Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So PowerPC is dead you say?  (Read 7033 times)

Description:

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
Re: So PowerPC is dead you say?
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
Quote from: Manu;689268
It's just a little bit too big for my living room, I'll pass on this new PPC technology and happily continue use my Intel Core2Duo

http://www.characterblog.com/assets/58914-ibm-watson.jpg

I think that one transforms into a mech.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;689223
So how comes IBM's AI machine called Watson which outsmarted the two best champions on Jeopardy TV show uses Power7 not x86 architecture?

youtube video

If only an IBM engineer was a nostalgic Amigan with a dream to out do Wintel at least technically.....

*sigh*
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;689267
It's the software that is impressive anyway. It wouldn't matter what hardware they run it on.

There is enough cores in that machine to satisfy all the current demand from the amiga community. If PowerPC were alive then they'd have spent less money and shipped motherboards to us all for free.

PowerPC is even dead in the console market. The next generation is abandoning it, except for Nintendo who are just taking the Wii and doubling the cpu cores.

This goes along the order of:
1) True,
2) True and hilarious,
3) False: There's a rumour that PS4 is an AMD CPU but it's not confirmed - the XboxNext/720/wtfever is probably (almost certinaly) PPC - Wii-U is a multicore PPC but it's not based on the older GameCube/Wii cpu.

PPC these days is disappointing in it's lack of publicly consumer facing usage. There's low-end upto 400MHz integrated PPC chips that get embedded in car GPS displays, then there's an enormous gap until you get to the Power7 stuff.

Actually back to games consoles, the real loser this coming generation appears to be nVidia! They pissed off MS back on the original Xbox with licensing costs and were the primary reason it was put to bed early. They're apparently out of the PS4. They were rumoured to be in the Nintendo 3DS but they aren't, and they lost out to AMD/Ati for the Wii-U.

In the coming console generation, they make PPC seem positively bouncing with life :D
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
PowerPC in classic Amiga looks dead.
I think our Classic future (now there's a confused concept!) lies in FPGA based recreations like fpgaarcade and 68k cores like the tg68 etc.

Andy

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
Hey, at least it's power-efficient! :)
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline spirantho

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Just for information: the PowerPC is not at all dead, it's not even close to dead, it's still being actively pushed forward by some big companies, and is evolving all the time.

Just because PowerPC isn't used in desktops any more (apart from ours) doesn't mean it's dead - nor does that fact that it's slower than x86 mean it's dead. PowerPC isn't competing with x86 any more, it's competing with ARM. That's why our Sams and things are so power efficient, they're embedded CPUs, not designed to compete with x86 desktops (what would be the point? It'd be corporate suicide).
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;689306
Just because PowerPC isn't used in desktops any more

Equals to **DEAD** for all purposes interesting to us, which is what people mean when they say that PPC is dead. Nobody is denying that PPC is being used plenty in servers, routers, printers, automotive, etc. But who cares?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;689306
Just for information: the PowerPC is not at all dead, it's not even close to dead, it's still being actively pushed forward by some big companies, and is evolving all the time.

Just because PowerPC isn't used in desktops any more (apart from ours) doesn't mean it's dead - nor does that fact that it's slower than x86 mean it's dead. PowerPC isn't competing with x86 any more, it's competing with ARM. That's why our Sams and things are so power efficient, they're embedded CPUs, not designed to compete with x86 desktops (what would be the point? It'd be corporate suicide).
Easy way to check if a CPU architecture is dead; Just ask yourself if you would choose it when starting a new project :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
It's the software that is impressive anyway. It wouldn't matter what hardware they run it on.

There is enough cores in that machine to satisfy all the current demand from the amiga community. If PowerPC were alive then they'd have spent less money and shipped motherboards to us all for free.

PowerPC is even dead in the console market. The next generation is abandoning it, except for Nintendo who are just taking the Wii and doubling the cpu cores.

That last part is completely unprovable.
No one really know what the next XBOX will be based on (other then the GPU).
The PS4? Also relatively unknown, but it is quite likely to continue as an evolution of the current hardware.
And the Wii U's processor isn't really related to the Wii's processor and is several times more powerful (I'd love to have that processor in a PC).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;689310
Easy way to check if a CPU architecture is dead; Just ask yourself if you would choose it when starting a new project :)

Or easier still, just put a heart monitor on one and see what you get.  100% nothing.
"I kicked it, it was dead"

Offline spirantho

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;689307
Equals to **DEAD** for all purposes interesting to us, which is what people mean when they say that PPC is dead. Nobody is denying that PPC is being used plenty in servers, routers, printers, automotive, etc. But who cares?

Not at all - all the PowerPC processors used by machines since the PowerMac are actually using embedded processors.

So PowerPC is very much alive for all purposes interesting to people who don't just want to use old PowerMacs.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 03:43:51 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;689325
Not at all - all the PowerPC processors used by machines since the PowerMac are actually using embedded processors.

So PowerPC is very much alive for all purposes interesting to people who don't just want to use old PowerMacs.

:crazy:

Again, *nobody* has been building viable PPC based desktop motherboards since Apple left the scene. They were the last, and those Apple machines represents how far PPC ever went on the desktop. Nobody will follow, since there simply is no point. PPC can't do anything for the desktop that X86 (and soon ARM) can't do better (and by "better", I actually mean *every single point of comparison*)...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »
How do you figure? The Wii U is still using PowerPC, and if it sells like the Wii did you can hardly call it dead, the only rumor I've seen for the XBox 720/"Durango" posits a 16-core PowerPC system, and evidently even the Playstation 4 isn't abandoning it entirely (though why they need an entirely different CPU architecture in an x86 box with an explicit lack of backwards compatibility is beyond me.) That's a pretty curious definition of "dead."
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;689330
even the Playstation 4 isn't abandoning it entirely (though why they need an entirely different CPU architecture in an x86 box with an explicit lack of backwards compatibility is beyond me.)

If they are abandoning the PPC/Cell combo, and I'd bet they are, it's because their partners pulled out of Cell development. So they're faced with either:
1) paying for a new CPU to be developed,
2) paying for further development of the Cell and marrying it to either a newer PPC core or another ISA,
3) or they can take an off the shelf CPU/Mobo/GPU and come within a few percentage either side of their competitors whilst saving a HUGE (billions dollars) amount of money.

I think they've chosen route #3 because finally someone slightly less insane is at the helm at Sony.

Nothing to do with ease/difficulty of Cell software development or anything either, I think it's purely a logical choice based on monetary needs.

Andy

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 04:17:46 PM »
Its Sony, they have enough money to continue with cell development.
I very much doubt they would try a completely new route, when what they have has proven to work pretty well.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 18, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »
Quote from: AJCopland;689337
3) or they can take an off the shelf CPU/Mobo/GPU and come within a few percentage either side of their competitors whilst saving a HUGE (billions dollars) amount of money.

I think they've chosen route #3 because finally someone slightly less insane is at the helm at Sony.
Yeah, I get that, but as I've read the tentative PS4 design also includes a PowerPC CPU for some reason (not sure if it's Cell or not.) That's what I don't get, since they've explicitly stated there won't be any backwards compatibility...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup