Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sound in MorphOS problem  (Read 2073 times)

Description:

Offline Fab

• Show all replies
Re: Sound in MorphOS problem
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:08:50 PM »
Quote from: dougal;586427
Sometimes sound works, and sometimes it does not.

My system is a Power Mac G4.

I know that you are supposed to use a SB Live! and NOT the on-board sound of the Mac, but then how come sometimes sound works? Even on Youtube i get sound, but sometimes.

Is there some sort of hack or unofficial driver? as i dont have a SB Live! and id much rather use the Mac's built in sound card anyway.

Ok, there's many different topics involved here, actually. :)

Onboard sound works only for later powermac g4 models (3,4 to 3,6 IIRC). That said, in some cases (there are several slightly different powermac configs), the chip config is a bit particular and as a consequence, the gain is too low. This should be addressed in a next version. If you're in that too low volume case, you might want to use a SBLive. If you do, make sure you set SBLive mode for all ahi units, and not only for music unit: go to system preferences -> audio, and in the list at the top, go through each type (music unit, unit 0..3), and select the sblive HiFi 16bits stereo++ mode for each.

Now, about youtube, there's a bit more to know about AHI: OWB uses the AHI music unit, which is unfortunately exclusive (meaning if audio is allocated for it, not other application can access audio). This mode was used for latency reasons, but the problem is webkit will sometimes "leak" a media player instance (including audio task) until it thinks it doesn't need it anymore (in all cases, it will be disposed at program exit), which means audio might not be accessible anymore. Fortunately, there's a solution to make that exclusive mode non exclusive. :)
In system prefs -> audio, you would choose for music unit: "Unit0: mode". That way, it will redirect music unit requests to the shared ahi units.

Oh, and while i think about it... I hope you're not using Flash to play youtube content, but HTML5 (with the help of supplied userscripts). See OWB.readme in youtube section, in case you wouldn't.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:48:24 PM by Fab »