Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One small step for Natami. One large step for Amigaland!  (Read 17443 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: One small step for Natami. One large step for Amigaland!
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 01:05:02 AM »
Quote from: Franko;634229
When you consider the average price on eBay for an 060 board (£280 & upwards) then try finding a SubWay USB board (£70 and upwards) and all the other bits n bobs you'd need to match the NatAmi then to me 800 Euros is a reasonable price and I sure as hell want one of these little beauties... :)

800 was minus an '060 card though according to the figure SamuraiCrow gave. Bare in mind though that SamuraiCrow and Forcie arent really involved in the project minus some moral support so it may be better to wait until people other than the "fan club" (for lack of a better phrase, not intended to be derogatory) speak up.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 01:20:47 AM »
This Easter we got a new piece of computing device
to replace our old and outdated Windows 7 and Intel-CPU IT-infrastructure.

I like that comment... Natami is going to be great... as in I want one.. I really do.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 01:22:59 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;634264
800 was minus an '060 card though according to the figure SamuraiCrow gave. Bare in mind though that SamuraiCrow and Forcie arent really involved in the project minus some moral support so it may be better to wait until people other than the "fan club" (for lack of a better phrase, not intended to be derogatory) speak up.

Quite incorrect. We are both very much involved in the project and full team members. My current tasks involve writing testcases in assembly for compatibility testing purposes. Sam is doing misc coding tasks.
I thought I had made this very clear after answering several questions officially on behalf of the team a lot of times on Amiga.org.

It is quite misleading talking about end pricing now when we do not know how big batches we are going to make and the final price of all components. This can affect prices greatly. A better answer could be given after some kind of market research. You will get informed when it is possible to order a board.

The 060 card is optional and not needed for everyone. By the time we go for a bigger production run, the N68050 core will most likely be mature enough for acting as a main CPU without any problems.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:37:40 AM by Forcie »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 01:42:43 AM »
*self moderated*
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:30:32 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 01:59:10 AM »
@fishy_fiz

You are of course free to believe what you want. I feel no need to repeat myself.
I am only in this because I want a better Natami system for myself, not because I need to prove myself to random people on forums. Nor am I making lists of who are entitled to saying "we" or not. We are all team members, although noone is working full-time on the project except Thomas.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »
Quote from: Franko;634229
When you consider the average price on eBay for an 060 board (£280 & upwards) then try finding a SubWay USB board (£70 and upwards) and all the other bits n bobs you'd need to match the NatAmi then to me 800 Euros is a reasonable price and I sure as hell want one of these little beauties... :)

Yeah - lessee, 400 I spent on my 4000, then add 160 ish for a deneb.... 120+ for an Xsurf, or 300+ for a mediator board + 60 for USB card + 50 for NIC, it gets up there quick...

Quote from: nicholas;634235
It's moments like this that make Pound Sterling worth all the other crap we Brits suffer almost tolerable. :)

:madashell:  Or you could be stuck in the US where they think its great fun to tank the dollar.  :(

Offline broken

• Show only replies by broken
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 03:00:05 AM »
Quote from: Forcie;634268

It is quite misleading talking about end pricing now when we do not know how big batches we are going to make and the final price of all components. This can affect prices greatly. A better answer could be given after some kind of market research. You will get informed when it is possible to order a board.

Hmm. I am not sure how financing of the dev work done on the Natami is handled, or if you guys have investors or what not or even how the initial run of boards will be paid for (early preorder?).

However, if you guys wanted to get the price down to more attainable levels, would someone willing to invest a decent amount of capital help you guys produce more boards thereby lowering the cost of materials and helping to drive down the cost for the end user? Or is there other issues keeping the cost rather high?

If I was to invest, say 1 million dollars, would that help the project along and enable the team to produce more boards at a far lower cost to consumers? I don't currently have that (though might be able to get it) but just curious if money is an issue for the dev team. I understand if thats something you can't speak about or simply don't know. Just curious about what it would take to get it down to well under $500. Or better yet $200 to $300.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 03:37:13 AM »
Quote from: broken;634283
If I was to invest, say 1 million dollars, would that help the project along and enable the team to produce more boards at a far lower cost to consumers? I don't currently have that (though might be able to get it) but just curious if money is an issue for the dev team. I understand if thats something you can't speak about or simply don't know. Just curious about what it would take to get it down to well under $500. Or better yet $200 to $300.

Getting the price down is one thing, finding a market for the product is something else.  There's no point in funding a production run so huge that you can only sell 25% of the boards, because you're then going to have to quadruple the price of each board you sell in order to make up for your huge, unsold inventory stockpile.

