Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone here solely use a Classic Amiga?  (Read 9145 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
Re: Does anyone here solely use a Classic Amiga?
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:59:45 PM »
I did up until about 2002...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »
Quote from: DBAlex;564749
Cool!... So how come you had to get a PeeCee/Mac?

Well, I didn't have to, it just sort of happened, really. At that time, my A1200T was my main machine - BPPC with BVision as the main expansions.

I'd been building PC's for friends for some time and I'd generally do it for free. When they started upgrading I'd inherit bits of old systems. By 2002, all I was missing was a case and hard disk, which I picked up new and I put together my first Frankenstein build.

It soon proved fairly useful to have, but my A1200 stayed my main machine for most purposes.

I'll be honest here, the first PC I built for myself using entirely new stuff was in mid 2008 and is the one in my sig :)

I still try to use my amiga machines as much as possible. I just enjoy using them.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »
Quote from: Piru;564828
I stopped using my classic amiga (a1200) pretty much as soon as I got the Pegasos I. My A1200 was towered and expanded to the max (bppc, bvision, scsi hdds, pcmcia ethernet etc). After couple of months of not even powering the system up I dismantled it. I still have the parts, but haven't seen any reason to rebuild the system.

Why did you actually dismantle it though? Taking up space or for safer storage of the components?
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
Quote from: Piru;564845
It was a huge frankenstein fullsize tower build. It took too much space and it was hacked together with tape and spit. Powering it up sounded like A380 taking off. Yes for both counts that is. :)

You know, mine's actually not too loud. It isn't silent but I ended up using 80mm fans to generally circulate air around the inside and they aren't that noisy.

Of course, I never did get around to installing any SCSI kit. I got the scsi version of the BPPC originally thinking I better had on the grounds I couldn't upgrade it later. And yet somehow, I ended up not using it. Bit of a waste really, I should get some cabling and a SATA <-> SCSI adaptor or something.
int p; // A