Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If C= had produced an Amiga incompatible wonder computer would you have bought it?  (Read 10936 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Quote from: bloodline;637350
My software investment was too large to simply dump, plus I would have struggled to afford anything more than £300 when I was 13...

There is no reason to have thrown out your Amiga just because you bought a second system.

I left Apple to Amiga because the Amiga was amazing.  I don't see a reason why I wouldn't have done the same had C= went to a next generation.  I will point out the differences and the wake it caused when C= went AGA.  Say C= went dual Sparc CPU system with a SMP/MP OS which broke 3.1 API to hell and back, I'd buy it without question because it would be a major evolutionary step by C=.  TBH, I would have expected C= to take massive jumps like the Vic20/C64 to Amiga on a semi-regular basis, technology permitting and not be chained to the grave.

One of the reasons why C= failed is because C= failed to take those evolutionary steps.  Even if C= went with Intel based Amigas, they could have gotten away with forcing the slightly slower 486s they had sitting in warehouses to the Amiga (called it Amiga 1486 for AIO design) while they bought the next slightly faster 486s for their Window and big Amiga boxes to maintain competitive sales.  Add in the next generation Amiga gfx was going to be PCI, just produce a Windows driver for it, instant money maker in both computer worlds.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Quote from: bloodline;637355
@dammy

I would have to have sold my Amiga to help fund the purchase of the new machine. Don't forget I was 13 in '93!

The poll said "would" and not "could."  Therefore you can ignore the financial aspect of buying a new system.  I had my Apple for awhile after I got the A500, I see no reason why I would have dumped it immediately after buying a new Uber Amiga if it wasn't backward compatible.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.