You may as well accept the fact that this beastie is going to cost around $800 in sellable quantities.

The good news is that you do have a choice.  If you haven't got $800 then you can get a FPGA Arcade instead just like people who bought an A500 when they really wanted an A2000.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:55 AM »
Quote from: outlawal2;634154
Sorry Franko...  I know you and I are often on different sides of a particular discussion and I am afraid this hasn't changed with this subject either...  

My vote for Queen of Amigaland has to go to CAMMY...    (Although the runnerup Princess would definitely be Annika!)

:O)
you sexist pig why cant male be a qween hehe um actually  no.....
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2011, 03:58:14 AM »
Quote from: broken;634283
Hmm. I am not sure how financing of the dev work done on the Natami is handled, or if you guys have investors or what not or even how the initial run of boards will be paid for (early preorder?).

However, if you guys wanted to get the price down to more attainable levels, would someone willing to invest a decent amount of capital help you guys produce more boards thereby lowering the cost of materials and helping to drive down the cost for the end user? Or is there other issues keeping the cost rather high?

hell they marry you for that money seriosly u need make like 10 thousand to make diffrence
whouldint you ?? then go to tawain on plane find the company to make them
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2011, 04:28:40 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;634288
Getting the price down is one thing, finding a market for the product is something else.  There's no point in funding a production run so huge that you can only sell 25% of the boards, because you're then going to have to quadruple the price of each board you sell in order to make up for your huge, unsold inventory stockpile.

Getting the price down increases the market. There is even a potential to make a little return on an investment in Natami boards. Let's assume the cost is $800 for low production but if 100 investors invested $10000 the production cost would become $500 (theoretical). Now the Natami boards could be sold for $550 to allow a little return on investment and to compensate for the risk. That's a nice little 10% return for the investor and a 30%+ savings for those buying the Natami boards. Of course the exact math would have to be calculated. Investors would have to be patient waiting for the boards to sell or getting their share of boards sent to them or others of their choosing. I might send one to Dave Haynie if my share didn't sell for example ;). Several smaller investments are more likely than finding a large investment but I think broken's got the right idea.

The good for us U.S. investors is that we would get our money out of dollars. The U.S. dollar has dropped in value 10% against a basket of currencies already this year not that our president seems to have noticed. He blames big oil and speculators for the increase in gas prices when the biggest problems are risk premium from Mid East violence and the rapidly declining dollar. Oh bummer, if he had a clue about economics, maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. I'm already big in commodities but I'm always looking for ways to invest away from the dollar. Not that I would go in too big but my U.S. dollars sitting around sure look like they're headed to worthless.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 04:45:51 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;634288
The good news is that you do have a choice.  If you haven't got $800 then you can get a FPGA Arcade instead just like people who bought an A500 when they really wanted an A2000.

I kick myself for not waiting and saving till I could afford an A2000 instead of the A500 in 1990. I realized that when I got a GVPHD+8 addon sidecar 7 months later. For the price of both I could have gotten an A2000. Then the AOS 3 machines come out. No way could I save up for an A4000 in any reasonable amount of time, well over a year or years. So, I get an A1200 then World of Amiga in NYC. Commodore introduces the A4000 030 and at a price I could have afforded if I hand bought the A1200.  So, now I'm much more willing to save up for what I want no matter the time it takes.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 05:01:38 AM »
franko you are such a kiss ass.. wow..

@ Natami team.. sounds good lets have some screenshots please, or better yet a video.

Man I wish this thing had an rgb port for genlocking :(
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 05:03:23 AM »
1200 is totally worth it.

Where else will you get a chance like this in our lifetimes?

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 05:26:30 AM »
Quote from: Argo;634295
I kick myself for not waiting and saving till I could afford an A2000 instead of the A500 in 1990. I realized that when I got a GVPHD+8 addon sidecar 7 months later. For the price of both I could have gotten an A2000. Then the AOS 3 machines come out. No way could I save up for an A4000 in any reasonable amount of time, well over a year or years. So, I get an A1200 then World of Amiga in NYC. Commodore introduces the A4000 030 and at a price I could have afforded if I hand bought the A1200.  So, now I'm much more willing to save up for what I want no matter the time it takes.

I was lucky.  I'd completed my training in the Army and I was sent on my first posting with a load of cash (there's nothing to spend your pay on when you're marching around, climbing walls and cleaning toilets with a toothbrush).  My treat was to buy myself an A2000 and I never looked back.  :D
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Louis DiasTopic starter

« Reply #44 from previous page: April 29, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
[img]http://www.natami.net/gvb/natami2_2.jpg[img]

Day2
http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php?b=1¬e=37341