Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So what phone does everyone use?  (Read 11997 times)

Description:

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: So what phone does everyone use?
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 24, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
I just checked, the ADSL2 I have provides a phone line too.  I'll be buggered what the number is, but apparently there's one.  I'll have to check the phone directory on my iPhone to see if something is listed somewhere.  It was cheaper than my old ADSL alone so I just assumed they weren't going to provide a phone (naked ADSL) number too.  

So it's there, it isn't ever going to be used and I don't have an old fashion landline phone left to test it with, so I may never know whether it works or not.

Quote from: Franko;624337
Ever heard of wireless house phones... ;)

or changing your landline supplier... :)

Or call blocking or ex directory to keep the telemarketers out... :)

PS: if you have no landline how do you connect to the net ???
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
Quote from: persia;624355
I just checked, the ADSL2 I have provides a phone line too.  I'll be buggered what the number is, but apparently there's one.

Get yourself an old landline phone and hook it up... then I'll try calling all the numbers in OZ and see if I can get through to you... :)

Only cost's me 4p a call on my package to phone OZ and their can't be many of you in that barren wasteland that have new fangled things like phones or electricity... :D

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;624346
There's a guy with an Imsai 8080 and paper tape reader who thinks you're all a bunch of effete snobs.

Ok I admit, this had me howling with laughter. Well played!

Posted via a hsdpa connection.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline tone007

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
I haven't had a land line since 2003 or so, and I only got that because dialup internet was the only thing available where I was living.  In the rare event anyone needs to call me, it's probably an emergency and having a phone ringing miles away from where I am is not helpful.

Generally, though, most of my "phone" usage in the communication sense of the device is for work email.  I also find it useful on long days of Amiga hunting.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
I went without a cell phone for a few months and did not miss it too much, but it is convenient to be able to call while traveling without needing to find a pay phone, which are very scarce these days, because everyone else has a cell phone and pay phones don't get used any more.  My car radio has Bluetooth built-in with a nice voice activated contact list and dialer which makes calling while driving a snap.

I am very suprised there are so many people here that are against using cell phones altogether.  They can be annoying at times, but their usefulness far outweighs their annoyance factors.

I have an iPhone3GS that is jail-broken and unlocked so I can use it on any compatible carrier's network and just switch sim cards when traveling to different countries, instead of paying expensive roaming charges.  I don't have a contract and use the cheapest month-to-month plan that T-Mobile offers.  I like the user interface that the iPhone offers and the way the touch screen works so smoothly, plus I like having something to entertain me while I am waiting for a doctor's appointment, or at the DMV, or other similar long waits.

I might even one day install an Amiga emulator on my iPhone to see how well it works.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »
I have a cell phone. I misplaced it last week. I should probably give myself a call. It probably needs to be charged by now.

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 11:42:42 PM »
Nokia N900 running Maemo 5 :cool:
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline mingle

• Show only replies by mingle
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 11:55:52 PM »
I had a cheap and basic Nokia 1100, but the SIM card expired (since I didn't use it)... Now it sits in the drawer...

Offline The_Gooze

• Show only replies by The_Gooze
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:57 AM »
Nokia N900 at the moment and sometimes switch back to my trusty N95 8Gb if I feel the need
The_Gooze!

Offline motrucker

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2011, 12:08:23 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;624346
Awesome.  It's always so nice to see the amigoid crowd chime in about how they don't need this newfangled that or the other - and then justify it with (uninformed) comments about the functionality.

I remember when using an Amiga meant having a computer that was cutting edge, ultra high-tech and ran rings around the rest.  Now, if this thread was anything to go by, the sad remainders of the userbase are a bunch of bitter old Luddites who'd prefer the tech world be a more frustrating, slower and harder to use place.

And for the record I have a Samsung Intercept as my sole phone, bill ranges anywhere from $25-$60, depending on what I want to pay Virgin Mobile on any given month.  No contracts, and if it comes down to it I can tether it to my PC and use it as my broadband connection, cutting the $50 Sprint wireless 4g bill out of the budget.

As for the rest?  There's a guy with an Imsai 8080 and paper tape reader who thinks you're all a bunch of effete snobs.

It's quite possible to be on the edge of some technologies, and not give a flaming fart about another...
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2011, 12:42:19 AM »
congrats on your new phone!  

However you left off an important cool phone the Palm Pre (WebOS) I LOVE my Palm pre. It blows my gf's Blackberry curve away, I think its better than Iphony 4 for reliablity. I've had the phone 2 yrs now and have been able to go online, chat, launch email app and read email and view attachments, view files, and Talk all at the same time with no slowdown. Now I hear HP who acquired Palm is launching Palm pre2 with a tablet device as well running WebOS 2.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »
Quote from: RobertB;624286
A Commodore phone, of course!  As in this one at

FCUG celebrating 30 years,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Like that!  Um I have a lowly TracFone...I dropped Verizon .. had an HTC Imagio( winwdoze mobile 6.5 was crap) when it first came out, returned it got a Chocolate Touch.. then paid to get out of my contract.  Until these carries offer the data plan "a la carte".. Im sticking with a no contract phone..

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »
Hi,

@Kesa,

I have a portable phone that sort of looks like the Commodore phone, but it has no Commodore emblems or stickers on it. It has all kind of really good Apps that I have not found on any of those wussy modern day phones, I mean this phone is a mans phone all the way down to the spin around dialer.

First App is really neat, if a mugger tries to mug me, I just take the phone out of its cradle and beat the blimey mugger with it.

Second App if the mugger has a gun I just hold on to the phone end and throw the cradle at him, the coiled wire acts like a spring and brings the cradle back to me.

Ringtones -- a little sparse, just goes ding a ling, than repeats.

Coverage area -- it goes a hundred yards with the original extension cord, can go further with upgrades.

Charges -- hey you gets what you pay for with these, but I don't have to worry about peak calling charges.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline tone007

« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
Quote from: Vlabguy1;624427
Until these carries offer the data plan "a la carte".. Im sticking with a no contract phone..

Generally they do, or you can also get a no contract plan with Cricket that offers unlimited voice and data for $55 per month.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »
Quote from: tone007;624430
Generally they do, or you can also get a no contract plan with Cricket that offers unlimited voice and data for $55 per month.

Never heard of Cricket.  I mean the big service providers.. I would love to get an iPhone but
don't really want/need the data plan.  

I mean heck I can check email, FB etc with my tracfone.  I love being in control of what I spend.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2011, 02:11:41 AM »
I've had a phone form all three big carriers at one time or another, or at least a sim card from them.  I always end up back with vodafone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.