Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SAMs 440/460  (Read 9853 times)

Description:

Offline Dwyloc

• Show all replies
Re: SAMs 440/460
« on: January 25, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
Quote from: TheGoose;608974

Still, there appears to be some discrepancy in what Amiga users say they will pay and what they actually do.

I think its more that there is a number of loud mouthed non-amiga  users (people that would never purchase a new amiga), then there us real Amiga users who put our money were our mouths are and buy Amiga products that meet our needs.

The questions I asked myself before purchasing my sam440 Amiga and OS4.1 was would it be faster than my existing Amiga solution and did the price seem fare for what I would be getting and the amount of use I would get out of it.  I decided the answer was yes to both questions and made my purchase which I am still happy with today a few years later.

Is my sam440 as fast as my desktop PC I purchased at the same time?  No but its completely silent and has seen a massive amount of use playing back my music while I read, work on my PC and do other stuff as well as running OS4 and other Amiga applications.

Yes I could get a cheaper mp3 player or just use my PC, but my sam440 boots much quicker and uses less power and does not generate the same background noise as my desktop PC, so as an Amiga user its a solution that works for me :-)
Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1
Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
Amiga 1200 Eyetech mk4 Tower, Blizzard 1240 040/40 32MB Fast ram, IDEFix Express mk2, mediatorSX pci, Voodoo3 PCI, PCI network card, OS3.9 BB2.

Offline Dwyloc

• Show all replies
Re: SAMs 440/460
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »
Quote from: JJ;608981
I can very truthfully say I have and will  not pay that sort of money for a Sam board when for a fraction of the cost I can and have got a mac mini which is more powerful (not as expandable I admit) and run a better next gen AmigaOS in the form of MorphOS
An equally valid solution to running Amiga software.  I just don't like it when people say they are Amiga users but have no interest in supporting on going development by purchasing any of the products they ask to have developed.

If I did not have a sam440 already and had the money I would be thinking about buying a macmini and a morphos licenses instead.  

Not because the macmini is faster but because you can no longer purchase the mini-itx version of the sam440 and all I wanted was a small fast Amiga solution to play my music and run current Amiga software faster than my BlizzardPPC A1200 tower and in my opinion MorphOS and OS4 both meet my needs equally well.
Sam440ep 667mhz 512megs OS4.1
Minimig, 4MB RAM, ARM add-on board
Amiga 1200 Eyetech mk4 Tower, Blizzard 1240 040/40 32MB Fast ram, IDEFix Express mk2, mediatorSX pci, Voodoo3 PCI, PCI network card, OS3.9 BB2.