Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Power 7 CPU - 8 cores  (Read 10006 times)

Description:

ChuckT

Re: Power 7 CPU - 8 cores
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;706188
All of you ought to check out the specs for the WiiU's CPU.

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-premiere-wii-u-specs/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-30-how-powerful-is-the-wii-u-really

I think you'll be surprised.

This technology IS getting down to consumer products. The WiiU's processor is supposed to be slower the the XBOX360's or the PS3's, but its out of order (where as they are less powerful in order processors).

I'm disappointed to hear they will only have two tablets being able to run concurrently because of bandwidth issues:

"According to Nash, bandwidth issues associated with having four concurrent streams coming from one Wii U machine to four GamePad screens stamped out the idea of support for four GamePad controllers."

That means two player games instead of four and I'm wondering if that will affect online interaction as well.

"But at the moment it's purely limited to processing and signal transmission bandwidth and a combination thereof."

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »
Quote from: Vanilla;706256
However it is done both x86 and PPC face the same limitations: They are old CPU designs with modern ideas retro fitted onto them, even PC I think. x86[64] is just a hacked up 16-bit CPU from the 80's and PPC has processor limitations of the 90's..

If computers really want to make use of multicore they will need to proper multi core CPUs. x86 and even PPC is useless at this point. Expecially x86 which has as many CPU opcode extensions as it does more cores in every redesign. Computers need a CPU that can run code on multicore where the code can run so that it's speed is multiplied.

Which is why we need ARM! HeHe :python:
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;706272
Which is why we need ARM!
(My sarcasm detector isn't working very well - that was tongue-in-cheek, right?)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 06:42:27 PM »
We have a Power7 IBM 720 where I work (along with a bunch of older Power6 and Power5 servers).  I tend to think that it should be a pretty hefty piece of computing hardware, but it's slow!  I personally think it's because the company I work for are retards and aren't using it correctly anyhow.  

But yes, I think a Power7 based desktop would be pretty awesome.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;706276
(My sarcasm detector isn't working very well - that was tongue-in-cheek, right?)

Yeah, we're getting a lot of ARM promotion here lately and its not like the CPU is anything new.

Quote from: slaapliedje;706280
We have a Power7 IBM 720 where I work (along with a bunch of older Power6 and Power5 servers). I tend to think that it should be a pretty hefty piece of computing hardware, but it's slow! I personally think it's because the company I work for are retards and aren't using it correctly anyhow.

I know the feeling. I've dealt with a lot of people who couldn't figure out how to properly use Radisys OS-9 based systems.

Your employers probably aren't implement optimal coding solutions.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
Aside from the rambling about what the future of CPU design is the actual discussion about PPC & x86/64 is quite interesting.

I'm not sure what CPU ISA the PS4 or Xbox Next are going to use because I've not been working on them this time (last 10 months). The rumours around them are going all over the place so until there's something official announced or I get to work on one :) I'm not willing to bet. It's been everything from 16-core PPC to 4-core 8-thread x86/64 and AMD/Ati to nVidia GPUs so who knows what will actually be in the Xbox 720/Next/Durango.

You can get some stunning, genuinely stunning performance out of either ISA and games consoles have the advantage of not running a full multitasking OS etc. There's certainly mileage left in PPC and x86/64 for the consoles and the desktop.
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 07:08:29 PM »
Yeah, its strange.
We know what the Xbox720's GPU will be based on, but no one's certain about the CPU.
We have a really good idea of what the WiiU will be like.
And my guess is that the PS4 will follow a much more evolutionary path then previous Sony consoles (remaining Cell based).

Offline NorthWay

• Show only replies by NorthWay
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 07:12:30 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;706155
Power 7 chips have the TDP of a nuclear reactor(they only run, AFAIR, with watter cooling)

No, they run just fine with air. We have plenty of them at work. IBM knows how to move air...

There is a special cabinet that can be connected to water for claimed higher efficiency in the cooling.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
Quote from: NorthWay;706289
IBM knows how to move air...

Now my sarcasm detector is failing.
THAT definately was sacasm, wasn't it?

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;706288
Yeah, its strange.
We know what the Xbox720's GPU will be based on, but no one's certain about the CPU.
We have a really good idea of what the WiiU will be like.
And my guess is that the PS4 will follow a much more evolutionary path then previous Sony consoles (remaining Cell based).

Dunno, seen specs with PPC + Ati and seen Intel + nVidia so not sure what's really in the Xbox720.
However, fairly certain that the PS4 won't have Cell :) I head they were going with an AMD CPU!

As I said, I think we can safely say that none of us have a clue until they're released, there's just too many conflicting rumours.
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
Quote from: AJCopland;706294
Dunno, seen specs with PPC + Ati and seen Intel + nVidia so not sure what's really in the Xbox720.
However, fairly certain that the PS4 won't have Cell :) I head they were going with an AMD CPU!

As I said, I think we can safely say that none of us have a clue until they're released, there's just too many conflicting rumours.

We won't know about Sony's product till they're ready to tell us, but since IBM has some connection with AMD/ATI that wouldn't be completely surprising.
Imagine, an AMD based device that's not built by Gloal Foundries.

As to Microsoft, I'm almost certain about the ATI GPU.
And, again, as Microsoft also uses IBMs foundries who knows what CPU will pop up.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;706282
Yeah, we're getting a lot of ARM promotion here lately and its not like the CPU is anything new.
Indeed; everybody wants to ride the hot new ARM wave that's surely going to last forever, and nobody seems to remember when the new wave was PPC... ;)
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
"DEC MicroPDP-11/23+ (15MHz, 32MB HD, 256KB RAM)"

Love that one, John.
I was interested in that CPU family before there were pre-built computers.

16bit before the 8bit IBM PC was introduced.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
Yeah, I've been admiring the architecture from afar for years now. I'd love to have one of the full-fledged minicomputer models, but I've got neither the cash nor the space. This was just a very lucky find at the recycle center :)

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 09:03:27 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;706297
"DEC MicroPDP-11/23+ (15MHz, 32MB HD, 256KB RAM)"

Love that one, John.
I was interested in that CPU family before there were pre-built computers.

16bit before the 8bit IBM PC was introduced.

The 68k is old and it was heavily influenced by the PDP-11/VAX-11 which would be ancient and quite an innovative design back then. I think it would be difficult to make fast on modern hardware but I think the 68k could be modernized and run well enough. A modern 68k would be the easiest to use and have the best code density of any "modernized" CPU (x86, ARM and PPC are old designs too). I think it could compete with ARM for small electrical devices. What do you think of this modernized 68k ISA:

OpenOffice Writer
http://www.heywheel.com/matthey/Amiga/68kF_PRM.odt

PDF
http://www.heywheel.com/matthey/Amiga/68kF_PRM.pdf

html
http://www.heywheel.com/matthey/Amiga/68kF_PRM.html

I know there is no multiprocessing or caching instructions at this point but they are more dependent on the implementation. What do you like and dislike? Any love for the 68k besides me?

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 02, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;706238
Yet again Vox shows the true depths of his ignorance.

What ignorance? That X1000 has sold its small offerings in despite of having the price in range of fake Amiga mini?
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja