Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recoverable Alert error 0100 000C on A1200 boot  (Read 2792 times)

Description:

Offline MarkAshleyTopic starter

• Show only replies by MarkAshley
Recoverable Alert error 0100 000C on A1200 boot
« on: October 15, 2005, 07:48:03 PM »
I'm building an A1200 which currently consists of the following:

A1200 with KS3.1 & OS3.9
Blizzard 040/40/32
8.4gb hard disk and CD ROM connected to internal IDE bus

It's been working great, and I've been looking forward to towering it and adding a Mediator and Voodoo card. I cold booted today and after the initial reboot (setpatch?) I got a yellow flashing recoverable alert, error 0100 000C, task 78028898. I pressed the LMB and the same error just kept coming back. All the while my hard disk light was constantly on, though this always happens until a few seconds after the setpatch reboot and the OS starts booting.

I powered off and back on, and the same error came back. The only way I could get it to boot was to right click and boot with no startup-sequence and execute the startup-sequence. It then rebooted after setpatch and then started up normally. After the next cold boot, the same thing happened again.

Any ideas what this could mean?

Thanks
Mark
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000
All stuffed in to a D-BOX

Re: Recoverable Alert error 0100 000C on A1200 boot
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »
UPDATE

I just cold booted and it did it again. I tried the no startup-sequence trick and it didn't work (same error). I then cold booted again and booted from a 3.9 Emergency Disk, and it booted perfectly. So it must be something screwed up in my 3.9 install? I'm going to try reinstalling the operating system tomorrow and see what happens.

Mods - can this be moved to software issues please as it would appear not to be a hardware problem. Thanks.
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 09:33:25 PM »
Sounds like your boot partition crosses the 4GB border. Accessing the area above 4GB is only possible after SetPatch has been run once. So your boot partition has to be entirely inside the first 4GB of the drive. After SetPatch has been run (in your case from the emergency disk) the rest of the HDD is accessible and even bigger partitions work fine.

Edit: You can check your setup with Check4GB from Aminet. Boot without startup-sequence after power-on and run it to check your boot partition.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 11:01:19 PM »

MarkAshley wrote:
I cold booted today and after the initial reboot (setpatch?) I got a yellow flashing recoverable alert, error 0100 000C

Any ideas what this could mean?

According to the NDK, that error is caused by a corrupted memory list, which was detected by exec's checks when it starts up after a reboot.
Just have to figure out what's trashing the list :roll:

Have you got any patches starting up from the startup-sequence ?
Maybe the AmigaOS ROMUpdate file in Devs: is corrupted? (If you change the setpatch line to 'SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES' does the error go away?)
Is it a real KickStart 3.1, or are you softkicking it?
On schedule, and suing

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 09:51:04 AM »
@Thomas
No I don't think that's it, my boot partition is only 1.2gb. The rest of the drive is a single partition of about 6.5gb. Could that cause a problem? Even with 3.9?

@Doobrey
No patches, it's a brand new install of 3.9. And yes, it's a real 3.1 ROM. I booted with no startup-sequence and typed in "setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES=ALL" and it rebooted and started up fine. So I copied the AmigaOS ROMUpdate file from my OS3.9 install disc, powered off and cold booted. Well whaddya know it worked  :-D

-- EDIT
Well this is weird. After I copied the ROMUpdate from the CD over the copy in DEVS: on the hard drive, it booted up fine. I then cold booted and the error came back  :cry:

I then booted from the hard drive with no startup sequence and copied AmigaOS ROMUpdate back to DEVS: and also to another file called DEVS:romupd. I then added the following line to the startup-sequence, just before setpatch:

copy devs:romupd "devs:AmigaOS ROMUpdate"

It now cold boots without a hitch every time. So it would appear that something during boot is damaging the ROMUpdate file. I can live with this now as I have found a workaround, but I'm a bit worried about what could be happening.
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 12:46:27 PM »
Another update (sorry)

I just cold booted and got an error in Setpatch. I can't remember what it said, but it was a requester asking me to suspend or reboot. I chose reboot, and it rebooted then gave me the recoverable alert again.

I then cold booted again and it started up fine. However, when I tried to start a WHDLoad game I once again got the recoverable alert!!!  :-x  I was able to LBM about 20 times and after that the game loaded. Just before it loaded it went back to Workbench and I noticed my fast ram had increased to over 500mb - nice, but sadly incorrect!

I cold booted again and it started ok, and I was able to play games with no errors. I think I need to reinstall 3.9...
A1200
Blizzard 040/33/128MB
Mediator PCI
Voodoo 3000

Offline alienkidmj12

• Show only replies by alienkidmj12
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »
anyone found solution to this yet, im also running 3.9

Offline paul1981

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »
You have the exact same setup and issue?

guest11527

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
Quote from: MarkAshley;209386
It's been working great, and I've been looking forward to towering it and adding a Mediator and Voodoo card. I cold booted today and after the initial reboot (setpatch?) I got a yellow flashing recoverable alert, error 0100 000C, task 78028898. I pressed the LMB and the same error just kept coming back.

The yalert means "memory list corrupt". IOWs, exec tried to allocate memory, but found that the internal housekeeping of one of the memory lists is not consistent.

This can have several sources:

a) some program freaked out and overwrote the memory structure
b) the memory itself is insane, i.e. some bit flipped randomly,
c) something was added to the memory list which is, actually, not really memory but something else.

Probably the mediator included parts of the graphics card as "memory", even though it isn't?

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 04:30:51 AM »
Maybe remove memory, clean contacts and reseat.