Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If C= had produced an Amiga incompatible wonder computer would you have bought it?  (Read 10927 times)

Description:

Offline Amiga_NutTopic starter

• Show all replies
What it says on the tin really, some of us old enough had a C64 before an Amiga and it was brand loyalty to Commodore not the compatibility of the machine that led us to Amiga. The two are totally incompatible and have nothing technically in common but at the same time spiritually are successors to each other. After all C64 compatibility didn't make the C128 anywhere near a viable purchase....they were clinging on to the old technology too much.

So my question is this.....it's 1992....Commodore launch a radical new machine for the 4th time in their history totally incompatible with Amiga BUT absolutely a new paradigm in price performance that put it on par with Amiga 1000 vs PC-AT & original Macintosh.

Would you have bought it if it meant you could play Doom on a £300 machine as well as a Pentium 75mhz PC costing £1500 in 1994 OR would you have not bought it because you can't run your Amiga games on it?

Me personally, no offence, I wouldn't give a crap. If it was as revolutionary as the A1000 I couldn't have cared less if it was Amiga compatible or not, and better that than the luke warm upgrade that was AGA in 4000/1200/CD32.

The A1200 is to the A500 what the C128 is to the C64.

See what I am getting at?

Offline Amiga_NutTopic starter

• Show all replies
I kept my C64 for years after I blagged an A1000 so made no difference to me. The point is half the reason AGA was luke warm was because it was a limited project with hands tied behind their backs forced to keep Amiga compatibility.

Point is if you had a super powerful machine it would have prevented you from going to 3DO/Jaguar/Sega/Nintendo etc. IBM was not the rival to the A1200/CD32 low end of the market no way. C64 wasn't rivalled by IBM PC in the CGA XT days either. OK A4000/030 yes but there simply wasn't a PC cheap enough in most of 93, we are talking A1200 vs games console for games playing mass market.

If you want to draw/write/program things keep your Amiga sure.