Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The $500 000 Question: How much is Amiga *worth*?  (Read 5561 times)

Description:

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
Re: The $500 000 Question: How much is Amiga *worth*?
« on: September 16, 2006, 10:06:53 PM »
My best guessamate is between $20K and $90K, depending on well they have their IP squared away.  Unless your looking at it to bash Hyperion over the head with, then it could be pricesless.  :popcorn:

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 06:44:14 PM »
And who will do this and on what hardware? How will it get marketed?

Truely amazing that those who have not gotten their hands dirty in sales of any thing Amiga related live in such fantasy world were Amiga is economically viable.  The only thing Amiga Inc has is copyrights and some licenses to patents that are going to expire shortly.  That's worth alot, not.  What's left, the logo?  Oh hold me back.  WB 3.1?  Even when it was mentioned if Bill Buck got ownership of WB, he would donate it to AROS, the AROS crews said they didn't want it.  That's pretty damning right there.  DEad?  It's way out of date and all that work on current apps will have to be reworked since the new Intent is so radically different then the orginal Intent Fleecy was getting excited about.  Of course, we can't forget the shell game, who knows how well Billed&Fleeced hid their corporate liabilities from those who have judgements agains Amiga Inc WA.  Even more liabilities a new owner would have to consider and that effects the final sale price.

For those who think different, please, please, morgage your house a second time and max out those credit cards and open Amiga shops.  There are Billions to be made, right?

/me tosses another wooden stake to redrumloa.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 07:08:48 PM »
There's a name for people like that. They're called entrepeneurs.

As someone who got out of the retail end of selling Amiga related products, it was very clear, that market is not economically viable. So show me up, go spend lots of money on setting up a store and let me know how wealthy you become.  Feel free to rub in my face that you were right.

btw, your post could have just as easily been written about Apple in 1993.

Pity it took them 10 plus years to realize what many have been saying all long, PPC was not a viable choice for desktop CPU.  Thankfully for Apple, they realized this before it was too late.

Dammy
Head Troll
Black Troll Technology Corporation
Dammy

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 12:37:38 PM »
i dont know what your definition of 'a few' is, but millions of people isnt a few in my book. these are people to whom the word amiga rings a bell in one form or another, and for by far the largest part of these a very positive bell too, though most of them never even owned an amiga.

Too bad that proved out to be badly overestimated by the sales of A1s and Pegs.  Clearly there USE to be millions of Amiga users, we judge that by number of units sold world wide.  Now that Eyetech has headed for the hills with pathetic sales and Genesi had to go to *nix groups to make any sales numbers, it's plain to most rational folks, there is no market left.  There are thousands (in the four digits) of customers out there, not tens of millions nor one million like so many would like to believe.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »
The A1 is an uninspired piece of junk and it, too, was poorly marketed. It used a canned, off-the-shelf PPC board (probably the same boards Apple was using at the time), totally unoriginal and uninspiring; just nothing there to get excited about. Plus it was a CLEAR transparent attempt to exploit the Amiga name uing stock "ho-hum/yawn" technology. OF COURSE it was going to fail. It was doomed before it hit the starting gate.

The whole concept of the unholy trio was doomed from the start with piss poor business plan.  Say they took a x86 mobo and rebadged it.  Who the hell is going to pay nearly a grand for it?  As horrific of a disaster the project it was, if there were really million(s) of Amiga fans out there waiting for the resurrection of the Amiga, they could have gotten atleast 10% of that market just by slapping the boingball on the case.  That didn't happen at all.  They sold, what, less then two thousand units with Genesi selling about the same before they focused on linux?

No, there are no millions of Amigians awaiting for Amiga5000's release.  There are no millions awaiting for the next AmigaDE.  Wake up and smell the coffee, economic viablility of the Amiga Market died years ago.

Dammy
Dammy

Offline dammy

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
You can't argue with baseless enthusiasm, sorry. I've been there myself, up to about 2002. In these very forums in ~2001 Wayne scoffed at the very notion I was putting forward that the Amiga could make a serious comeback. So shocking I thought, he couldn't possibly be right. I couldn't handle that iea. Wayne was right 5 (FIVE) years ago. Nothing has changed except even the dream has faded away with a wimper. The Amiga is a historic retro computer and unless you see someone with extremely deep pockets take stupid pills, it will stay that way.

That's the reason I keep tell people to put their money where their mouth is.  They insist there is a huge market waiting to be tapped, I say go for it, spend your own money on your dream.

Dammy
Dammy