Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: In light of C=USA Q&A lets look back pre Amiga Mini arrogance! :)  (Read 1046 times)

Description:

Offline DigimanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Digiman
DO NOT MOVE TO SOCK DRAW!

OK we heard all kinds of rubbish from C=USA puppets in the past. Here s a classic quote and reply.

Quote from: Karlos;642461
There are already better experiences for the x86 user: Windows + WinUAE, Linux + EUAE, AROS, Amithlon etc. What do you expect CUSA to deliver that is worth paying (more) for compared to those?

Quote from: dammy;642469

Again, you are assuming many things, including what hardware will be used.  Wait till it's announced, then flame away if you can build and exact clone in your garage for half as much including software and content.

Well.......

I found the Amiga Mini's case manufacturer and posted that a month ago (UK agent of Wesena). So all you need to add is

Micro ATX m/b+i7 2600k CPU
PSU
RAM
SSDD
+copy of Ubuntu+UAE (I have 40+ XP Pro licenses so XP Pro+WinUAE for me)

So.....unlike the C64x I CAN BUILD MY OWN AMIGA MINI FOR HALF THE PRICE  as challenged :juggler:

So what have the C=USA spies got to say to that? :roflmao:

(my machine would actually be better given XP Pro+WinUAE)

Offline brownb2

• Show only replies by brownb2
    • http://www.silentdevelopment.co.uk
Re: In light of C=USA Q&A lets look back pre Amiga Mini arrogance! :)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:57:12 PM »
Can we just put threads like this to bed? We get it, Commodore USA is evil, the CEO is a liar, etc etc. I've never been on a retro forum with so much vitriol.
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
Atari 520 STFM - 1MB, Multiface ST.
Commodore 16 - 64K Mod, SD2IEC Drive
Commodore 64C - 64K, SD2IEC Drive
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber Key - 48K, Composite Mod
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB
ZX Spectrum +3 - 128KB, DivIDE+ 64MB CF HD, Multiface 3.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:26:14 PM »
It was news to me that claims like that were made, I assumed others would have forgotten the challenge. Whilst I need exotic parts to make my own [superior] C64x I can make the Amiga Mini off the shelf.

If they don't make x86 friendly A1200 cases (or whatever cases) I might just do it myself if there is a demand. I'm more interested in how many people would want a replica cased x86 machine to use with WinUAE/AROS/Amithlon, not pointless vitriol.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:57:12 PM »
I think a lot of interest would be shown in replica cases, tbh.  Face it, no one was buying the C-USA C64's for low cost or sheer quality, she was a nostalgia factor only in my books.  At least it was something unique with a modicum of innovation, even if it was done by some guy on mini-itx.com 10 years ago.

As for which case to recreate, that's a real diceroll.  Some people like me have always hated all in one Amiga's like the A1200, while others just love 'em.  I simply dislike built in keyboards, though.  On the flipside, some people dislike the big box Amiga models due to the real estate they take up.  Just a matter of preference, really.  The A3000/A4000 T are a much beloved model as well, but I doubt many people would want a case taking up that much real estate in this day and age.

I for one would absolutely LOVE an A1000-like case that I could slam a Mini ITX board like my SAM 440 into, and perhaps a good quality keyboard that matches said case perfectly to complete the vibe.  IMHO, the A1000 was *the* classic Amiga model, and would still look real sharp on any desk.  The good thing about modern PC gear is the ATX standards as far as backplanes and such go, I guess.

Legality is a dicey issue though if there are any plans of molding in badging similar to the original, but if C-USA can sticker stuff up, it's not foolish to think some independent party could print/mold decals or badging to put on Amiga cloned cases :)  All you'd be selling was an "Amiga" inspired case design, really.

I figure there would be significant interest in something like this, enough to get the ball rolling via a Kickstarter fund anyways.  Would definitely be something I would support financially if it was good quality.

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:36 AM »
Quote from: Duce;689707
I think a lot of interest would be shown in replica cases, tbh.  Face it, no one was buying the C-USA C64's for low cost or sheer quality, she was a nostalgia factor only in my books.  At least it was something unique with a modicum of innovation, even if it was done by some guy on mini-itx.com 10 years ago.

As for which case to recreate, that's a real diceroll.  Some people like me have always hated all in one Amiga's like the A1200, while others just love 'em.  I simply dislike built in keyboards, though.  On the flipside, some people dislike the big box Amiga models due to the real estate they take up.  Just a matter of preference, really.  The A3000/A4000 T are a much beloved model as well, but I doubt many people would want a case taking up that much real estate in this day and age.

I for one would absolutely LOVE an A1000-like case that I could slam a Mini ITX board like my SAM 440 into, and perhaps a good quality keyboard that matches said case perfectly to complete the vibe.  IMHO, the A1000 was *the* classic Amiga model, and would still look real sharp on any desk.  The good thing about modern PC gear is the ATX standards as far as backplanes and such go, I guess.

Legality is a dicey issue though if there are any plans of molding in badging similar to the original, but if C-USA can sticker stuff up, it's not foolish to think some independent party could print/mold decals or badging to put on Amiga cloned cases :)  All you'd be selling was an "Amiga" inspired case design, really.

I figure there would be significant interest in something like this, enough to get the ball rolling via a Kickstarter fund anyways.  Would definitely be something I would support financially if it was good quality.
imho Kickstarter could really work for something amiga related like a new amiga styled case or other projects.There might be just enough people in the amiga community to fund something like this. Maybe the natami guys will consider using kickstarter for something natami related.I would absolutely support an amiga kickstarter campaign.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 03:56:10 AM »
Glad to see I'm not the only one who was hoping C=USA would go the C64x not the VIC Slim route for their Amiga model.

There is a kind of A1000ish case out there in looks if not dimensions and to be honest if the stickers are supplied separately by a separate supplier like the novelty/replacement ones sold on ebay legally sod all they can do. A Spanish word printed in a free to use font can not be stopped......should you wish to stick/glue it on your new computer that's up to you.....should one fall out of the box....... :)