Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Making the Mac Mini & MorphOS plunge  (Read 4349 times)

Description:

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

Making the Mac Mini & MorphOS plunge
« on: July 21, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
So, I pick up tomorrow a Mac Mini 1.25GHz that has 160GB HDD internal and a external LaCie Hub/250GB HDD.  Downloading the .iso now and plan on burning the CD on my Macbook Air so I am ready to try this whole MorphOS thing out.

Wish me luck.  8-)

I have minimal Amiga experience but lots of Mac know-how but this OS looks nice in that it is speedy so that is my goal, have an OS that is fast.  Being able to run Amiga apps is a plus.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: Making the Mac Mini & MorphOS plunge
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:17:25 AM »
I guess if you're not an Amiga user recently i guess you'll probably need a little time to find yourself convenient. A few things work different than on other systems, but all in all most things (incl. installation) are very forward.

If you don't want to wipe out OS X completely you should read the dual boot tutorial by Piru -> dreamolers.binaryriot.org/dualboot.pdf

Just play around and don't hesitate to ask questions here, at morphzone #morphos or #?

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:22:42 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;571249
I guess if you're not an Amiga user recently i guess you'll probably need a little time to find yourself convenient. A few things work different than on other systems, but all in all most things (incl. installation) are very forward.

If you don't want to wipe out OS X completely you should read the dual boot tutorial by Piru -> dreamolers.binaryriot.org/dualboot.pdf

Just play around and don't hesitate to ask questions here, at morphzone #morphos or #?

Yup, already downloaded the dual boot infos.

Thanks

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:53:42 AM »
A perfect example of the success of MorphOS!  A former Amiga user (even ones with limited experience) that then moved on to a Mac is now returning to Amiga via MorphOS on Mac PPC hardware.

I would say that the MorphOS Development Team hit a "Bulls-Eye" in their targeted market.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:16:29 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;571259
A perfect example of the success of MorphOS!  A former Amiga user (even ones with limited experience) that then moved on to a Mac is now returning to Amiga via MorphOS on Mac PPC hardware.

I would say that the MorphOS Development Team hit a "Bulls-Eye" in their targeted market.

Almost my story but not quite.  I am actually originally an Atari user from 70s to 90s to then move onto Mac.  Saw this new X1000 coming this year in the news and purchased my first Amiga, a A1000, and now interested in Amiga.  :roflmao:

Before 2010, I never owned an Amiga but figured I would get one someday.  It has impressed me enough to continue watching the X1000 news and along the way, since I am a machead, saw this MorphOS and liked what I have seen so far.

So, I am giving it a dabble soon.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:21:53 AM »
Quote from: zylesea;571249

So, tell me this.  I subscribe to AmigaFuture Magazine.  It comes with a CD every issue.  Will I be able to insert that CD in my MorphOS Mini and actually use the Amiga apps that come on the CD?  Is Amiga compatibility fairly good in that aspect or will I really only be able to download MorphOS apps from the net and use those?

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline HammerD

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:27:59 AM »
Quote from: amigasociety;571263
So, tell me this.  I subscribe to AmigaFuture Magazine.  It comes with a CD every issue.  Will I be able to insert that CD in my MorphOS Mini and actually use the Amiga apps that come on the CD?  Is Amiga compatibility fairly good in that aspect or will I really only be able to download MorphOS apps from the net and use those?

tj

You should be able to use most apps unless they are chipset-hitting games or demos.

If so, you would need to run those under an emulator like UAE.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:28:15 AM by HammerD »
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:26:04 AM »
Quote from: amigasociety;571262
Almost my story but not quite.  I am actually originally an Atari user from 70s to 90s to then move onto Mac.  Saw this new X1000 coming this year in the news and purchased my first Amiga, a A1000, and now interested in Amiga.  :roflmao:

Before 2010, I never owned an Amiga but figured I would get one someday.  It has impressed me enough to continue watching the X1000 news and along the way, since I am a machead, saw this MorphOS and liked what I have seen so far.

So, I am giving it a dabble soon.

tj

That is an interesting story and path to becoming an Amiga user.  It is also an even more successful story for MorphOS and the X1000 hardware announcement.  The X1000 for generating enough interest in Amiga in you to cause you to look deeper and find out about MorphOS on old PPC Mac hardware and MorphOS for making it so easy to demo their OS by porting it to very affordable hardware that runs faster than any previous Amiga hardware.

Although MorphOS2.5 and AmigaOS4.1.2 are different in many ways, they are probably similar in more ways than they are different and both OSes are basically created by and for the same group of former Classic Amiga users with hopes that they might also interest a few other computer geeks (like you).

As you might have guessed, I like MorphOS2.5 and consider it just as much an "Amiga" OS as any other OS available past or present, because I judge it by how it works and what it does, not by the spelling of it's name, or who currently owns the rights to use the name AmigaOS.  I hope that you will enjoy using it as much as I do and will purchase a keyfile and register it (registration is currently at a reduced rate of 111 euro's instead of 150 euro's).

