Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two New Mainboard with MPC7448 Soon?  (Read 4818 times)

Description:

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
Two New Mainboard with MPC7448 Soon?
« on: June 06, 2006, 05:21:16 PM »
Apple and Genesi do not have a monopoly to provide consumer-oriented PPC hardware.
Out of the Amiga sphere two new companies come forward with the intend to offer new desktop options based on Freescale's most powerful G4 chip ever.

The first company is ACK Software Controls from Canada, a four person operation that will develop a carrier board for their 1.7 GHz MPC7448 card which will be compatible with AmigaOne-XE and going to be demonstrated at a public event on June 10th, 2006.

Read the rest of the article at PPCnux.

Offline Matt_H

Re: Two New Mainboard with MPC7448 Soon?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »
Perhaps someone could explain why the UD Tech board's PCI slots are facing in opposite directions?

The specs are nice, but the board layout doesn't look ready for the consumer market - hopefully this will be addressed.

Offline djbase

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:50:25 PM »
This is an Evaluation Board which is aimed for Developers and not for Enduser.
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »
Perhaps someone could explain why the UD Tech board's PCI slots are facing in opposite directions?

They're not.

One is for 5v cards, and the other is for 3.3v cards. I'd assume the PCI-66 slot is the 3.3v one.

PCI cards either have a key in the front for 5v, a key in the back for 3.3v or both for a universal card.

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:40:15 PM »
...another 500euro board... yeah right!

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 09:43:42 PM »
Getting bored of being told about these new boards and not being able to use them! When will we be able to buy the bloody things?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline humppa

• Show only replies by humppa
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
What a weird board layout and form factor.

Now I can perfectly understand why Troika only showed us a small part of the board in their announcement!

:lol:

Offline Savan

• Show only replies by Savan
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 10:05:07 PM »
Getting bored of being told about these new boards and not being able to use them! When will we be able to buy the bloody things?

They like to dangle that stale carrot in front of the waiting. Also the board looks crappy, which no doubt if it does come out will include Amiga TAX (ie a ridiculous high price).

Screw the custom {bleep}e and put the OS on REAL available hardware.

Offline Tigger

• Show only replies by Tigger
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:13:10 PM »
Oh I dont think they'll be able to sell them at 500 Euros, the price will be dependent upon the processor installed, and how soon it comes to market, because G4's are dropping in price. But right now with a 1.7 Ghz G4 (what they are touting) that board is 4 figures US at least, and then we have the OS 4 tax tacked on.   Or you could get a 1.42 Ghz G4 Mac Mini (whole computer) for $600.  Its silly that after a year of no hardware availability and a shrinking installed base for the OS, they still have no real plans, and are hoping to use an expensive motherboard to move the OS forward.
    -Tig
Well you know I am scottish, so I like sheep alot.
     -Fleecy Moss, Gateway 2000 show

Offline humppa

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 10:44:15 PM »
Its silly that after a year of no hardware availability and a shrinking installed base for the OS, they still have no real plans, and are hoping to use an expensive motherboard to move the OS forward.

I'm not even sure if they are really hoping for this, or what has even been done so far.

They might have been looking for a mainboard picture with a TSI109 that is not easily retrievable just by browsing Google Images. They found the Chinese company and asked for specs/image of that board. Maybe they even loosely asked if they could license the design for production.
Enough to make a news release that perfectly compensates for the apparent failure of their own (Amy'05) design and that is well placed exactly one day after ACK announced their PV TL board.
 :roll:

Offline Nitro

• Show only replies by Nitro
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 11:26:56 PM »
I`m not trying to be mean or something but what is the point of this.  It wouldn`t be any different if I was to say that NITROTEC has a new mainboard for OS4 called the Unicorn, designed by s company in germany called bPlan.  To me it just seems that it`s a board by somebody else and their gonna put their sticker on it.
Pegasos-II G3/600MHz MorphOS2.4
Efika MorphOS 2.4
SAM440ep 600Mhz AmigaOS 4.1
AMIGA1200DBOX,BLIZZARDPPC40/175,64MB,Mediator1200SX,VOODOO3,SB128, SpiderUSB, 3.9 & OS4
AmigaCD32

Offline humppa

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 11:35:27 PM »
To me it just seems that it`s a board by somebody else and their gonna put their sticker on it.

Like Eyetech putting an AmigaOne sticker on a crappy Teron-board.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 11:37:34 PM »
Interesting board.  I think the lack of an AGP or PCI-E slot is a strange choice.  Do they even make PCI graphics cards any more?

And only 2 PCI slots. After you plug in your graphics card you've only got one slot left so they'd better hope everything on the motherboard functions as it should.

What form factor is that? I've never seen a case that would fit with that weird arrangement of ports.

What does that comment mean on PPCNUX about
there will be certain entities going out of their way to pull the rug from under Troikas feet

? Anyone know who they're talking about?

Offline humppa

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 11:45:56 PM »
? Anyone know who they're talking about?

Nobody. There are not many other bedroom projects that are as insane to license/produce a "high-end" board for this tiny market without making any money.

And even if there was one to pull the rug from under Troikas feet, I wouldn't mind. Enough with their carrot-dangling and fluffy news releases.

Offline Savan

• Show only replies by Savan
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 12:05:39 AM »
Oh I dont think they'll be able to sell them at 500 Euros

Easily. You can put any price on crap hardware what runs OS4 and you know damn well waiting amiga die hards will buy them (even if they dont come with a warranty/guarantee or any other support from the company where purchased from)

Amigans wanted it this way, so sit back and let them enjoy it :lol: