Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Not just Blue vs.Red vs.Black.  (Read 2752 times)

Description:

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
Re: Not just Blue vs.Red vs.Black.
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 20, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;715781
While I find the X1000 interesting, the logic in spending 3 grand for a sub G5 performance system doesn't add up.

And you expect people in general to be primarily logical actors?

How about people on an Amiga board? :)

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;715816
Well said!

Many people will disagree with this ridiculous "MorphOS is Amiga done right!" nonsense, because how is a MACINTOSH an Amiga? Really, how is this hard to understand?

Well, in what sense is an X1000 an Amiga other than by name? Neither have anything in common with the A1000, 500, 2000, 3000, 4000 or 1200 except their processors are compatible with some rather obscure PPC expansion for the originals. Older versions of both OS 4 and MorphOS run on original hardware, too, right?

It's pointless arguing over which is the best or which is "Amiga done right" when everybody is so opinionated and zealous. It all basically boils down to personal preference, and there's no sensical reason for anyone to get upset and resort to ad hominem over someone else disagreeing about such a banality, even if they are being loud and smug about it. Everyone is free to state their opinion, and people should recognize that even when it's not very gracefully executed.

EDIT:
The post is based on the assumption that you are on the "OS4 side" of this petty battle, but I guess that might not be the case.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:13:21 PM by Linde »

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;715774
@Iggy

OMG, what is it *this* time? :rolleyes: Please keep me out of your bantering!

:whack:

Please don't feed the troll, this is why he created this thread.  There is no other reason for him to have started this thread just to bash you and myself.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Quote from: Linde;715865
Well, in what sense is an X1000 an Amiga other than by name?

It's not. An X1000 is an X1000, just like a Sam is a Sam, a Mac is a Mac, a PC is a PC, a C64 is C64, an MSX is an MSX, and so on, regardless of what you run on those (and other) machines.

It's pointless arguing over which is the best or which is "Amiga done right"

Of course, because there is no Amiga done right; there is the Amiga hardware, which ended with AGA, there are various Amiga software platforms, which provide some sort of hardware emulation, and there are various Amiga operating system platforms. The only thing that is Amiga here is the hardware.

It all basically boils down to personal preference

When it comes down to what you want to use, then sure it does.

EDIT:

The post is based on the assumption that you are on the "OS4 side" of this petty battle, but I guess that might not be the case.

I'm not on any side here. If people like using AOS4 or MorphOS, then that's fine with me. I don't have to use those operating systems, so it's no problem of mine. However, those operating systems don't change the computers they run on into Amigas, just like running a PC emulator doesn't change an Amiga into a PC. My problem is that some people seem to think otherwise. If people were only talking about Amiga software platforms, then I'd have no problem with any of it.

Offline IggyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
Quote from: dammy;715868
Please don't feed the troll, this is why he created this thread.  There is no other reason for him to have started this thread just to bash you and myself.

Oh you.
Its not that I have the urge to bash you Dammy.
You just piss me of.

I can handle people like Thorham.
I understand his point of view and see the validity in it.
Which is one of the reasons I changed my signature.
MorphOS wasn't designed to turn anything into an Amiga.
It was designed to supplant an Amiga.

But you Dammy.
You argue that we should just use the exact same hardware being used in all other X86 systems.

So don't pretend that I lump takemehomegrandma in with you. I like him.

He uses MorphOS.

And don't feel yourself so important that I'd create a thread about you.
Your opinions and you yourself mean very little to me because you support nothing I care about.

Anyone that thinks this thread was created for malign purposes is a dumb ass.

It was created because I want to see us be less divisive and more supportive of all the Amiga or Amigoid.

And yes Thoram, this includes operating systems based on the 3.1 API because the OS that comes from was called Amiga OS.

Now will you people stop bickering?!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:33:40 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 09:04:26 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;715816
Well said!

Many people will disagree with this ridiculous "MorphOS is Amiga done right!" nonsense, because how is a MACINTOSH an Amiga? Really, how is this hard to understand?

It should be "MorphOS is AmigaOS done right" or "MorphOS is AmigaOS4.x done right" ;-)
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »
It should be "MorphOS is AmigaOS done right" or "MorphOS is AmigaOS4.x done right" ;-)

:roflmao:

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
It should be: "Use whatever the hell you want, just don't call machines that aren't Amigas, Amigas.".

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;715918
It should be: "Use whatever the hell you want, just don't call machines that aren't Amigas, Amigas.".

I think it should be called "remove the sand from your private parts, have a coke and a smile and STFU with the butthurt over peoples signatures or NG OS prefrences"

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;715870
It's not. An X1000 is an X1000, just like a Sam is a Sam, a Mac is a Mac, a PC is a PC, a C64 is C64, an MSX is an MSX, and so on, regardless of what you run on those (and other) machines.

Of course, because there is no Amiga done right; there is the Amiga hardware, which ended with AGA, there are various Amiga software platforms, which provide some sort of hardware emulation, and there are various Amiga operating system platforms. The only thing that is Amiga here is the hardware.

When it comes down to what you want to use, then sure it does.

I'm not on any side here. If people like using AOS4 or MorphOS, then that's fine with me. I don't have to use those operating systems, so it's no problem of mine. However, those operating systems don't change the computers they run on into Amigas, just like running a PC emulator doesn't change an Amiga into a PC. My problem is that some people seem to think otherwise. If people were only talking about Amiga software platforms, then I'd have no problem with any of it.

+1 on all points from an aros apologist.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 12:10:30 AM »

I can't imagine Commodore could have created better OS than MorphOS and better hardware than PowerBook. Quite opposite when they screwed up basicly everything.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
Quote from: itix;715934
I can't imagine Commodore could have created better OS than MorphOS and better hardware than PowerBook..
To quote a great man..

"I don't know; I can imagine quite a bit.."

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;715918

I would go for: "Why in hell am I still reading amiga.org signatures?"
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
Who knows what would have been the next gen amiga if not for the downfall. Would have most certainly been powerpc I suppose. 68000 line was at its end.

The problem with powerpc is that although it creates compatibility for old 68k system friendly apps, there is no where to go after powerpc. Its another dead end. People can say whatever they want about some obscure power pc processors still being produced, but its a dead end period.

The original custom chips were amigas greatest strength but also their biggest
problem with moving the platform forward. I think its cool to see different versions of what people think the next gen amiga should be. For me? Thats AROS. - The greatest power for the smallest hardware price.

I hope to see alot more native apps for aros. Its nice to be able to run legacy apps... BUT, You can't use dpaint today. Can't use protracker today,Can't use lightwave today, you need more powerful creative apps that take advantage of available resources.

Aros is becoming more stable, more usable for everyday work slowly but surely. I hope they get over the one core issue and expand the hardware
drivers... Its also spreading out, now available for 68k, arm, x86, powerpc,
and more to come.