Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In your opinion which was the best and the worst thing that Commodore did to the Amiga?  (Read 4473 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show all replies
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com

Phantom206 wrote:
The best: Superb hardware of Amiga.
The worst: Commodore didn't gave licenses to third group companies to produce Amigas (Amiga Compatibles)

Good question.

Firstly, in reference to your answer(s), the superb Amiga hardware had nothing to do with Commodore - it was an outgrowth of the Lorraine/Hi-TORO/Amiga hardware.  C= had the devils' luck in that they had people like Haynie et.al. who could take said stuff and improve on it.  C= corporate's mistakes are legendary, and their shorting the engineering people is the stuff of corporate horror stories.

WRT Amiga "clones", this would have killed the Amiga faster.  The Amiga was, after 1987, a niche computer in a shrinking niche.  Look at the divisiveness (some call it "competitiveness", I call it stupidity) just over the A1 and the Pegasus.  Sheesh!

Now, as to what I think Commodore did, best and worst, for the Amiga?

Best:

When they marketed, believe it or not, they did it well.  Look at the Amiga's premier.  WOW.  I recall reading multi-page ads in U.S. magazines (Time, Newsweek etc.) talking about what the Amiga could do, with people from the Mayo clinic talking about it's superior displays and how it helped them in medical research, with BB King talking about the Amiga as an invaluable music tool...

However...

They never marketed enough.  I saw those ads in like two or three magazines, ever.  Buying ad space in AmigaWorld, Antic's Amiga, .info and so on was USELESS.  It's like calling me up and asking me if I want to buy a 1997 Honda Civic.  I ALREADY HAVE ONE!

Those ads should've been in Computer Shopper, newspapers, oh the list goes on.

Those two things.  Marketing.
Back away from the EU-SSR!