Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So what phone does everyone use?  (Read 11890 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: So what phone does everyone use?
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
@ Kesa

Oi... numpty where's the option for those of us who would never be daft enough to use a mobile phone even if we were paid to do so... ;(

PS:As your head of the Pancakes.org group here where's the Pancakes option too... :(

(You've really fecked this poll up... :D)

@ Nicholas

WOW... that's the first time I've ever heard of a mobile phone being put to good use... :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:14:34 PM by Franko »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 12:21:04 PM »
I actually only got myself a mobile at all so as to save money. Cheaper than needing a home phone, especially when I make very, very few calls. Doubl-ey so as I had someone buy me the phone I had. Cost me about $10 every 3 months to keep going. Now that the phone I had for about 6 years is dead though I may end up with something a little more functional than what I had (not sure its even possible to buy such simple phones anymore). Receiving phone calls, SMS msgs, and a Commodore64 emulator for those times I find myself taking long train rides should do nicely :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »
Quote from: Franko;624255
@ Kesa

Oi... numpty where's the option for those of us who would never be daft enough to use a mobile phone even if we were paid to do so... ;(

PS:As your head of the Pancakes.org group here where's the Pancakes option too... :(

(You've really fecked this poll up... :D)

@ Nicholas

WOW... that's the first time I've ever heard of a mobile phone being put to good use... :)

Whatever you do, don't read the letter in this months Computer Music magazine from a musician who had a major stroke leaving him with permanent physical disabilities and unable to use his equipment any more.

The iPad has enabled him to make music once more!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »
N900 with Maemo and android here. (And AmigaOS of course).

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
This kind:

Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 12:42:01 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624257
Whatever you do, don't read the letter in this months Computer Music magazine from a musician who had a major stroke leaving him with permanent physical disabilities and unable to use his equipment any more.

The iPad has enabled him to make music once more!
Nice story, have you a link? :)

Offline Cammy

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624254
That's interesting, and old colleague of mine has between completely deaf since birth and using SMS from his mobile phone made life so much easier for him.

Well that's great, good for him!

I still don't have any reason for a phone myself. What would I do with one? I have no job, no friends and no social life, and I'm always at home if anyone needs to chat with me on the internet about Amiga stuff. To me a phone is just a useless and unnecessary fashion accessory that costs money I don't have.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;624242
Nokia E52 here. Love it! Less than 10mm thick and the battery lasts around a week.

Exactly! It really is flat and fast, it even has WLAN and GPS. The camera isnt much good though, for that the N82 was much better. Best phone camera I've ever had.

For half a year now I have been able to swap my E52 for a newer phone. But since I really want to stick with Nokia, there isnt much to choose from currently. They really are 'behind' regarding innovation. For a moment I almost got the Nokia N8 but its too expensive and the Iphone4 is still better device. So I guess I havent got much choice.. Im now waiting for a good deal. When is that Iphone5 out anyway.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline nicholas

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;624261
Nice story, have you a link? :)

It's on the first page of this months letters section mate.

Covert phone photography in WHSmith's at lunch? ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:51 PM »
this poll is missing the best smartphone OS ...Palm/ WebOS :afro:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »
if you don't want a phone you can always use Skype or get a Google Voice number.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »
Land line.
I'm either at work or at home, leave a message. No cell reception from where I live to just short of where I go to work. Makes a cell phone worthless for it's intended use. ie. Emergency situations.
Like when I stuffed my car into a snowbank yesterday on the way to work. I'm digging a-way when a woman rolled up and asked if I needed any hand. I said, "Sure, help get me out of this snowbank and I'll buy you breakfast.", thinking that she would actually help dig the snow from around the car. A few monents later with her hand stuck to her head, she said there was no reception, said sorry and offered to call the sheriff when she got into town. Needless to say, I dug the snow from around the car and drove out within minutes of her leaving the scene.

People are becoming too dependant on technology. Small electronic devices makes for lousy shovels.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;624262
Well that's great, good for him!

I still don't have any reason for a phone myself. What would I do with one? I have no job, no friends and no social life, and I'm always at home if anyone needs to chat with me on the internet about Amiga stuff. To me a phone is just a useless and unnecessary fashion accessory that costs money I don't have.

I actually have no comeback to that... If you ever venture to the UK, we'll have to throw an a.org party... Be good to meet a few more A.orgers :)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
@Cammy

My true respects, nice to see someone has the brains to not buy stuff they just don't need.

As for me, I have a landline and my mobile is an ancient Sony K610i. I bought it years ago, it cost over £200 and was top of the range. As one of the first phones with A2DP it still serves as a great MP3 player (with a 2Gig M2 card to hold my songs). The java on it gives me Opera, a periodic table and a scientific calculator, I need little else. I rarely play games on it as I use my GBA for that and I can watch the odd bit of news, get google maps and train times. I have no reason to upgrade and with a good box of spares, including screens I doubt I will buy a new mobile for a good few years yet. It's outlasted many newer phones my friends have bought due to superior build quality, including Apple iPhones. When I do buy a new one it will be a hardened satellite phone. If it ain't built to last, I don't buy it.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;624259
This kind:

That's a nice phone, bit modern for me but nice anyway.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Ni72ous

• Show only replies by Ni72ous
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 24, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »
I use the most hackable phone available atm, a htc hd2, it came with window mobile 6.5 on it which was ok but have since tried ubuntu, windows phone 7 and android, currently running a desire hd android rom on it, due for upgrade soon but think i will keep this phone and sell the upgrade.
Ni72ous