Have fun!
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;571263

tj

You can use virtually all Amiga 68k apps that don't rely on the original Amiga chipset (read: everything except old games and weird stuff). Newer software on the AmigaFuture CD oftenly gets compiled for 68k, OS4 and MorphOS, I guess all versions are available on the CD then.
Sometimes you findd really old apps that you wouldn't expect to run (I have a few things from the late 80ies that do run), for other stuff that doesn't run directly onMorphOS there is an UAE port available which you can nicely integrate into Ambients context menus, so that doubleclicking an adf file just launches the app with an instance of UAE. very nice and convenient.
However you cannot run OS4 apps. Or to be precise, most of them. A few do actually run on MorphOS when you install a little wrapper app called OS4Emu. Anyway, MorphOS has a nice base on native software today (more or less the same ammount as OS4). A good source for MorphOS software is http://morphzone.morphos-files.ppa.pl/categories.php and of course the good old aminet.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:17:33 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;571246
So, I pick up tomorrow a Mac Mini 1.25GHz that has 160GB HDD internal and a external LaCie Hub/250GB HDD.  Downloading the .iso now and plan on burning the CD on my Macbook Air so I am ready to try this whole MorphOS thing out.

Boyaka! :)

Congratulations! :)

Wish me luck.  8-)

Eh, Good Luck then! ;)

I have minimal Amiga experience but lots of Mac know-how but this OS looks nice in that it is speedy so that is my goal, have an OS that is fast.  Being able to run Amiga apps is a plus.

Well, I'd say the best way to actually learn the OS, is to fiddle with it, asking questions (here or on morphzone.org), and step by step installing applications, setting the system up, and so on (there isn't much there to begin with).

However, there might be a shortcut suitable for you if you quickly want to get a *flying start*:

Ultimate Pack 1.6.0 for MorphOS 2.5!

Have yet to try this myself, but AFAIK you will get a wide selection of applications etc pre-installed and set up in an instant, so you can instantly start using stuff.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 10:53:05 PM »
I desperately want to buy an emac or mac mini to install morphos on.

I've been out of work for like 18 months and finally, after months of interviews and no call back I finally got a new decent day gig again.

I don't start for one more month but as soon as I recover a bit from my current dismal financial state, an emac and morph is the first thing I'm buying myself.

Let us know how you like it and how your experience with it goes...

Steven

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 11:23:28 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;571459
I desperately want to buy an emac or mac mini to install morphos on.

I've been out of work for like 18 months and finally, after months of interviews and no call back I finally got a new decent day gig again.

I don't start for one more month but as soon as I recover a bit from my current dismal financial state, an emac and morph is the first thing I'm buying myself.

Steven

It's a funny thing. I found that when I had the time to indulge my amiga habit, I couldn't really afford it. Now that I can, I don't have the time :-/
int p; // A

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 07:06:42 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;571459

Steven

Well, installed and booting now.  I wiped out the mini's OS X and re-installed a fresh 10.5 on it after making my 3 partitions.  Then installed MorphOS.  Have not played with it much yet but 1st observation, that it does not save the state of the windows the way I set them up.  They open in their original spot and size.  Maybe this is an Amiga thing and I have to do something for sizes and movements of windows to stick.  Anyway..... I do have some questions for those MorphOS gurus.

Install seemed to go fine.  At the end where my dual boot .PDF tells me this is what my window should look like right before I click the INSTALL button, mine only showed the 20GB MorphOS DH1 partition.  My 1st partition DH0 was renamed to Boot as it asked and my DH1 was renamed Morph but only the DH1 Morph showed in that last window where I then clicked install, all did what it should, and when done I was able to boot from the hard drive into MorphOS.

But, when I boot to OS X, that Boot partition shows up and I get a damaged message on boot and says I can fix it (which I did not).

So, what did I not do right for that first Boot partition to show at the end during the install portion?  My 1st partition was a 1GB as that is the smallest OS X 10.5 would go down to.  Then made 20GB for Morph and 90GB for OS X.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 07:12:25 AM »
Quote from: amigasociety;571532
Well, installed and booting now.  I wiped out the mini's OS X and re-installed a fresh 10.5 on it after making my 3 partitions.  Then installed MorphOS.  Have not played with it much yet but 1st observation, that it does not save the state of the windows the way I set them up.  They open in their original spot and size.  Maybe this is an Amiga thing and I have to do something for sizes and movements of windows to stick.

Yuo can enable it from MUI settings. On the desktop from settings menu -> Global MUI settings. I can not remember out of hat (I am at the work now) but IIRC Windows -> Remember window positions on exit. Or something like that. I wish this was enabled by default...

You can also save window positions manually by snapshotting them. There is small dropdown menu in top right window bar. Select snapshot and window position/size is remembered.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »
Should my DH0 that was renamed Boot show up in MorpHOS someplace?  Mounted someplace?  Does it supposed to be showing in OS X also and me getting that message that it needs to be fixed?  I have a feeling I did not quite get that part of things right....although.... I would think the install would not work if I did not have it named Boot and all that fun stuff.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000