Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMIGA 3000 DESKTOP SERIOUS PROBLEM!  (Read 1337 times)

Description:

Offline CitroenianTopic starter

• Show only replies by Citroenian
Re: AMIGA 3000 DESKTOP SERIOUS PROBLEM!
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 27, 2005, 11:20:41 PM »
Yes guys, i changed the position, the orientation... and the bad is that the scratch is very small but it looks like cutting an 'electronic line' just in front of the socket. I don't know, but i think i did damage. Cass i am from Athens, sou stelnw email na me valeis se epafi sto messenger na milisoume: nmylon@hotmail.com

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 01:03:52 AM »
aahhh this reminds me of my disasterous kickrom upgrading attempt last year. It was a fine april evening, and I came home very anxiously to replace my 3.0 roms with the 3.1 I brought from home. I didn't do this before, but somehow I thought it should be an easy thing to do (I have a lot of experience with pc hardware). I just took off the old roms, and put in the new ones, but while I was putting them, I thought oh I may have placed other way around, but surely it shouldn't be a problem, roms shouldn't burn with such a miss. When I turned on, the roms heated, especially one of them heated more so I thought I put that one other way around, so I flipped it. when I turned on, the same rom heated again, then I flipped them both. Then the same one heated again, so I thought I should switch their places, and did so. They heated again ... Then while I was thinking what to do next, (by the way, I was suffering from jetlag, after a 12 hour flight) I saw one of the 3.1 roms inside the box I brought them. Then it occurred to me that while I was leaving home, I put a spare 1.3 a500 rom inside the box 'just in case' (just in case I couldn't toast the roms by messing up the oreintation :-D ). So yeah I was trying with an a500 rom all the time. The 3.1 rom was ofcourse toasted, but the amiga was allright. Just the internal expansion port is fried, but I think it was fried before I did the kick rom attempt. This a1200 was a friend of mine's, who kept it in a cellar without the expansion port cover for years. Expansion port was pretty bad in shape when I got this amiga.

To cut it short, don't underestimate kickrom switching, don't come near to your amiga when you're drunk or jetlagged, don't put kickrom chips in the same container by any means. And don't think you're only one doing stupid things, world is full of stupid people, unfortunately (or fortunately ?).
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 02:32:50 AM »
The cut trace should be relatively simple to fix... Follow the trace to the next junction on both ends, solder a thin jumper wire between these points. Problem solved.

As stated many times before, incorrect orientation of the ROMs is instant death. New ones will be required.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -