Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Legal is MorphOS?  (Read 5915 times)

Description:

Offline djrikki

• Show all replies
Re: How Legal is MorphOS?
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
MorphOS should get their own forum or if they have one.. use it.  MorphOS isn't Amiga and Amiga isn't MorphOS.

They just come here to market their software that is all, but I guess there is nothing wholly wrong in doing that.

But at the end of the day MorphOS will take it's own route and go where it wants (and die eventually) where as Amiga OS still has the brand name in a positive light and will live a good while yet. I have loads of mates in the 30+ age range who still fondly remember the Amiga for what it represented even if they didn't own one themselves.

Brand name means alot to alot of people and Amiga was the one brand that at that time in history had the technological edge over all its competitors - of course Commodore was badly managed and marketed and thus they killed the Amiga we knew back then.  I firmly believe that if Commodore had the brains, the direction and the commitment and proper marketing in place there would be no Apple today and Microsoft would have been relegated to developing their productivity software only such was the technological advantage the Amiga had at that time.

Back to 2010.  Retro-gaming is big once again as a new generation discovers the 'golden years in computing' - Hyperion/A-Eon needs to capitalise on this fast and progressively market this thing in the summer across the four corners of the internet.  Don't spend too much time on it, but make sure that the X1000 can easily load .ADF files more seamlessly.  For offline marketing they should focus on what has for a long time been the spiritual home of the Amiga - Europe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:48:15 AM by djrikki »

Offline djrikki

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
Maybe, but MorphOS won't catch on in the real world that I live in.  If MorphOS really cared about the Amiga (which clearly they do to an extent as they based their whole OS around it) and ($$$) wanted to make some real money they should ditch MorphOS and join AOS4.1 as thats where real money lies.

The MorphOS team have proved they can make a working OS and have played their cards and showed they have some real talent; now is the time to put it all to some real use and support the platform - the Amiga.  All it takes is one phone call.

Offline djrikki

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »
Quote from: the_leander;567520
For many people, neither is any of the
So what you want is for the X1000, which will cost "north of £1500" to be marketed as a UAE box? Even when the OS4 version of UAE is markedly less advanced than the windows version, and when fpga based solutions costing a fraction are available now?

I swear every time I read this sort of tripe, the reasons for my misgivings over AmigaNG are made all the more clear.

I was merely stating that it would be a nicety, a great bonus feature as it were; there is so much to 'Amiga' than gaming - perhaps I should have put that in brackets I didn't mean use that as a means to market the product - sorry for the misunderstanding.

Offline djrikki

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
Snippets of it yes.  We are talking about different people now with different ideas and goals and ambitions.  You can't brand them (Hyperion) with the 'crap' that went off over the past 10 years.  A.Inc no longer has anything to do with Amiga, Hyperion do, Hyperion are the ones taking the OS positively forward step by step.

It maybe a hobbyist market right now, but it certainly doesn't have to be this way forever.  Yes you are right this is probably the final chance for the Amiga, I am not that naive I don't expect Amiga to 'take over the world'.  But regardless the world is still a place of opportunities, it can't be just PC and Apple forever - every industry has to have competition or there is stagnation and no innovation.  With the right management team in place and dedication there is nothing at all stopping them from taking a bigger chunk.