Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS using Amiga code?  (Read 6330 times)

Description:

Offline jdiffend

• Show only replies by jdiffend
Re: I asked the AROS people what kind of OS it is...
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 20, 2002, 06:44:05 AM »
The AmigaOS is largely composed of assembly language in the ROM and C.  Since the assembly language only runs on the 680x0 series it's pretty hard to argue that AROS stole code from it since it was developed on and runs on other processors.

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2002, 07:14:53 AM »
It's strange, but I seem to subconsciously hold out more hope for the long-term success of AROS than the "others" aforementioned.
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline newbee

• Show only replies by newbee
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2002, 09:10:56 AM »
@DethKnight

It's strange, but I seem to subconsciously hold out more hope for the long-term success of AROS than the "others" aforementioned.

I agree, AROS is a work for the community, by the community so has a more  " Amiga" Heart.

I would not be surprised if the long awaited Amiga OS 5 is not AROS ported to the AmigaDE platform.....

Regards
Darren
I\\\'ve never used an Amiga

Convince me....

I am your future :-)

*** News Flash ***
I am now a happy user of UAE, you can now call me \\"convert\\"

Offline ThemambomanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Themamboman
Re: AROS using Amiga code?
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2002, 01:07:59 AM »
Okay, what the heck is going on here?  I asked a simple question and I get responses like this:

DonnyEMU wrote:
Thermamborman: are you sure you are not spreading dis-information purposefully to attempt to side track this project that they are working on and their success? Or cast aspursions on the product's viability cause you know it actually works better and didn't ever come from any of your named sources for the "other" product you mention..

and another:

falemagn wrote:
Oh, well, we're getting the first trolls: this must mean we're becoming famous :)

Fabio Alemagna

I personally like AROS and hope it succeeds.  I was confused on the subject, since I was under the impression that it was a re-implementation from scratch, mimicking the API and behavior.

The only reason I asked was because I've seen at least 2 or 3 references by people on the net that indicated that AROS actually used some Amiga OS source code.  

For example, this is from the readme of V39.3 reqtools.library from aminet:

==========
This is a back port of the AROS reqtools.library -
which itself is based on the original Amiga ReqTools
sources - to AmigaOS.
==========

Also, I saw an article on OSNews.com about Morphos, and the guy mentioned that it had some Amiga OS code.   I have admittedly been out of the Amiga scene for a while and only occasionally drop in to check what is going on. I remember that there was a move a few years ago to get whoever owned Amiga OS at the time to release the source.

That's it.  I had no proof, I only thought that maybe Amiga Inc had opened up some source to other developers based on nothing but a few limited sentences here and there.

I only came here to ask the question.  However, I was immediately attacked as a troll, a rumor-monger and someone interested in undermining the AROS effort.

What has made everyone so paranoid?  To Quote the sarge in the Bill Murray movie Stripes: "Lighten up, Francis..."

8-)

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2002, 01:24:12 AM »
Okay, what the heck is going on here? I asked a simple question and I get responses like this:

Well, if yours was a genuine question, then I apologize, but you must understand that such questions really come as a surprise: certain facts should be clear by now.

For example, this is from the readme of V39.3 reqtools.library from aminet:

==========
sources - to AmigaOS.
==========

Well, ReqTools has never been part of AmigaOS, it's always been a free library for everyone to use. I'm not sure whether it was open source originally, though.

Also, I saw an article on OSNews.com about Morphos, and the guy mentioned that it had some Amiga OS code.

I hope you misunderstood, because otherwise that guy must be spanked. What is true is that both MOS and AmigaOS use code FROM AROS.

Offline blubbe

• Show only replies by blubbe
    • http://somewhere.in-hell.com
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2002, 01:25:04 AM »

==========
sources - to AmigaOS.
==========

ReqTools isnt part of AmigaOS. There.
i      i     i    i   i  i iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii i  i   i    i     i     i      i

Offline ThemambomanTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Themamboman
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2002, 02:25:39 AM »

blubbe wrote:

==========
sources - to AmigaOS.
==========

ReqTools isnt part of AmigaOS. There.

Well now I know.   For some reason, I thought it was an OS library.

I do hope AROS succeeds.  What I've seen so far has been very impressive.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2002, 03:54:20 AM »
In fact, decompilation is not illegal. But in any event there are no decompilers available for the Amiga anyway, AFAIK. Does anyone know of any Amiga decompilers?

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2002, 03:57:26 AM »
do you have to decompile on the amiga?...

the act of alot of things is not illegal it's the 'selling' or 'use' of it that is...

the AmigaOS eula isnt very spacific...

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2002, 04:58:39 AM »
Oh let's not talk EULA okay?

You must be a PC person, I don't remember any Commodore products besides AmigaVision having a real EULA (End-User-License-Agreement) that gave you only specific rights. I think saying Amiga Inc has control there is beyond laughability.

I was a developer recognized by CATS (Commodore-Amiga technical support) which published most of the documentation on the OS anyway, and let's see Escom, Amiga Technologies GmBH, Gateway, let's spin the wheel vanna I could name 3 or more sources off the web right now.

You could easily get documentation from sources today other than Amiga Inc. They have really not done that much coding at the main level of the operating system themselves  to even warrant giving them any credit at all). Remember the OS upgrades were done out of house and Commodore and Escom are OUT OF (AMIGA) BUSINESS... All of my developer documents and compilers even those from SAS mention nothing about Amiga Inc.

I could release a product for the Commodore-Amiga computer and be well in my rights not to mention Amiga Inc, even in passing and not owe Amiga Inc.  a dime and not take ANY INFORMATION from them. I'd also probably still be very compatible with the products they hold.  

I could also come out with a clone product closely resembling but not being the same code and it's a new product and not have stolen any of their intellectual property.

They don't get all of the cookies just because they own the rights now, nor are they the holy grail of informations sources. I think developers around from the Commodore-Amiga days would agree with me there.  I look at the Amiga developer support network and I wonder, where is all the documentation, if Amiga isn't designing hardware, they could at least be bringing new documentation to life.

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2002, 04:44:51 PM »
>do you have to decompile on the amiga?...

Why not, that is like asking "do you have to program on the amiga", "do you have to play games on the amiga", etc.

I get the impression that you have the impression that I was going to decompile AmigaOS itself, or in some way harm the Amiga. As most of AmigaOS is written in assembly language you would need a disassembler, not a decompiler.

I was more interested in decompiling some of the older Aminet programs which were written in C but to which the source is not available.