon

• Show only replies by Ancalimon
    • http://www.myspace.com/orhunmusic
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »
Webkit is not more popular than Firefox here in Turkey. In fact people don't know what Webkit is.
A4000T, 604e@400&060@66, 128MB+16MB+Zorram256, CVisionPPC, VLabMotion, Toccata, XSurf100&RapidRoad, Prisma Megamix

A1200, Blizzard060@50, 256MB, Blizzard IV SCSI, FastATA mk4

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »
Quote from: tone007;676864
I only use Firefox when I happen to be running Linux, like on my newly modded McDonald's cash register.

[img]

So that's why our orders take so long, you're busy surfing Amiga.org on your till :D

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;676914
Completely agreed. I'm still on Firefox 3.6.x because of all this rapid upgrade nonsense ever since 4.x. The Firefox developers turned their browser into a bloated, clumsy knockoff of Chrome. They burned the soul of their product - no wonder they've lost ground. I don't know what I'll switch to on my Mac/PC once 3.6.x becomes too old to be usable online, but it won't be a newer Firefox (though it certainly won't be Chrome, either). Maybe I'll VNC to OWB on my MorphOS machine...

I was a huge Firefox fan from 2004-2009, but after version 4 it just became bloated and the ridiculous version number climb in the last 12 months, the nags for updates, plugins failing, the whole thing just feels bloated and messy now.  Chrome is much more streamlined.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »
I use Opera, which I find to be much quicker than Chrome or Firefox.
I wouldn't touch google chrome with a holographic barge pole.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:34:25 AM by paul1981 »

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;676858
On newer Windows systems I've never noticed any performance problems with it.

I have a Win7/Core-i7 system. Never said that Firefox speed was a *problem*, only that Chrome (and Safari for that matter) is much faster and I prefer that when I have a choice. And so does most other people, as of December 2011. ;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »
Quote from: mihcael;676877
Agree with everything here.

Chrome may be a very good browser but AFAIK it is also a very good piece of spyware, don't people see this?

Maybe because the flip-side is that it helps the browser/google to intelligently present you various suggestions in many shapes and forms which actually helps you and improves your browsing experience a lot, and people care more about this? I use Chrome on every computer that supports it. It's an awesome browser! :) I use the other browsers only for reference, to see if my web pages look alright...

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
Quote from: FaLLeNOnE;676929
Webkit is not more popular than Firefox here in Turkey. In fact people don't know what Webkit is.

They don't have to know what Webkit is, not many does, but many are probably very familiar with the names "Safari" and "Chrome". :)

(Turkish MorphOS users definitely uses the Webkit in the shape of the Odyssey browser ;))

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676946
Maybe because the flip-side is that it helps the browser/google to intelligently present you various suggestions in many shapes and forms which actually helps you and improves your browsing experience a lot, and people care more about this?
Wait, wait, all you have to do to justify spying now is claim you're doing it to help people? Well damn, have I got a new hobby!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline vic20owner

• Show only replies by vic20owner
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 04:02:35 AM »
Firefox is a pig... I run Safari but lately it's seeming a bit heavy and slow to respond.

OWB seems nice in MorpOs :D  Using it now with no issues.
Amiga 1200 030/50mhz 64MB Fast Ram 20GB HD
DTCV, S-Video hack, 1084S-D1, PCMCIA Wireless

Offline Ancalimon

• Show only replies by Ancalimon
    • http://www.myspace.com/orhunmusic
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676948

(Turkish MorphOS users definitely uses the Webkit in the shape of the Odyssey browser ;))

Well.. That covers most of the Internet users in Turkey so you could be right! :)
A4000T, 604e@400&060@66, 128MB+16MB+Zorram256, CVisionPPC, VLabMotion, Toccata, XSurf100&RapidRoad, Prisma Megamix

A1200, Blizzard060@50, 256MB, Blizzard IV SCSI, FastATA mk4

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »
Until recently Ive never really been too fussy about browsers and have mostly used IE as my "serious" browser of choice 'cos it does the job for me. Ive been trying to like Firefox for the last decade, but have never been able to. In my experiences its heavy, cumbersome, and slow. Plug-ins dont work as often as not, and they can also cause instabilities of thier own. Every now and then a release happens that gives me hope that its being fixed, but without fail a revision or so later its in varying degrees of screwed again.

Enter Chrome.

Never before had a browser stood out as a quality product to me until I started using Chrome. It's light, renders nicely, and "feels" nice (although to be fair its more webkit itself that provides most of the "feel").

Nice to see a product do well on the base of the quality rather than marketting or "anti-marketting". It's not common these days.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 09:18:20 AM »
Don't really care, but Chrome does run my html 5 a bit faster than FF.

Have to admit that I kinda like IE 9, it seems to do the same things now, that Chrome and Firefox do.

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 23, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;677012
Wait, wait, all you have to do to justify spying now is claim you're doing it to help people? Well damn, have I got a new hobby!

I wouldn't use the term "spying on you", but rather "learning about your preferences" since this is what it does, it's not scanning your hard drive trying to find your personal ultra-secret documents you are hiding there somewhere. That's spying. See the difference?

A supplier learning things about you isn't always bad per se. A barber learning how you would want your hair cut, can make you visit a little easier as you don't have to explain the same thing over and over again. A restaurant learning you would know that you you prefer meat with potato Gratin, and would open this page of the menu before handing it over. They would know that you prefer beer instead of wine, so they would hand over you the beer list opened and the wine list closed on the table, just in case you changed your mind. the chef would know you want your stake medium rare, that you never eats any mushrooms so he replaces those with some asparagus that he knows you like, and then he would put on some extra red wine sauce. A clothing store that knows you, would suggest only black or dark colored clothes as long as you don't say you want something different, they would walk you past the fancy suits section and show you directly to the hood shirts. The rest of the shop is still there of course, but if you only want to look at the things that really interest you, then this make your life easier.

CRM was here long before computers and the Internet, but it's more effective now. Done right, it's a win-win situation for both the customer/visitor and the supplier.

Of course I know that some people are more paranoid than others, and I guess this is the reason of the browser Chromium that is the same browser as Chrome, but *without* Google's branding, auto-update mechanism, click-through licensing terms, usage-tracking, the built-in PDF viewer and Adobe Flash Player. And please note that this browser uses exactly the same user agent identification string (it identifies itself as being Chrome (because essentially it is)), so this browser is included in the statistics above. If you didn't know about this and want to read about it, go here, or here.

Personally, I still prefer Chrome though, because I don't feel its spying on me but *aiding* me based on my preferences, making my Web Browsing a bit easier and better.

I find Facebook being a far much bigger threat to my integrity, but I use that as well... ;)