Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS vs traditional Amiga vs SAM  (Read 4770 times)

Description:

Offline Painkiller

• Show only replies by Painkiller
Re: AROS vs traditional Amiga vs SAM
« Reply #89 from previous page: November 27, 2008, 02:23:39 PM »
Yes, but what he meant was that pressing the power button once would send the command to OS for shutdown which would then imidiately shut it down. Just like in windows and every other OS I can tell it to shutdown if power button is pressed.

Offline TiredOLife

• Show only replies by TiredOLife
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »
@ Gebrochen

You can't have read my post or your own properly.

You made a comment that could be interpreted in a way that would suggest if you don't have Amigas listed in your tag, you are not a proud Amiga owner.

Now as I don't have Amigas in my tag, it could be argued that it's a dig at me and others like me.

That's how you brought me into the conversation and said something against me.

Now having said all that, I wasn't actually serious, I was just pulling your leg.

I know sometimes this can be misinterpreted on a site where not everyone has the same native language.
That's why I put plenty of smilies in to show I was only joking.

Perhaps you are so quick to defend yourself, you are seeing slights that do not exist and it is you who needs to calm down.
 :-D  :lol:  :-P  ;-)  :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Again I am only joking, no offense intended.

Offline AmithonyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Amithony
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2008, 09:38:09 PM »

paolone wrote:
And why do you have a Sam then?

Why would you NOT want a SAM? :)

Offline paolone

• Show only replies by paolone
    • http://www.icarosdesktop.org
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2008, 08:30:15 AM »

JJ wrote:
And it takes at least 4 seconds when holdding down the power button to switch it off.

It generally depends on a BIOS setting. You can generally decide to turn off computer either instantly, or by pressing the PWS button for some seconds. Operating systems, however, generally have the option to "bind" the shutdown procedure to PWS button.
p.bes

Offline Sig999

• Show only replies by Sig999
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2008, 06:39:15 PM »
on topic - the SAM looks interesting, and I wish I had the cash in the coffers atm to order one - past screenshots I've not seen AOS-4 running, and my main gripe 'oh how bloody typical' thought when it came out was that you couldn't buy a machine to run it on anymore...
The second 'eyeroll' came with the lawsuit crapola 'blood hell... it's like AmithlonII!' I thought..
So Kudos to Hyperion and Acube! I'll hopefully be ordering one next year (although I don't think I could be faulted for adding a 'when both the OS and Hardware are in stock' after the last decade of Amiga History).

I look forward to folks getting the kit posting reviews...

Off topic - wha?  We've decended to 'what is an Amiga' and promoting old tech holdovers as 'features' and 'other OS non-sequiturs' pretty early!

When my 2000 started playing up last month I put it on hold while waiting for decent priced replacements to appear on Ebay and fired up 'old crappy' and dug up the variety of 'software solutions' from years gone by...

Personally I don't like running WinUae for much - nothing against it, just doesn't give me the right 'feel' for getting stuff done or tinkering with software... I prefer said things on a seperate system.. booting up and running...

Back in the day I ran Amithlon on it - but I've replaced some hardware and now its a bear to setup ... well MORE of a bear than initially... so I checked out XAmiga - (cut down gentoo linux running E-UAE)...

Emulation wise - was a LOT easier to access the internet and my other computers than either the 2000 with OS3.1 OR Amithlon with 3.9.... can't speak for 4.0 (as I said - I've not seen it - hopefully it's better than these 2). I uncommented a line in a config file - rebooted.. that was it.

To date I've had NO problem with either Ibrowse or Aweb.. dunno where the 'emulation can't access the web' thingy came from - I've yet to see any sign of that..

The clincher I guess is the shutdown (and I laughed when I saw what the debate had come down to)...

It takes me LESS time to turn off my Xamiga system than it does to turn off my A2000.

Seriously... and thats not 'turning off and walking away' thats from 'I think I'll turn this off' to 'Powered Down'.

It takes 3 seconds to powerdown that system from hitting ctrl-alt-delete (cut down system don't need much cleanup).

For giggles I timed how long it took me to reach around and flip the switch on the back of my A2000.... NOT INCLUDING TURNING OFF THE MONITOR (which the other system does as well).... 5 seconds.

Dunno - when it comes down to debating the virtues of the powerbutton I think anything productive has long flown out the window.

Offline Gebrochen

• Show only replies by Gebrochen
    • http://web.aanet.com.au/BlitterWolf
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
@ all and Piru:

My shutdown doesnt take 4 seconds, it is INSTANT.

But then, unlike you old classic amiga's, my button is right infront of me, in a Nexus case.

Then theres the fact that it literally only takes me a second.

My xp, and many other friends systems with xp, takes atleast 5 seconds to shutdown, or in many instances, a lot longer, right upto 30 seconds. WTF.

Another note, I have no hassle wqith using a mouse in certain circumstances, but it is clear to me, that some of you simply have placed your computers in places whereby you wouldnt even use a usb port??

I have to have my desktop at arms length away, as I am always using the usb sticks, cameras, etc, etc.

So, yeah, for me, it is literally 1 second, I timed it the other night, it is INSTANT.

Like a tv, I dont have to wait for it to shutdown, nor when I walk away, is it still shutting down, it is INSTANT.

Let me repeat it for you not so cleue people, INTANT equals STRAIGHT AWAY, which is equal to RIGHT AWAY. No waiting.

