Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA puts Marko Hirv's name back  (Read 12913 times)

Description:

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Commodore USA puts Marko Hirv's name back
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;578695
Stop acting like it's YOUR art work.
I am not acting like it's my work.
He probably doesn't even care that Commodre USA has used it.
He might not. But that's beside the point.
If he does care he hasn't said anything about it.
He doesn't need to say anything. Until he does give explicit permission, the artwork cannot be used outside of "fair use" clause. Anything else is copyright infringement.
And to use the words "steal" and "abuse" is certainly stretching it.
No, it really isn't.
How was it "abused"?
1. It is used commercially for marketing purposes, without any permission from the author.
2. It's used as a design for a computer model, without any permission from the author.
3. The artwork has been modified, without any permission form the author.
4. At one point the author's name was removed from the artwork.

Please stop all the b;tching.
I will continue to discuss this issue until either a) the unauthorized use ceases or b) the author gives his permission for the usage.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:12:06 AM by Piru »

Offline inoel

• Show only replies by inoel
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
I am very impressed by your idealism Piru !

Offline Belial6

• Show only replies by Belial6
    • http://www.glasshead.net
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 10:22:58 PM »
Quote from: Piru;578702

He doesn't need to say anything. Until he does give explicit permission, the artwork cannot be used outside of "fair use" clause. Anything else is copyright infringement.

No, it really isn't.

1. It is used commercially for marketing purposes, without any permission from the author.
2. It's used as a design for a computer model, without any permission from the author.

I will continue to discuss this issue up until either a) the unauthorized use ceases or b) the author gives his permission for the usage.

So, did you post that from your Apple computer?  You know the one made by the infamous trade mark violators?

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 10:56:04 PM »
@Belial6

Yeah, Piru is certainly going overboard with this picture business and the way Commodore USA used Marko's picture on their web page.  With all the other copyright infringement that goes on in this world, one has to wonder why he's so angry about this case.  Could be that he just doesn't like AROS?  That's my opinion for what it's worth.  MorphOS has missed the boat by being ported to a a new architecture.  Maybe Commodore USA is cutting into his sales of MorphOS by offering PCs pre-loaded with AROS?

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;578734
@Belial6

Yeah, Piru is certainly going overboard with this picture business and the way Commodore USA used Marko's picture on their web page.  With all the other copyright infringement that goes on in this world, one has to wonder why he's so angry about this case.  Could be that he just doesn't like AROS?  That's my opinion for what it's worth.  MorphOS has missed the boat by being ported to a a new architecture.  Maybe Commodore USA is cutting into his sales of MorphOS by offering PCs pre-loaded with AROS?

Will all due respect, that is quite a stretch.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:31 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;578734
@Belial6

Given the owner of Commodore USA has flat out stated that he doesn't give a **** about AROS, I imagine this isn't the case.

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »
Quote from: Piru;578702

No, it really isn't.

I will continue to discuss this issue up until either a) the unauthorized use ceases or b) the author gives his permission for the usage.

So who made you the Copyright Police?  You can continue to post about this until the cows come home but I think most people are already tired of it and wondering why you're so pissed at Commodore USA with all the other infringement that goes on elsewhere.  You've made your point and most people on this board are tired of hearing you whine about it.

Offline kolla

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
In the meantime I will continue to sell WhichAmiga from street corners :laughing:
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline PiruTopic starter

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 11:56:14 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;578737
So who made you the Copyright Police? You can continue to post about this until the cows come home but I think most people are already tired of it and wondering why you're so pissed at Commodore USA with all the other infringement that goes on elsewhere.

No one did. As I've stated numerous times before I've been interested in copyright issues for a long time. I've posted about these things on a.org way before Commodore USA, for at least 5-6 years or so, probably longer.

Here's something from 2006 for instance:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=321605
And similar from 2007:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=321605
Some post from 2008:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=384389&postcount=34

As for some suggestions that I would be doing this because I'd feel threatened by AROS: Oh please, while you're obviously entitled to believe whatever you want that is just way idiotic (or should I say intellectually dishonest). This has absolutely nothing to do with AROS or MorphOS.

As for Apple being the evil empire: Yes, they do have some policies and methods I find disgusting. Probably one of the reasons I've never paid Apple a single euro. I do like some of their HW though.

You've made your point and most people on this board are tired of hearing you whine about it.

You feel confident about speaking in behalf of other people. I try to stand behind my own words and actions.

If some of you really feel tired of hearing about these things, just skip the threads I post to.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:21:17 AM by Piru »

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »
Quote from: ferrellsl;578737
So who made you the Copyright Police?  You can continue to post about this until the cows come home but I think most people are already tired of it and wondering why you're so pissed at Commodore USA with all the other infringement that goes on elsewhere.  You've made your point and most people on this board are tired of hearing you whine about it.

Actually, I would hazard a wager that people are more tired of the "everybody does it, so it is okay" nonsense.  Standing up for friends, colleagues, industry compatriots, or other people for that matter, is a necessity in this world.  One should not, and does not, need the authority of a uniform or political credibility to do so.  Would you sit quietly while someone robs your neighbor's house while he is on vacation?

