Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 68k speed and sound lag through RuninUAE  (Read 2509 times)

Description:

Offline Rob

Re: 68k speed and sound lag through RuninUAE
« on: December 28, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »
Quote from: Pat the Cat;818237
Ouch. From your screenies, you are set using a bog standard A4000 with 2MB of chip RAM and no fast RAM.

That's a crappy setting for games compatibility. For older games, try 512KB or 1MB of chip RAM, and 512KB or more of fast RAM.

If you can set Agnus type, 8372 is the magic number for a "classic" 1.3 Amiga, half mega of chip RAM, half megabyte "trapdoor" fast RAM. 8371 or earlier Agnus is half meg chip RAM at most. Rarely a very old game might insist on the older version, 8372 or up is 1MB or more chip RAM (and ECS and other video outputs with a Super Denise).

Bitmap Brothers just LOVED to hit hardware as hard as they could... heh heh... Chaos Engine I think had problems with 1Mb Chip RAM. It was developed on an A3000 (one of the few games that were, successfully) so I'd say very likely it expects some fast RAM. Could be wrong on that.

The issue here seems to be speed and not compatibility.  Altering the RAM, Kickstart etc is going to improve performance although OCS/ECS emulation for OCS/ECS games might be a bit quicker.

Offline Rob

Re: 68k speed and sound lag through RuninUAE
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:16:59 PM »
Quote from: liamwhyoung;818264
I'm experimenting with AmigaOS 4.1 FE through emulation before comitting to specific hardware. WHDLoad allows me to run games from an OS 4.1 Hard Disk but doesn't alter the runtime performance.

It sounds like you're probably at the limits of what the emulation can do on your hardware.  

If you have an old CRT monitor tucked away that you can hook up to your hardware then you may be able to run a real 320x256 or similar resolution if Windows allows it.  If not frame skipping may improve the experience in a less than ideal way.