Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A question  (Read 3240 times)

Description:

Offline bawsackTopic starter

• Show only replies by bawsack
A question
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:35:43 AM »
Hey,

Just a stupid question, I have a Mac Mini G4, 40gig hd, 512MB ram etc. I want to know what exactly I can do with Morph OS:

What applications are available?
Can I run Amiga games/apps?
What is the flaws to the OS?

Any info would be great
Cheers,
Justin
Commodore Amiga 600 -Standard
Commodore Amiga 1200 - 2MB Chip RAM, 4MB FastRAM, 4GB Flash HD.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:25:51 PM »
- look at http://morphos-files.net/index2.php and http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/en/

- yes/no anything that works on an CGX/P96-Screen and uses AHI for sound should work
   UAE on the Mini is fast enough to run all classic games&app add orginial speed

- none offcourse ;) Some might say the lack of "TEH NAME" is a flaw, but I'd rather say it's a blessing..... It's (IMO offcourse) everything AmigaOS should have developed into after C= crashed and things went out of control.

Since you allready have a Mini, download http://www.morphos-team.net/morphos-2.4.iso burn it and boot the Mini from it. This will give you a (time limited) Demo of MorphOS, no need to install or to buy until your convinced it's worth it.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »
From what I gather, MOS2 offers excellent software compatibility with system-friendly m68k, WarpOS and PowerUP applications. For hardware banging stuff, I'm sure UAE has that base covered.
int p; // A

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »
do you know much it is for morph os? i cant seem to find a page where i can buy it?

-justin

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:01:59 AM »
the faq says it costs 150 euro.

http://www.morphos-team.net/faq.html

I'm not sure about this, but there should be a register app in the demo version of the MOS. You fill out that form and get an e-mail of sorts with details on payment etc I guess ...

now that I think about it the 150 euro price is a bit of a turn off, if they lowered it down they'ld get much more people in the 'camp'.
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline DBAlex

• Show only replies by DBAlex
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 10:37:26 AM »
Quote from: bawsack;552905
do you know much it is for morph os? i cant seem to find a page where i can buy it?

-justin

It's €150 (About £130), which is still the only thing that puts me off getting it (I have a 1.5ghz PPC Mac Mini...)

I can't really see why the license has to be so high... for another £70 you can get a netbook from some shops... :-O

Anyway, if you think it's worth it then i'm sure it's easy to register via the ISO posted previously.

Alex.
Machines:
- A1200, Blizzard 1260 w/ 64MB RAM, 1.2GB HD, PCMCIA WiFi, AGA w/ RGB Adapter, OS3.9
- Pegasos I, G3 600Mhz, 512MB, Radeon 9200se, 80GB HD, AmigaKit WiFi Card, MOS 1.4.5
- Mac Mini, G4 1.5ghz, 512MB (1GB Soon), Radeon 9200 64MB, 80GB HD, OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
- PCs, Laptops... *yawn*... :D

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:15:56 AM »
R&D costs I would think. Tell them open source some of it so they speed up development.

A better question would be: How does Microsoft justify it's prices?
Go Go Gadget Signature!

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »
Quote from: DBAlex;552918
It's €150 (About £130), which is still the only thing that puts me off getting it (I have a 1.5ghz PPC Mac Mini...)

I can't really see why the license has to be so high... for another £70 you can get a netbook from some shops... :-O

Anyway, if you think it's worth it then i'm sure it's easy to register via the ISO posted previously.

Alex.

jeez. im not paying that amount lol. even mac os x is cheaper than that. i actually thought it was open source, hence being free or reasonably cheap. i actually bought a new keyboard and mouse for my mac to use morph os, so i think ill take back my brand new keyboard and mouse and buy a commodore 64 which i spotted for 25 quid :)

-justin

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »
Quote from: bawsack;552925
jeez. im not paying that amount lol. even mac os x is cheaper than that. i actually thought it was open source, hence being free or reasonably cheap. i actually bought a new keyboard and mouse for my mac to use morph os, so i think ill take back my brand new keyboard and mouse and buy a commodore 64 which i spotted for 25 quid :)

-justin

I would recommend you do a bit more research the next time.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
i did do some research mate, but i couldnt find a price anywhere. hence i came here, i apologise for asking questions :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 12:57:14 PM »
Quote from: bawsack;552941
i did do some research mate, but i couldnt find a price anywhere. hence i came here, i apologise for asking questions :)

As far as I know, you are free to download and try it, but it won't run for more than 30 mins until you buy it.

I don't think the price is unreasonable. The amiga has always been a small volume (and thus expensive) hobby. OS4.1 doesn't cost much less than that (I paid about 100UKP) and unless you already have a compatible machine to run it on, is probably going to end up costing rather more than MOS2 with a second hand mac mini.

If you want a free Amiga OS implementation for newer hardware, you should give AROS a try.
int p; // A

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:35 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;552946
As far as I know, you are free to download and try it, but it won't run for more than 30 mins until you buy it.

I don't think the price is unreasonable. The amiga has always been a small volume (and thus expensive) hobby. OS4.1 doesn't cost much less than that (I paid about 100UKP) and unless you already have a compatible machine to run it on, is probably going to end up costing rather more than MOS2 with a second hand mac mini.

If you want a free Amiga OS implementation for newer hardware, you should give AROS a try.

ok thanks :)