Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UK Government investigating higher taxes on SUVs  (Read 1067 times)

Description:

Offline PMCTopic starter

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
UK Government investigating higher taxes on SUVs
« on: June 29, 2004, 03:40:44 PM »
YES!

After seven years of unintelligible and downright vicious policy making toward the motorist, the HM department of transport finally has a good idea....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3850225.stm

At the risk of being controversial, SUVs are less fuel efficient, less safe and have far worse handling characteristics on road than most estate cars.

If I were minister of transport, I'd have all the damn things crushed unless the owner had a damn good excuse for running one (ie, farmers, rural vets etc)
Cecilia for President

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: UK Government investigating higher taxes on SUVs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 04:09:09 PM »
My neighbour has one. He really doesn't need it, except as a status symbol.

Offline PMCTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 04:23:19 PM »

KennyR wrote:
My neighbour has one. He really doesn't need it, except as a status symbol.

Exactly.

Crush them all now!

:pissed:
Cecilia for President

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 04:37:55 PM »
I was thinking of printing some anti-4x4 stickers (they have some good ideas on this site, in french) and then running around my neighbourhood under the cover of night sticking them on the many petrol guzzlers in the area. It's a stupid fashion statement. No one goes off-road around here! What's the point?

I'm committed now. If I can find some english anti-suv stickers, or make some myself, I'll let you know how my evil plan goes.

I'm Changing the Climate

[edit]hahaha, check out the fun for the whole family! video :-D[/edit]

-zudo
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

Offline MAD

• Show only replies by MAD
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 06:17:18 PM »
Hoya!

Hehe... It reminds me of the single mum with her two kids raoming around in a big Chrysler Voyager... Naff.

Be funky

M A D
:afro: AMIGA :afro:
- The Computer With A Soul-

Offline PMCTopic starter

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 10:10:57 PM »

Hehe... It reminds me of the single mum with her two kids raoming around in a big Chrysler Voyager... Naff.

I've got to be a little careful here...  My Alfa ain't the most fuel efficient vehicle on the planet BUT it isn't an SUV.  

They're most intimidating when driven aggressively, and because of their construction (and the fact that most of them are derived from trucks) means they're inherently less safe in an accident and also more difficult to control when wheels and tarmac have a falling out when compared with a "normal" vehicle.

There's a theory that penis envy is a factor in the SUV buying process....
Cecilia for President

Offline T_Bone

• Show only replies by T_Bone
    • http://www.amiga.org/userinfo.php?uid=1961
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 01:15:18 PM »

PMC wrote:
YES!

After seven years of unintelligible and downright vicious policy making toward the motorist, the HM department of transport finally has a good idea....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3850225.stm

At the risk of being controversial, SUVs are less fuel efficient, less safe and have far worse handling characteristics on road than most estate cars.

If I were minister of transport, I'd have all the damn things crushed unless the owner had a damn good excuse for running one (ie, farmers, rural vets etc)

Oh brother.

It's a game folks. They're pitting you people against each other so you won't notice them taking your money.

First they'll tax SUV owners more because "SUV's Are eViL"

(non SUV users cheer and feel they are "winning")

Then they'll tax small car owners more because they recieve more damage in an accident.

(SUV users cheer and feel they are "winning")

End result? Someone has just robbed all of you, yet you all feel you're "getting even" with others. :roll:

Classic class warfare being used as camo for robbing the public blind.
this space for rent

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 01:40:17 PM »

T_Bone wrote:

Oh brother.

It's a game folks. They're pitting you people against each other so you won't notice them taking your money.

First they'll tax SUV owners more because "SUV's Are eViL"

(non SUV users cheer and feel they are "winning")

Then they'll tax small car owners more because they recieve more damage in an accident.

(SUV users cheer and feel they are "winning")

End result? Someone has just robbed all of you, yet you all feel you're "getting even" with others. :roll:

Classic class warfare being used as camo for robbing the public blind.

There's some truth in what you're saying. But I don't think it's really a class issue. Many people in this area are in similar lines of work and of the same class, some drive powerful expensive to run SUV's, others drive cheaper to fuel cars. Every car owner in this country is already being taxed for fuel, use of the road, has massive insurance costs, etc... No-one has any doubt that they are being robbed. And it is going to get worse.

My advice, if you can get away with it, don't own a car! I manage just fine without one but wonder if that would be the case if I had a family or worked further a field, or had a job that required some travel. Probably not.

What I'd like to see is the government putting all this money they are "robbing" into the public transport system, which is presently falling down and going rotten.

-zudo
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

Offline PMCTopic starter

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 10:20:39 PM »
@T-Bone

You're absolutely right of course....

Your comment summed up the attitude of our ruling Labour party toward the motorist.  They see us as a cash cow and intend to play the environmental card each time they squeeze us that little bit tighter.

It's why there are thousands of speed cameras installed along relatively safe stretches of road while the accident hotspots go unmonitored.  No amount of government spin will change the way I vote in less than a year's time with one objective - to see Labour out of office. I resent paying extra taxes to fund a war that the British public were hoodwinked into accepting because of more government misinformation.

However, the SUV represents all that's bad in society.  They're generally unnecessary and if you've ever driven on Britain's narrow, congested roads they're nothing short of a menace.
Cecilia for President