Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga Brand (and Logo)  (Read 2763 times)

Description:

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
Re: The Amiga Brand (and Logo)
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 01, 2003, 06:46:51 PM »
I think you have made some very good points grandma.

I think that brand identity was lost somewhere between C= dieing and Amino buying Amiga.  The thing is that the italic logo (and also to a lesser extent the tick) were the amiga's identity.  Companies spend millions when they change brand identity, partially because they need to inform the public of the change.  With Amiga this was never done.  Also the changes were never solidified properly, and inconsistancy has crept in.  It also didn't help that there were numerous different designers all giving the brand ID erm different IDs.

There is also the issue that individual product lines and the company itself have no distiguishing identies, its a blur of typefaces and boingballs.

Last year I posted on here a set of ideas for unifying the identity of the brand, whilst distinguising company and products. see http://deadlock.netdork.net/Amiga2002/

Looking back, it's a bit messed up, but hopefully you can see what I was trying to achieve and where I was heading design wise particularly with the boxes and the website.

Offline aardvark

• Show only replies by aardvark
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2003, 07:03:30 PM »
Does anyone know the names of the fonts used in all these iterations of the Amiga name?  Is it Times Roman or Bodini or what? What someone should do (beyond my capabilities  :-)  ) is to design a font recognition program that could read a scanned page of text or images that could tell you 'this is Courier bold 10 pt., this is Helveti italic 18 pt.' That sort of thing.  Sure would help when you were trying to match styles.

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2003, 07:06:18 PM »
grandma:well i dont buy the logo , i buy what the logo has... and beyond that...seen the very bad mc donalds commercials lately?  or the very bad coca cola commercials ? .

its all a matter of personal reasons, one think this...other think that.

if amiga logo was changed (which it hasnt...kdh has made the logo by their own (a1), it will still have the name and the product , the logo should change over time unless the is some real changes to be done , ie like amiga was cut in half and they offered other stuff than computers/software.

but then again i always loved the real amiga logo and that was and still is "THE V" .

as a next thing in this would be, you know people know what amiga is , if they doesnt then they are very young or never been into computers.
the young people are now the potential customers and this is where u need to hit em with something NEW , ie you dont flash a magazine from 1958 of donalduck to a newbie , he wouldnt understand the value or the point.

thats my humble opinions anyway.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline lempkee

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2003, 07:09:04 PM »
uncharted:hmmz u didnt happen to work for "ALIVE" some years ago ? , that design really looks like alive's design for their games covers/releases.

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 07:24:45 PM »
While the "suspension bridge" design does appear on the outer slip cover of many packs, it is the serifed italic[/i] Capitals logo that has been consistent!

This is the original commodore logo from their 8bit era! On the A2000 front panel (and keyboard), the "C=" and "Commodore" is WHITE and the leading letter now a CAPITAL. "AMIGA 2000[/i]" is rendered below Commodore in the serifed italic[/i] Capitals.

The Workbench disks (version 1.2) also have this font:

The LAST hardware model, the CD32[/i], also sports this font:

OS 3.1[/i] was distributed and manufactured by Village Tronic GmbH after Commodore International filed for liquidation in 1994:

This was the first version of the OS to be specifically coded taking 24bit Graghics Cards into account. After Escom bought Amiga, the logo and font was changed!

Interestingly, before Commodore the Amiga logo and font was rendered in a continuous neon-type futuristic design:

logo in lower RH corner
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 09:58:29 PM »

lempkee wrote:
uncharted:hmmz u didnt happen to work for "ALIVE" some years ago ? , that design really looks like alive's design for their games covers/releases.

No, I've never worked for Alive.  Actually I've never seen any of thier games, just heard about the problems with their company ripping off people. :-(

The only place you are likely to of seen my work was the OS4 advert in Total Amiga magazine.  I also worked on the design of the APP site, but haven't been involved with that for quite some time.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2003, 03:38:37 AM »

aardvark wrote:
Does anyone know the names of the fonts used in all these iterations of the Amiga name?  Is it Times Roman or Bodini or what? What someone should do (beyond my capabilities  :-)  ) is to design a font recognition program that could read a scanned page of text or images that could tell you 'this is Courier bold 10 pt., this is Helveti italic 18 pt.' That sort of thing.  Sure would help when you were trying to match styles.

http://www.identifont.com

Offline aardvark

• Show only replies by aardvark
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2003, 07:51:51 AM »
Very useful that web site.  The Amiga OS italic lettering is very likely Times New Roman Italic Bold :pint:

Offline lempkee

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2003, 08:27:39 AM »
uncharted:  ok , i never meant that as an insult , i know who the bad ducks are in alive so.
( thats . www.amigagames.co.uk , amigastuff.co.uk etc. )

anyway your type of design looks like alive's design, guess they stole that from you , like they have stole everything else... ;(

anyway i never said i didnt like your style , its rather simple and straight forward and that aint a negative thing, not in my eyes anyway.

keep it on! and remeber you can still submitt stuff to the aos4 loop.
(or peg even)

cheers.

Offline Orjan

• Show only replies by Orjan
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2003, 08:32:20 AM »
Whats wrong with this one? :)

\\"Memory is like an orgasm. It\\\'s a lot better if you don\\\'t have to fake it.\\"
- Seymore Cray, on virtual memory.