I find it more amusing the amount of resistance to Piru's and others' brand of ethics and morality, and I have yet to read anything compelling to support the stance against.

Quote from: jorkany;578685
I think it is a cultural difference.

I request elaboration.

The line of thinking probably went like this: maybe the image creator will never see the image and nobody will recognize it, therefore no problem. If it is recognized the worst that will happen is the creator will request that CUSA stop using it - once again no problem. CUSA is not yet selling anything, so it would be difficult even in the case of a lawsuit to claim damages. No money lost==okay.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  Commodore USA has shown that it will with great vigor defend itself against perceived disrepute and other potentially negative publicity.  But in the same move it ripped off a complaint letter with absolutely no bearing on the situation, and the very site it defended is using artwork copyrighted by merit of creation for commercial gain.  In the case of a lawsuit, the mere violation Mr. Hirv's copyright is enough to garner at least a punitive reward.

Here in FL at the very least businesses will not only skirt the laws but will full on push them to the breaking point if they feel they can get away with it. The usual motivation is profit, but there are also a good number of egomaniacs running businesses here who just enjoy the feeling of power or getting away with something. Ethics rarely comes into the picture. Self-entitlement is king.

At the very least.  Shady businesses exist everywhere, not just in Florida.  At lot of the ones I deal with have been out of New York, California, and the Peoples Republic of China.  I noticed Florida has been mentioned twice in relation to poor business acumen; I am curious about the sour grapes which apparently fester in Florida.

Quote from: Belial6;578687
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you work with Windows on a regular basis?  If so, it would seem that business ethics only matter to you when it doesn't mean money in your pocket.  If that is the case, you seem to be confused about what ethics mean.

Personally I think you are wrong about this CUSA, and do not think you are unethical for using Windows to make money, but you don't get it both ways.  Either using Windows for work is unethical, or this guy is not.

Of course, Microsoft was sued by the United States Department of Justice and found guilty on many counts spanning 200+ pages.  It also paid fines and settlements for its many transgressions therein.  It was taken to task for the Stacker debacle, the direct result being DOS 6.22, as well as the deliberate crippling of Windows 3.x running on top of non-Microsoft DOS.  It has paid through the nose for its various infractions, and in our system it has paid its debt to society.  I believe the EU also has counts against it, some still in litigation.  I would say that sets Microsoft and Commodore USA well apart from each other.

Quote from: Belial6;578733
So, did you post that from your Apple computer?  You know the one made by the infamous trade mark violators?

No, it was posted from his Linux computer.  You know, the operating system full of code stolen from Unix. :hammer:

All in all, I think this thread could use a healthy dose of this,

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2010, 12:02:38 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;578742

No, it was posted from his Linux computer.  You know, the operating system full of code stolen from Unix. :hammer:

I hear that lawsuit went really well for SCO.

Wait, whats the opposite of well ? :lol:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2010, 12:52:12 AM »
Quote from: Piru;578741
If some of you really feel tired of hearing about these things, just skip the threads I post to.

Or, if someone really gets on your nerves, there's always the ignore feature :lol:
int p; // A

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 02:05:43 AM »
@Karlos

Yeah, maybe Piru should just ignore Commodore USA and Barry.  Everybody else is.

Offline AmigaEd

• His Dudeness, El Duderino
    • Show only replies by AmigaEd
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 02:33:24 AM »
Quote from: Piru;578741

Maybe someone should start a poll about this...

Someone else can make up the question but here are some potential answers...

1. I like watching Court TV.
2. I'd rather have my eye poked with a sharp stick.
3. I'd rather have my eye poked with a sharp stick and the wound packed with salt.
4. I enjoy a nice evening deposition in the company of my loved ones.
5. Copyright discussions on Amiga.org make "Young and the Restless" look like a situation comedy.
6. I should really lighten up and not take things so seriously before my heart seizes up and I have a stroke rendering me no longer capable of writing code for my Amiga.
"Pretty soon they will have numbers tattooed on our foreheads." - Jay Miner 1990

La Familia...
A1K - La Primera Dama -1987
A1K - La Princesa- January 2005
A2K - La Reina - February 2005
A2K - Doomy - March 2005
A500 - El Gran Jugador - April 2005
A1200 - La Hermosa Vista - May 2005
A2KHD - El Duro Grande - May 2005
A600 - PrĂ­stino - May 2005
A1200 - El Trueno Grande - July 2005
CDTV - El Misterioso - August 2005
C64 - El Gran Lebows

Offline Plaz

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 02:54:14 AM »
Quote from: Belial6;578701
They drove Stacker Inc. out of business even though Stacker was a product that was in high demand at the time.  That is just one example of where MS was blatantly violating copyright.  So, by your definition, they are a totally unethical company, and people should not do business with them.

I'm not a big MS fan either, but I do like getting the facts strait....

Stacker - Microsoft

And I'm not sure sure about the demand. I spend my days as a tech warning people not to use it and then charging them to recover their data when they did. It had a short life. At the time I thought MS stealing their stuff and the subsequent suing was the best revenue generator Stac could have hoped for.

Plaz

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 11, 2010, 07:45:45 AM »
PIru

Ah, thats good news. Now I see what you meant on irc. i remember when that artist put that pic on aorg years ago!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs