Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First time MorphOS user / intermittent blank screen…  (Read 5526 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: First time MorphOS user / intermittent blank screen…
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 21, 2010, 08:55:10 PM »
That is odd. I have My Powermac hooked to an LCD monitor via the DVI connector on my Radeon 9200 and I am not experiencing any problems.

However, if using the VGA input eliminates the problem, why not just stick with that? The video quality differences would be minor.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 08:56:14 PM »
Quote from: dfreniche;586119

Mine is a Mac Mini with 32MB VRAM. 15bit color depth, so 50% VRAM free. Will try the frequency trick.

If anyone knows the solution, please enligthen us!

You can disable "enhanced" display in all screens to save up some gfx ram (although I think newer versions have it disabled as default for gfx cards with few MB of ram you could disable double buffer too).
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline dfreniche

• Show only replies by dfreniche
    • http://blog.freniche.com
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 09:04:32 PM »
The problem exists from the very beginning. I've tried enhanced and normal. Still think the problem is with refresh frequency
Thanks for your reply
A1200D(Blizzard 68030,32MB,Wifi,IdeFix,CDROM), A1200D(Apollo 68030,8MB),A600,A500
I maintain a site on everything, Amiga too (in Spanish)
Regards to all amiga fans!   :-)

Offline FigRollTopic starter

• Show only replies by FigRoll
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
What is the refresh rate of picture? If it is more than 50 Hz you can  try to lower it. This reduces DVI bandwidth and may save you buying dual  link cable.        
The refresh rate is 50Hz.

I had a look around Currys tonight, DVI-D cable for £45!! (and I need two!!) Have bought two from Ebay, hopefully they will be OK.

However, if using the VGA input eliminates the problem, why not just  stick with that? The video quality differences would be minor.        
Using the VGA connector would be a little bit of a pain as I use another two computers and the Mac-Mini through a KVM.

I will report back when I try the new cables.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »
Sorry for digging up old threads, but i just bought a Mac Mini and i'm having the same issue. The monitor
goes black for some seconds. I also tried using a lower color depth but that didn't seem to help.

I have a Mac Mini 1.42GHz with 32MB Gfxmem (afaik).

I'm using DVI -> HDMI-adapter and i'm using 1920x1200 and also use a KVM (but only for mouse/keyboard) HDMI-cable is connected directly from the DVI->HDMI-adapter of the Mac to the monitor.

It worked fine on VGA here too, but the picture quality was pretty bad, so it's not really usable.

Is there any solution to this problem?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:42:24 PM by fryguy »

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
1st , contrary to what has been suggested before, buying a D_DVI cable won't solve anything that couldn't be solved by buying a single-DVI cable as the 2nd DVI isn't even connected on the MacMini (or any other GFX-card
2nd 1920x1200@60Hz is the absolute maximum a single link DVI can do, so problems with signal losses are to be expected.

3rd the DVI-part of the Mini is prone to complete failure (leaving you with only VGA) but sofar I haven't heard of this bug sneaking up but allways going from 100% working to total failure in an instant.

What you could try:
- Use other adaptor/cable
- reduce used bandwitdh by going a lower res.

I'm also not sure, what your actual setup is.... you write HDMI which suggests a TV, but those are all 16:9 not 16:10 implying 1920x1080 as optimal res.

If it is an actual 16:10 monitor, doesn't it have a DVI input you might want to try (eliminating the need for an adaptor ?
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Geit

• Show only replies by Geit
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
The problem is the Mac minis hardware. I have the same issue with a FullHD screen.

Due the tollerance of the display VGA works better, but DVI turns the display into a flickering hell.

The problem is the build in radeon chip which wasn´t developed for such high resolutions/frequences. I even can reproduce the effect with OSX. When using OSX itis just not that often, as Apple may used some more finetuned values to setup the resolution.

Geit

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;763398
1st , contrary to what has been suggested before, buying a D_DVI cable won't solve anything that couldn't be solved by buying a single-DVI cable as the 2nd DVI isn't even connected on the MacMini (or any other GFX-card
2nd 1920x1200@60Hz is the absolute maximum a single link DVI can do, so problems with signal losses are to be expected.

3rd the DVI-part of the Mini is prone to complete failure (leaving you with only VGA) but sofar I haven't heard of this bug sneaking up but allways going from 100% working to total failure in an instant.

What you could try:
- Use other adaptor/cable
- reduce used bandwitdh by going a lower res.

I'm also not sure, what your actual setup is.... you write HDMI which suggests a TV, but those are all 16:9 not 16:10 implying 1920x1080 as optimal res.

If it is an actual 16:10 monitor, doesn't it have a DVI input you might want to try (eliminating the need for an adaptor ?

Its connected to a monitor, the DVI is used up by my PC. But i can of course try DVI without the hdmi adapter, but it dont think it will make any difference

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
Quote from: Geit;763400
The problem is the Mac minis hardware. I have the same issue with a FullHD screen.

Due the tollerance of the display VGA works better, but DVI turns the display into a flickering hell.

The problem is the build in radeon chip which wasn´t developed for such high resolutions/frequences. I even can reproduce the effect with OSX. When using OSX itis just not that often, as Apple may used some more finetuned values to setup the resolution.

Geit

OK so its either using lower resolution or VGA then i guess.