Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA - more delays? You're kidding?  (Read 11605 times)

Description:

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
Re: commodore usa - more delays? Your kidding?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;632820
That was worth a read, especially this :

"Motorola believes the C64x mold is progressing well and getting completed in a week or two."

"I think it will be a moving experience to see the C64 coming down the conveyor belt like in the old days. "

1) Now they are saying motorola is making the cases?

2) Do they even HAVE an assembly line?

Leo is funny. I wonder if the stickers fell off his commodore pc yet.

Steven

http://1prototype.com/index.html

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »
Barry's just putting the Motorola name up there to see who owns the name....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
Quote from: mongo;632822
http://1prototype.com/index.html

Well they have the ability and claim a 1 to 25 work day prototype production.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
I suppose I just don't understand hyping a product for a year and THEN figuring out how to make them, or how the parts will be manufactured.

Seems like the chicken before the egg dosn't it?

Wait we're taking pre-orders and we don't even have the parts here yet?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;632828
I suppose I just don't understand hyping a product for a year and THEN figuring out how to make them, or how the parts will be manufactured.

But you don't understand! Barry is a Real Businessman! Didn't you hear about all the money he's put into this? What more do you need for a project like this than money!? Just have faith and those cases will manifest themselves out of thin air through the sheer power of CASH!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »

Yep, it is worrying when they're still talking prototypes and "tweaking" designs.

Worse still, as the delay to production continues, how many people who pre-order will get "buyer's remorse" and cancel and how many people who initially got caught up with the excitement of seeing a retro C64 case design will now ask themselves "well, do I really need one?"

Having done sales myself, you need to excite the customer and then wrap up the deal immediately, and not ask them to wait 3 months.  It isn't like it is a Minimig or something that you can't buy elsewhere.  This is a PC and you can buy them anywhere.  Things need to move faster and in hindsight, the advertising should have been held back a month or two (however, that probably wasn't possible because of the TRON DVD release date).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:43:04 PM by Darrin »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline yorgle

• Show only replies by yorgle
    • http://umlautllama.com
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »

It's the Amiga way!

Offline number6

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
@thread

Although other projects discussed on Amiga.org and AW haven't exactly "broadcasted" it, the problems overseas have caused parts delays. I have no knowledge of whether this affects the C64x in any way, just saying...
There are many good news articles on this topic. You can hardly find an article without also encountering the word "resin" either.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
Quote from: number6;632834
@thread

Although other projects discussed on Amiga.org and AW haven't exactly "broadcasted" it, the problems overseas have caused parts delays. I have no knowledge of whether this affects the C64x in any way, just saying...
There are many good news articles on this topic. You can hardly find an article without also encountering the word "resin" either.

What problems overseas ??? and which seas are we talking about here, the Black Sea, the Red Sea, the I Can't Sea... :)

They're probably shipping the parts from Atlantis along with the fabled Amiga range... :)

"Good news articles" !!! have you read half of them, written by so called journalists who claim things like "The original C64 is back", "Barry Altman has bought Commodore", "The C64 makes its real comeback since it was first introduced in 1992"... WTF !!!

Most of these journos are too young and have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to Commodore & the C64 other than googling for a few tit bits... :lol:

The best news will be when the headlines read "Barry Altman & CUSA head offshore to escape angry crowd who paid up front in pre-orders scam"... :D

PS:The epic fail when it comes will of course be placed on Mocchie who we all know is the real brains behind the operation... :)

Offline number6

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
Quote from: Franko;632835
What problems overseas ??? and which seas are we talking about here, the Black Sea, the Red Sea, the I Can't Sea... :)

Heh. All I'm getting at here Franko is the misconception that China makes everything.
Recent events in Japan are the source of many delays.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
Quote from: Franko;632835
The best news will be when the headlines read "Barry Altman & CUSA head offshore to escape angry crowd who paid up front in pre-orders scam"... :D

Ah, but they won't need to head offshore to escape the angry mob, they just need to head to the lawyer and disolve the company.

"Commodore USA" is actually "Commodore USA LLC" and it is the "LLC" part which is very important because it stands for "Limited Liability Company".  What it means is that if the company does something "wrong", then you can only sue the company and the company assets for compensation, and not the actual company owner and his personal assets.  So, if the company becomes bankrupt or has no assets then you're SOL.

How do I know this?  Because my company is a LLC too.  :D

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
Quote from: number6;632836
Heh. All I'm getting at here Franko is the misconception that China makes everything.
Recent events in Japan are the source of many delays.

I still can't see how events in Japan are affecting Motorollin's bedroom case production.  ;)

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
Quote from: Franko;632814

In the meantime, lets just say...

Wibble... :D

Pencils and underpants at the ready! :roflmao:

Offline number6

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 05:37:13 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;632839
I still can't see how events in Japan are affecting Motorollin's bedroom case production.  ;)

Heh. Let's face it Darrin. In the grand scheme of electronics, none of our motley crew gets to stand at the head of the line when parts are ordered. Throw in a natural disaster and that just pushes us further back in line, since the big boys will have the pull to get their supply lines restored 1st.

recent articles concerning supply, demand, and usage

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:42:43 PM by number6 »

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 05:41:43 PM »
Quote from: number6;632842
Heh. Let's face it Darrin. In the grand scheme of electronics, none of our motley crew gets to stand at the head of the line when parts are ordered. Throw in a natural disaster and that just pushes us further back in line, since the big boys will have the pull to get their supply lines restored 1st.

X86 stuff has nothing to do with manufacture in Japan only PPC/Cell based consoles. China maybe but not Japan sorry.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 21, 2011, 05:45:19 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;632840
Pencils and underpants at the ready! :roflmao:

Meanwhile, I've unearthed an actual prototype of the VIC model in action: