Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Latest OWB on MorphOS equipped MacMini - not good  (Read 5539 times)

Description:

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
Re: Latest MorphOS on MacMini - all but done
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 01, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
I have a triple boot hackintosh running Snow Leopard, Windows 7 and latest Ubuntu. Windows 7 is light years ahead for my engineer taste.

I have a 1.67 Powerbook just waiting for MOS! But, MOS developers are ... really mysterious about the project timeline, so, It's getting dust in the drawer holding a nice Leopard installation.
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline tone007

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;657405
And thats OK CK. I hate windows, because NTFS and the system itself rot, in other words the system will eventually slow down to a halt and you have to redo the system.

Only if you're some kind of noob.  I'm personally responsible for 100+ Windows XP/Server 2003 boxes, the majority of which have been running on the same installs for 4+ years. (Yeah, the hardware is getting old by now, but they're performing as well as they did when they were new.)
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
Maybe you should take into account that I'm not an IT manager. Also, I usually do a bunch of mods to a standard XP install: Turn off System Restore, Virtual Memory, indexing services, and such. But in regular use I don't really use windows anymore, but when I did I either used 2000 or XP and with the latter I would back up and reinstall the system every 3-4 months, just to make sure everything ran well . I also never needed anti virus, if I ever got a virus I just reinstalled the system over it.

But seriously, Windows XP out of the box has very poor memory management. It resorted to virtual memory on my Dell XPS model 1 even though I had 2GB of RAM, a whole 1GB which wasn't even  put in use until I nixed virtual memory. USB stick writing was also a lot slower than on my Power Mac G4, which when I did the test was using 10.4.

I also had to constantly rebuild NTFS due to power spikes out here in the boonies (yes I have surge protectors, but cheap ones, I cant be bothered to spend $100 on a good APC), I eventually hacked my XP to run on exFAT which was much better

But I have never had to rebuild an HFS+ volume due to power spikes, although the spikes have all but disappeared after new power lines put in 2005 after Ernesto.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline slobu

• Show only replies by slobu
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
Quote from: tone007;657375
I bet Ubuntu would run pretty nicely on that MacMini.

Have basically the same Mac Mini and Ubuntu blows.  Bad performance.  Bad graphic issues.  The situation may have changed since the last Ubuntu release though.

No, you either want OK OSX performance on this machine or FAST MorphOS up and in there.  If the license for MorphOS is already dealt with it's a real plus.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
Windows 7 is light years ahead of anything else on the market. End of.

And I have and do use Mac , Linux , MorphOS and Windows

But lets not get into that arguemnt again.   The post is about MorphOS on a MacMini (G4), windows does  not run on it.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Latest OWB on MorphOS equipped MacMini - not good
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »
@save2600

Out of interest have you tried to install older OWB version then?
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook