Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS vs traditional Amiga vs SAM  (Read 4771 times)

Description:

Offline Hans_

Re: AROS vs traditional Amiga vs SAM
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »

dammy wrote:
In terms of "Real" Amiga = custom hardware & official OS, the SAM is the way to go

Except that SAM440, although a good mobo, is neither custom nor official.

Dammy

However, it is officially supported by Amiga OS 4.1 (with Hyperion Entertainment writing the drivers, etc.) and is being sold as an Amiga. This whole "it's not an Amiga" routine is getting boring.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline Hans_

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »

Phantom wrote:
Dammy is right. SAM is not Amiga. If you remove the AmigaOS, there is nothing inside that reminds Amiga.

Maybe ACube should put "Amiga" on the silkscreen somewhere on the next run so that you have your reminder.

Hans

http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 04:29:31 PM »
However, it is officially supported by Amiga OS 4.1 (with Hyperion Entertainment writing the drivers, etc.) and is being sold as an Amiga. This whole "it's not an Amiga" routine is getting boring.

If it bores you, don't read my posts.  It's less of an Amiga then my x86 running AF since AF is directly licensed by AI.  Unlike the past POS hardware that AI/Eyetech badged as an Amiga, SAM440 is decent hardware but that alone does not make it an Amiga.  Now after tomorrow, if AI recognizes the SAM440 as AmigaTwo, then it's all fine but today, it is not recognized by those who have the power to call it an "Amiga."  Now I could call it an Linux Box or AROS Box since those two OSs were out before OS4 was for SAM440.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
Maybe ACube should put "Amiga" on the silkscreen somewhere on the next run so that you have your reminder.

I doubt ACube would be that stupid.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 04:42:10 PM »
ACTUALLY, it could be called an Amiga(2 or 440EP) until Amiga Inc. WINS in court and Hyperion is ACTUALLY FORCED to stop selling AOS4.1, as they in fact have NOT been FORCED to STOP selling AOS4.1 by any court anywhere on the planet.

And EVEN THEN, AmigaOnes are FOREVER AmigaOnes with AOS4.1.

But, we all know (and some loathe) that Hyperion Ent. is gonna skunk Amiga Inc. in these litigation proceedings.
:-D :-D :-D
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline dammy

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »
ACTUALLY, it could be called an Amiga(2 or 440EP) until Amiga Inc. WINS in court and Hyperion is ACTUALLY FORCED to stop selling AOS4.1, as they in fact have NOT been FORCED to STOP selling AOS4.1 by any court anywhere on the planet.

Then why haven't they?

Dammy
Dammy

Offline Hans_

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 04:47:19 PM »

dammy wrote:

If it bores you, don't read my posts.

Your posts happen to be in threads that I read; that makes it rather hard to avoid reading them. What's annoying is that every one of these threads about the SAM 440 and Amiga OS 4.1 ends up with the "it's not an Amiga" discussion. As an AROS supported I know that it suits you to say this, but why not leave Amiga OS 4.1 and the SAM 440 to people that actually have an interest in the system.

It's less of an Amiga then my x86 running AF since AF is directly licensed by AI. Unlike the past POS hardware that AI/Eyetech badged as an Amiga, SAM440 is decent hardware but that alone does not make it an Amiga.  Now after tomorrow, if AI recognizes the SAM440 as AmigaTwo, then it's all fine but today, it is not recognized by those who have the power to call it an "Amiga."

That depends on your view of the lawsuit and the licensing agreement. The judge has allowed Hyperion to continue as if the original agreement was in place and it is legally questionable whether Amiga Inc. have any say over Amiga OS at all.

Now I could call it an Linux Box or AROS Box since those two OSs were out before OS4 was for SAM440.

And here we are back right where you started in a different thread several weeks ago. It is officially supported by Amiga OS 4.1 and it's being marketed as an Amiga OS 4.1 machine; according to the wording of the original licensing agreement, this actually makes it "target PPC" hardware.

Hans

Offline Atheist

• Show only replies by Atheist
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »
Dammy wrote:

Then why haven't they?

I don't know, but I do know that Hyperion hasn't been found guilty of anything yet, and the court hasn't told Hyperion that Hyperion can't sell HYPERION'S SW. I don't see any problem?

I've always said Hyperion should proceed sooner rather than later.
\\"Which would you buy? The Crappy A1200, 15 years out of date... or the Mobile Phone that I have?\\" -- bloodline
So I guess that A500, 600, 1000, 2000, CDTV, CD32, are pure garbage then? Thanks for posting here.

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »

Atheist wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Then why haven't they?

I don't know, but I do know that Hyperion hasn't been found guilty of anything yet, and the court hasn't told Hyperion that Hyperion can't sell HYPERION'S SW. I don't see any problem?

I've always said Hyperion should proceed sooner rather than later.

The problem is that Hyperion ain't selling HyperionOS, Hyperion is selling Amiga OS...

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
Add to that, the amount of people in the last short while who are posting with join dates of 3 and more years ago, and they have under 100 posts, and many with even less than 20!!!!

There's one guy on here who recently posted his second post after like 2 years. Started quite a stir.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »

Piru wrote:
Whether certain AROS version (1.0?) will sement the ABI and provide guaranteed compatibility in the future remains to be seen.

It will ...
eventually when the moon and the stars are right.

Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline dammy

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »
by Hans_ on 2008/11/19 11:47:19

Quote:

dammy wrote:
    Quote:

If it bores you, don't read my posts.

Your posts happen to be in threads that I read; that makes it rather hard to avoid reading them. What's annoying is that every one of these threads about the SAM 440 and Amiga OS 4.1 ends up with the "it's not an Amiga" discussion. As an AROS supported I know that it suits you to say this, but why not leave Amiga OS 4.1 and the SAM 440 to people that actually have an interest in the system.

Except I'm no longer a AROS supporter.  Several months ago I transferred TeamAROS to Power2People and has since closed the TeamAROS ML down.  I'm keeping the domain name since I do have emails tied to it.  Even if I was still a AROS supporter, what possible difference could it make to me about what OS SAM440 is running since it runs AROS as well? Would I be losing out on a sale?  Would I be losing out on any money?  So I'm not sure what your trying to prove.  If anything new OS4 tied sales gives a potential AROS box as well.  If AI want's to endorse SAM440 starting on Nov 20th, it's a good mobo to do so on, but that is up to AI to designate and not for OS4 fan boys to do so.  Nor could it possibly be considered a true Amiga, it lacks anything from C=, including but not limiting to custom hardware with custom chipsets.

I still point to the fact, it's not officially being called an "Amiga" two or four.five or whatever, it's still a SAM440.

That depends on your view of the lawsuit and the licensing agreement. The judge has allowed Hyperion to continue as if the original agreement was in place and it is legally questionable whether Amiga Inc. have any say over Amiga OS at all.

Original agreement spelled out what hardware could run OS4.  Harware was either existing or AmigaOne.  The hardware for the AmigaOne was designated by the other half of the Amiga partners, Eyetech. Has Eyetech designated SAM440 as an AmigaONE?  The judge clearly stated he would allow continue under the current circumstances, which is before Hyperion went with SAM440, since it was about money and that could be corrected at a later date.  So it's legally questionable if Hyperion and any retail outlets be held responsible for unlawful sales of Amiga Inc's IP.

And here we are back right where you started in a different thread several weeks ago. It is officially supported by Amiga OS 4.1 and it's being marketed as an Amiga OS 4.1 machine; according to the wording of the original licensing agreement, this actually makes it "target PPC" hardware.

IIRC, in the contract, all OS4 sales had to be tied to an approved Amiga.  Last I checked, Eyetech has not approved the SAM440.  Maybe they will in a few hours as we wait to see what happens in Seattle tomorrow morning.  

Dammy
Dammy

Offline pixie

• Show only replies by pixie
    • http://savoc.tripod.com
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 10:34:19 PM »
@dammy:
Except I'm no longer a AROS supporter.

Please define 'I'm no longer a AROS supporter'.

pixie- writing from a paradise called Portugal

Offline dammy

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:56 PM »
Please define 'I'm no longer a AROS supporter'.

Hrm, I no longer donate money nor time to the AROS effort.  I do not see a viable OS coming from AROS other then as a 1980s-1990s replacement of AOS.  Sorry, those were some interesting decades but time moves on as does desktop OS requirements.  I put in a ton of time, money, and effort into AROS.  I believe I've been apart of a team that push AROS forward, but that wall we hit was mighty hard and mighty high.

I still have the objective of a usable daily desktop OS that isn't a major PITA to use.  I've come to respect the wall as it is and as it should be, and went around. I traded in the cat for a dog. :^)

Dammy
Dammy

Offline Gebrochen

• Show only replies by Gebrochen
    • http://web.aanet.com.au/BlitterWolf
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 01:24:45 AM »
@ Dammy:

DOnt wish to get flamed, but I cleared this topic with you a few weks ago also, that for me, SAM440ep with os4.1 is ads AMIGA computer as it gets for me. It is the first time I have finally been able to have a modern Amiga system.

However, if you want to call it linux in a box, mac system, aros system, even zeta system, then go for it, I dont care, IN my heart, and many who have bought the SAM440EP to run OS4.1 it is and will remain the newest edition to the AMIGA system and AMIGA OS range.

NOW, Go and support your MACS. TO me, every line and everything you say suggests to me you have MAC in your heart. THats all fine and good, My colleague programmer has mac and amiga, but atleast he admits that sam440ep can be considered a new amiga system.

Cheers.

P.S. HANS, Im with you on this one. Im sure Andeda and others owning a sam with os4.1 may agree with your open minded outlook on the situation of how SAM is being marketed as a new AMIGA board or system.

CHeers again.

DAMMY: Im cool with you, just letting you know, we all are allowed to have different viewpoints, but reality remains, it is being marketed as an amiga system or package.
Courtesy of SAM440 Flex & Amiga OS4.1 Update 3 only & Debian
SAM Flex 800
CD32 with SX-1 Expansion & 98 Titles
x86 AROS
A1000 & A500
x86 Box Linux Cinnamon
https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com.au

:evil: :popcorn:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 20, 2008, 04:06:56 AM »
@Gebrochen

Of course we can love Macs and Amigas, the competition ended long ago.  The Amiga is a great fun computer, something to tinker with.  The Mac is a productivity machine.  They each have their place.

As for Sam, let's see, over priced, proprietary chips. kinda buggy, yep it's an Amiga....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.