Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UltimatePPC rumor  (Read 8574 times)

Description:

Offline QuikSanz

Re: UltimatePPC rumor
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 27, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;791693
As an A2000 owner, I would not mind that myself, but then we'd also need a really good RTG card, as we don't have AGA graphics.

Just put a PCI slot extension on the CPU card. Nice to dream......

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 08:04:12 PM »
Quote from: QuikSanz;791696
Just put a PCI slot extension on the CPU card. Nice to dream......

PCI is a lot harder to interface to a 68K than most people realize.
The PT68K4 and PT68K5 boards I was using in the 80s and 90s had ISA slots which are much easier to connect to the 68K bus, but the cards available for that are more primitive.
I have two PCI bridge chips in my parts bins that are suited for use with 68K 040, 060, and earlier PPC cpus. They are still available, but they are quite complex and have some serious software requirements.

I spent a really long time considering building a system using those bridge chips, before desiding that the complexity of the needed design and the lack of decent 040 cpus made it too difficult to bother with considering the alternatives.

The last time I invested that much energy in something, I spent several months reworking a Freescale design to exchange the ALi Northbridge for a more common ATI SB600. While I was in the process of doing the board layouts, the MorphOS team released support for Mac PPC systems. As those ran just as fast or faster than what I was working on, it made continuing rather pointless.

Looking at what Jens has been talking about, makes me think we may soon be experiencing something similar.
What if instead of adding on to your A2000, you could just replace the board and have an 020/030 cpu and AGA graphics, with more memory, and maybe even a few PCI slots?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2015, 10:28:12 PM »
"What if instead of adding on to your A2000, you could just replace the board and have an 020/030 cpu and AGA graphics, with more memory, and maybe even a few PCI slots? "

Even better, replace the 68k with an FPGA core...
But this is getting way offtopic :)
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2015, 02:06:14 AM »
Quote from: Jose;791739
"What if instead of adding on to your A2000, you could just replace the board and have an 020/030 cpu and AGA graphics, with more memory, and maybe even a few PCI slots? "

Even better, replace the 68k with an FPGA core...
But this is getting way offtopic :)

Been wishing for a long time to have very fast 030 or 060 FPGA accelerator with all the goods.
Fast bus, lots of mem, SATA, and maybe some other goods like USB. Throw a couple of ZIII slots for legacy and fly.

Enough for OT

Chris

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 03:55:08 AM »
"Last minute cancellation by Ultimate PPC team" Amiga 30.
It is obviously another hoax. That is quite a few I'll just deal with them.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
Quote from: TheMagicM;791502

I think its cool I guess.  IMO...all this new overpriced/underpowered hardware kinda sucks.  I'd rather effort (read: more money) be put into bounties for MorphOS/OS4 software to encourage more development.  More software = more users.

Hmmmm - if all new hw is overpriced/underpowered and sucks, then on what machines do you want to run the OS4 software you're voting for?

AFAIK, "old OS4 capable hardware (= PPC equipped classic Amigas)" is even more underpowered and also ovderpriced...
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)