Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bounty for MorphOS port on PowerMac G5  (Read 25923 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
Re: Bounty for MorphOS port on PowerMac G5
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:15:45 PM »
YAY. I'm so glad they will do g5 support. I will definitely register morphos if/when the g5 support is working.

g5 will definitely benchmark much faster than amigaone x1000...

Steven:roflmao:

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:24:03 PM »
x1000 is not outperforming g4 processors... So I doubt g5 won't or can not beat it in benchmarks, we'll see I suppose but it dosn't look good for the 3,000$ x1000 verses a 100$ ebay g5 power mac.... That is quite a huge difference in price as far as performance.

Besides, I just think MorphOS is more highly developed than AOS4, so especially for the money I think its a much more attractive ng option, and I'll definitely be buying/builing a g5 system for morphos as soon as it becomes sure that g5 will be supported.

registered morphos and a nice g5 powermac will be like 250-300$ - sure beats 3,0000$ for a system where the drivers still are not done...

Oh and I'm pretty sure if processor speed was no longer an issue, we'd get some apps that could use the extra horsepower. Thats such a bull**** argument...
In any computer, faster and more resources is ALWAYS better.

Steven
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:28:31 PM by haywirepc »

Offline haywirepc

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 02:36:42 AM »
I think it was a brilliant move porting to mac hardware because they are so common, so cheap and you get the added benefit of it running osx, something no acube hardware however crazy expensive can not do.

I have never been a mac fan but the powerpc hw is  now cheap and nice. I suppose having spent so many years running linux, osx never excited me much. Seemed to me to be a bit nicer linux...

I have watched AOS and the hw available, I just can't justify spending so much money for such outdated old tech. a 50$ or 100$ mac is faster, and can also run osx, which is not a huge extra, but to me, having never owned an osx computer, it IS a plus...

I've been saying for awhile if they support g5 I will finally get a good g5 (maybe quad core for use with osx/final cut power pc) and finally register morphOS. Hope the bounty fills fast and they are correct in the timeframe to port to g5... That would be AWESOME. I will contribute to the bounty I suppose...