Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: First time MorphOS user / intermittent blank screen…  (Read 5557 times)

Description:

Offline FigRollTopic starter

• Show all replies
First time MorphOS user / intermittent blank screen…
« on: October 20, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
I recently bought a Mac-Mini to install MorphOS, finally got to do it yesterday and it looks great!!

Boots-up fine and runs well apart from the screen goes blank for a second, then back to normal. This seems to happen at random times. It did happen occasionally with MacOS but not as often as with MorphOS.

The monitor is a Dell 24 inch (E248WFP) running at 1920 x 1200. It runs fine on Windows 7 and has never ever gone blank. I use a KVM switch, but have checked connected directly to the monitor and the problem stays. Have also tried different cables.

Any ideas would be gratefully received…

• Show all replies
Re: First time MorphOS user / intermittent blank screen…
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

I have taken the Mac-Mini to a friend’s house and tried on another monitor and its fine, the resolution there was 1280 x 1024.

The graphics card is a Radeon 9200 with 32MB Ram, is this enough Ram to work at a resolution of 1920 x 1200. I see in the ReadMe file 128MB is recommended?

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:18:20 PM »
Playing around a bit more… If I use the VGA input on the monitor it works fine…

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
Thanks again for the responses…

After boot-up 18MB of video Ram is used, this is at 1920 x 1200.

DVI connections through the KVM or connected directly to the monitor blink, about one second of proper screen followed by three seconds blank, repeating… However using the DVI to VGA converter and connecting to the VGA input on the monitor eliminates the problem.

So, as suggested by Dragster I think it might be down to the cables, I will look out for some DVI-D Dual link cables and see if that will help.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
What is the refresh rate of picture? If it is more than 50 Hz you can  try to lower it. This reduces DVI bandwidth and may save you buying dual  link cable.        
The refresh rate is 50Hz.

I had a look around Currys tonight, DVI-D cable for £45!! (and I need two!!) Have bought two from Ebay, hopefully they will be OK.

However, if using the VGA input eliminates the problem, why not just  stick with that? The video quality differences would be minor.        
Using the VGA connector would be a little bit of a pain as I use another two computers and the Mac-Mini through a KVM.

I will report back when I try the new cables.

Thanks to everyone for the input.