Cheers.

Back on topic, I personally have another computer setup with AROS and LINUX. Soon I will have a Pegasos System also, running MorphOS. This is where the fun will start next year in our Development for AOS and MOS.

Cheers.

:quickdraw:
Courtesy of SAM440 Flex & Amiga OS4.1 Update 3 only & Debian
SAM Flex 800
CD32 with SX-1 Expansion & 98 Titles
x86 AROS
A1000 & A500
x86 Box Linux Cinnamon
https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com.au

:evil: :popcorn:

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2008, 02:31:29 AM »

Amithony wrote:

Why would you NOT want a SAM? :)

Because there are other (IMHO better) alternatives. I already have a Pegasos and Efika running MorphOS, there's nothing that attractive in OS4 to make me spending my funds on an expensive Sam-Board.

Also I find this calcuation quite convincing:

For more or less the same amount (bare Sam-Board (w/o case, drive, psu)+ OS4 = 666,90 EUR @ Vesalia) I get an Eee (The Eee 900A cost me 240 EUR) *and* a Mac Mini including MorphOS 2.x license (Mac Mini about 275 EUR, MorphOS 150 EUR).

Bare Sam + OS4=666,90 EUR or
Eee 240EUR + Mini 275EUR+ MorphOS 150EUR=665EUR

I took my choice.

For the record: If Sam incl. OS4 was 300 EUR I'd bite and add a OS4 maschine to my colection. Of course it is a nice system, too. But I doubt I would use it a lot.

Offline Gebrochen

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2008, 03:33:31 AM »
@ Zylesea:

Excuse me, but for those of us that do not deal with the PPC mac hardware, what is an EEE 900A, and specs of it?

Also, has MorphOS been ported yet to any MAC hardware and what type of MAC PPC type hardware has it been ported to, if at all yet?? If so, can you please write a list of hardware here?

Thank you.

P.S. I am most likely retireving a peg to run MorphOS this thrusday, that will mean I will then be running, Amiga OS4.1, MorphOS, and ubuntu for now, later Debian, duel boot systems. Cheers.

:-D
SAM Flex 800
x86 AROS
A1000 & A500
x86 Box Linux Cinnamon

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2008, 04:04:54 PM »

Gebrochen wrote:
@ Zylesea:

Excuse me, but for those of us that do not deal with the PPC mac hardware, what is an EEE 900A, and specs of it?

The Eee 900A is nothing with ppc and nothing with Amiga at all. It is a Linux driven 8.9" 1.6 GHz Intel Atom netbook by Asus. It was just an example what you get for the difference a Sam + AOS4 costs and a Mac Mini + MorphOS costs.
And I spent this difference for that said 900A.

Offline Sig999

• Show only replies by Sig999
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
@gebrochen

I think you missed the point - the point not being 'speed races' to shut off our computer, but to basically point out that your comments on the length needed to shut down an emulated system were incorrect.

It takes me around the same amount of time to shut down an emulated system as it does to turn of an original A2000.

....personally, as I mentioned in my other post - when your main point of discussion is how fast you can turn it off (because we all know how those valuable seconds add up in the day!) - the 'debate' is seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Of the many virtues the machine still holds (OS3.9 on that old system runs much smoother and better than windows xp did - also the programs... even bloaty ones - are much smaller) - how fast I can turn it off wouldn't be ranked in the top 10.

Then again - the Amiga has always been really good at turning off!  Even all by itself! (guru anyone?) haha

Offline Damion

« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:21 PM »

Gebrochen wrote:

Let me repeat it for you not so cleue people, INTANT equals STRAIGHT AWAY, which is equal to RIGHT AWAY. No waiting.

Some programs (like antivirus) take a few seconds to close, this isn't the fault of XP. Amiga has a lower overhead than any mainstream OS, that's basically the only reason you can just flick it off. Plus, you still have to save your work before hitting the off button, so in that respect s3 standby is actually faster - instantaneous standby, instantaneous resume with all your work as you left it. (Honestly though, a 1 vs 4 second shutdown is kind of a silly argument. ;-))

Offline Gebrochen

« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2008, 02:20:38 AM »
@ D:

OK, well, in all honesty, my system always took between 20 seconds onwards to turn off. Most of my friends have xperienced roughly the same.

The turn on time also takes anywhere from 1 minute to 7 minutes if computer is on a network.

SO

I did not want to get flamed, and that is why I was being nice, with the 5 second {bleep}, which is totally untrue for a turn off time of the xp type OS.

BUt, you knew that ;)

Anyway, I just know, I find it less hassle late at night, I feel like I can turn it off at anytime. And er, when my system actually crashed/Froze, os4.1 that is, it also recovered my email I had written, so, what you say is not entirely true, about the autosaving.

mmmmmm, Maybe its true for older Amiga OS's.

Overal, I am very happy to say, have not had the need at all to even use windows anymore at home. And that has meant a more stress free life for me. :) as I am on my computer every night after work.

Cheers.

Hahahahaha, its kind of amusing, all this off switching talk, and yet the topic is actually meant to be comparing not XP, but AROS, Traditional and SAM, its not evenmeant to be comparing emulated. hahaha.

Have a good one people.  :-D
SAM Flex 800
x86 AROS
A1000 & A500
x86 Box Linux Cinnamon