Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amount of MorphOS copies sold  (Read 29170 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Amount of MorphOS copies sold
« on: March 25, 2011, 05:18:37 PM »
For those who doesn't know; there is a never-ending thread over at MorphZone.org where people reports their newly acquired MorphOS serial numbers.

Koszer made a graph based on that info, and it's kind of interesting:

:)

(To future MorphOS users - please post your serial number in the MorphOS counter thread! :) )
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline nicholas

Re: Amount of MorphOS copies sold
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »
~1100 users?

Much less than I'd thought there would be. Very disappointing! :(
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline HammerD

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624592
~1100 users?

I would hope it would be more, too.  You can bet that the active base is less than the total amount of licenses sold, as a certain percentage of the early licenses would no longer be in use.  

Also there are users who hold more than one license.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
disapiointing? given the amount of active members, poll entries and downloads i would count somewhere about 300 active users for os4, about the same for advanced 68k, not counting unexpanded/gaming crowd. and aros scoring under 100 serious users atm, mos of them devs themselves. i even think mos registration thread exaggerate the actual numbers as many registered might drop it by the time. realistic number should be divided by half at least i think.

Offline Justone

• Show only replies by Justone
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624592
~1100 users?

There are even less users i think as most of them have 2 or 3 registered computers.
A4000 E/BOX 4000 PCI Tower, CyberStorm-PPC 060/50 PPC/180, USB, Voodoo 5500, 10/100 Network, Terratec 512i, eFlash 4000, CV64 scandoubler. (sold)
Pegasos II G3/600Mhz, Sounblaster Live, Radeon 9000 pro 128 Mb. Happy MOS 1.4.5 user. I hate M$ tactics, so no MO$ 2.x for me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;624595
disapiointing? given the amount of active members, poll entries and downloads i would count somewhere about 300 active users for os4, about the same for advanced 68k, not counting unexpanded/gaming crowd. and aros scoring under 100 serious users atm, mos of them devs themselves. i even think mos registration thread exaggerate the actual numbers as many registered might drop it by the time. realistic number should be divided by half at least i think.

Yes, disappointing.

I doubt the numbers will increase, more likely that they will decrease over time.

Disappointing indeed.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline HammerD

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »

Well obviously all of us would like higher numbers for all groups, OS 3.x, OS4.x, MorphOS, AROS.

After all, many programs run on all the above platforms, so more users for any group can only help other groups and interest in general.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624597
Yes, disappointing.

I doubt the numbers will increase, more likely that they will decrease over time.

Disappointing indeed.

As its been increasing over time I expect it to continue.
Once Powerbook support is introduced, Amiga users looking for a laptop will have that option.
With that and possible Apple G5 support I can only see the user base increasing.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
No way to count the cheap bastards that don't mind rebooting every 30 minutes.

:)

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
"i would count somewhere about 300 active users for os4, about the same for advanced 68k, not counting unexpanded/gaming crowd"

I think you are seriously underestimating the numbers of 68K users, especially if you are counting forum posts/polls. France, germany, scandinavia and spain all have thriving intenet communities. Many of them don't post on english forums.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 06:17:22 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624599
As its been increasing over time I expect it to continue.
Once Powerbook support is introduced, Amiga users looking for a laptop will have that option.
With that and possible Apple G5 support I can only see the user base increasing.

Licenses yes, new users no.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;624603
"i would count somewhere about 300 active users for os4, about the same for advanced 68k, not counting unexpanded/gaming crowd"

I think you are seriously underestimating the numbers of 68K users, especially if you are counting forum posts/polls. France, germany, scandinavia and spain all have thriving intenet communities. Many of them don't post on english forums.

I'd guesstimate that the number of active 68k users outnumbers OS4, Morphos and AROS users combined.

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »
disapiointing? given the amount of active members, poll entries and downloads i would count somewhere about 300 active users for os4, about the same for advanced 68k, not counting unexpanded/gaming crowd. and aros scoring under 100 serious users atm, mos of them devs themselves.

I'm with you here.

MorphOS probably has 2x the amount of AROS and OS4 users combined (and I'm not saying that this graph reflects the amount of users, only registrations *sold*).

If the numbers seems disappointing to some people, I think they may have had an unrealistic view of the overall "state of the nation". And it may have been because I had a more "realistic" view of the Amiga situation in 2011 (there is *no real market*) that I think this graph is *excellent*! ;)

And you can read out a change in the trend as well; like how *the slope* of the curve chanbes after the Mac support was introduced. Cheap and easily obtainable hardware (although still PPC)! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624606
Licenses yes, new users no.

I am a relatively new user, having only adopted MOS once Powermac support was introduced. I have several contacts that would like to use MorphOS to develop software under that I am working with to set up hardware. None of these people are former MorphOS licensees.

Simply stated, there are more MorphOS users than there are OS4 users or AROS users. And you yourself know why, its a better product.

However, I too believe there are more 68K users than stated, and there are a lot more former 68K Amiga users, so the potential base to grow from is there (as long as we don't have to count on Franko).

Why so negative Nicholas? I know you've used MorphOS and have stated you'd prefer it over AOS4.
Can't you tell by that graph that the rate of license purchases is up?
Just from that you can infer that there are new users as a stagnant user base would result in a relatively flat graph.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline HammerD

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;624609
I'm with you here.

MorphOS probably has 2x the amount of AROS and OS4 users combined (and I'm not saying that this graph reflects the amount of users, only registrations *sold*).

I can tell you right now that it doesn't.