Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Morph OS license questions  (Read 8898 times)

Description:

Offline pVC

Re: Morph OS license questions
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »
Of course I would like to be able to install my keyfile for all my computers too, but if you think it realistic, what would be the better licence scheme for both user and developers on current market situation? I think it's fair compromise currently.

If you could use bought keyfile without limits, that would crash the already small sales to bottom because of the illegal copying, that's for sure.

Any kind of network authentication would be doomed too. I trust my equipment lasts longer than any support services would probably be online in the future. I want to be sure I can reinstall my system in any situation in any time, even when the OS development has stopped. Just like with my old Amiga software.

And as said, you can sell your old keyfile with your old computer, if you want to part with it. In the most cases you have been using the system long enough to make it worth it even if you wouldn't get money back with selling. Compare it to other regular or annual expenses and it doesn't make that much. I bet you can get much more fun with it that many other activities you might be putting your money in.

Mainstream systems can afford for piracy, because of big userbase, but there are some licences tied to hw too.

In practise, OS4 is tied to HW too. You cannot buy new HW without the OS included and charged. And it has separate versions for each platform. If you want to upgrade from your old A1 to SAM or Peg2 or something else, you have to buy new copy of the OS. In practise the same thing like with MorphOS. It just isn't seemingly tied that tight to HW, which is possible because they don't have any support for mainstream HW and thus the piracy isn't such a problem.

I still own my Pegasos1, which has paid OS. And I still own my A1200, which has paid OS too (actually several). Even though I'm currently using Mac mini, I don't see any problem having bought software for those older computers in the past.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

Offline pVC

Re: Morph OS license questions
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
Quote from: kolla;612140
And, OS4 is not tied to the hardware.

Literally not, but in practise it is in the cases many have said here against MorphOS's policy.

Quote from: Franko;612143
I'd still like to give it try using the trial period

Just to make sure, it isn't like trial period is with many other programs. You can use it as long as you want. Feel free to use it 10 years without registration, it just slows down after 30 mins on every session and gives you nagging requester. You can continue to use it anyway and you aren't forced to reboot, but reboot will make it fast for another 30 mins again and again.

but these licence things really bug me, if for example I can't transfer the licence to a another machine if I decide to buy another computer then there is no way I'd purchase a licence... :)

You have been given many options. My advice is to buy good enough machine which you aren't going to give up anytime soon. Or get some dirt cheap test machine before buying proper one for registration.
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.