Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions  (Read 4853 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show all replies
MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:44:03 PM »
Okay, so the time came to where I wanted to do a dual boot scenario. MorphOS is already installed and I read how you have to install OSX first. So I formatted DH1: and DH2: Couldn't touch DH0: for whatever reason.

Thing is, I can't install OSX at all and I have both the MacMini restore discs as well as a separate OSX retail disc. Holding 'c' in does not boot from the CD drive (my discs are good) and even pressing ALT at start up... the separate OSX disc never gets recognized and my MacMini restore disc crashes the system after it loads a bit. Says 'no device driver for...'

The computer is absolutely dead right now because when I go to reinstall MorphOS, I get a 'no signal' or 'signal not supported' error on 2 of my Acer monitors. Geez louise nothing can be easy ever. Acer monitor I want to use this with is an X223w.

What I'd really like to know is:

a) does MorphOS do something to DH0: or something in NVRAM or PRAM (I've cleared both) that does not allow my restore discs to work?

b) what blind keyboard presses can I make during a fresh install of MorphOS so the proper video adapter gets chosen so I can see what's on the friggin' screen?

Thanks for any help and yes, I've tried all the obvious early startup Apple bootup key combos to no avail.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:57:10 PM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
Re: MorphOS 2.7 & MacMini display & boot questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:00:11 AM »
yes, I can get to the open firmware screen... something really strange just happened now while I was letting it sit idle on that screen. Screen got all fuzzy, as if there was RF interference and then went blank. No signal. WTF?? You think the video section of this Mini is going bad now?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:05:20 AM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:21 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;620747
Okay, then then hardware is not dead completely.
Can you access the hd from OF? i don't know the right command now (something like ls /pci/ide/ ).
 Do you have another monitor, maybe a CRT? On my Efika the default boot had problems with the right Sync for teh attached monitor (which was particularly difficult since it was an internal device).

I am also quite surprised that OS X refuses to boot off DVD. Doesn't it start with "c" pressed? Needs a few repetions sometims until catched...

No, it doesn't start from the CD at all. Tries to and then crashes with that error.

I don't think the video section is dying, but this stupid Mini only has DVI output.  I do not have any CRT's with that type of input. I have a DVI to HDMI adapter, but my TV doesn't like that signal either. So MorphOS is not setup to display correctly on a modern LCD out of the box so to speak? Hmmm....

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;620750
If you boot MorphOS off CD is the drive still spinning once the monitor goes idle?
Yeah, I can hear the laser doing its thing and I know MorphOS is loading off the CD. Just that the screen is blank.

I then press return, right arrow key, return, right arrow key - something like this and it sounds like the OS is being copied to the HD. I then restart the computer and I can hear the HD clicking away, as if it's loading MorphOS. Just can't see anything on the screen.

So... I just hooked the Mini up to my G5 iMac via Firewire and put the Mini into Target mode. I can now look into the machine from my iMac. I see the whole MorphOS installation as it looks like it should. Looking in the Monitors folder... I wonder if I could just delete the ones I don't need?

BTW: The display on the Mini just went out again while in Firewire Target mode.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:26:36 AM by save2600 »

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:47 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to try that next. Just bought a DVI-VGA adapter for $2 shipped. I also believe I have the wrong Mac Mini install discs  :(   Why my retail version of Jaguar (10.2) doesn't load is goofy and why MorphOS doesn't like my two LCD's is aggravating as hell too. It's problem after problem as usual over here!  :mad:

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »
Quote from: jacadcaps;620823

b) If the timings go bad, try holding the ctrl key while booting - this forces 1024x768x60Hz which most (all?) monitors will display.

Thanks, that did the trick! I'm sitting here with a list of early startup key presses and this little fun fact is not on there. :mad:

I know MacMini's didn't come with 10.2 or earlier, but how stupid is that you can't install a previous OS if you want? I also have OS9 on CD that the Mini refuses to recognize. Doesn't even bring an icon up in the Volume Select screen. Good things to know, so thanks Matt_H and Gazgod.

And Magnetic... yes, turns out I have Intel MacMini OEM discs over here - DOH!

Thanks all for your help. Back to some more poking around with MorphOS now. Once I get the proper Mac discs, I'll then look back into doing the dual boot boogie  :)

• Show all replies
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Kronos. You're right, I keep forgetting about this little thing called 'progress'.   :laughing:

Seriously though, the only reason I'm talking about 10.2 is because it's the only retail full OSX I have to install. I wouldn't have wanted to leave it on for long. In troubleshooting this Mini (I didn't know if my video and/or drive was going bad), would have been nice if some dialogue popped up and said: "hey you, this OS is not supported by the machine". Same with the OEM discs I have for an Intel Mini. NOwhere on the disc does it say Intel. 1996 copyright though, so maybe that should have been my hint? lol  And when trying to install that disc, the machine again, chose to be cryptic in its verbiage. Instead of saying: "hey dummy, this is for Intel Mini's or 'machine or chip sets not supported'", it came up with some shit that some driver was not found, so that had me thinking maybe something else hardware wise was messed up. :mad:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:49:28 PM by save2600 »