Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guidance on selling a A4000 and A3000  (Read 1353 times)

Description:

Offline Acill

Re: Guidance on selling a A4000 and A3000
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 03:27:37 AM »
I still stand by them not fetching thousands of dollars. I also have no interest in them and still say that. I will agree on selling the Cyber vision and the 060 cards separate.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline matt3k

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »
From my experience of owning Amigas...

If an Amga 3000 or 4000 has sat unused and not maintained they will have issues.

If the 3000 has had the battery removed before any leakage the will run just fine.  The only other item that really should be taken care of are the PALS.  I have seen them fail, but they are readily available and socketed.  I have 2 3000 that have never failed with no battery damage.  I have seen 50 or so 3000's fail because of battery damage, they will fail and will have to be repaired I will guarantee it.

The 4000 will fail because of the caps and the damage they cause to surrounding areas.

A well maintained and updated Amiga has a lot more value to me since I don't have to monkey with it or send it out to be fixed.  Finding repair talent for the 3000 is a harder job than the 4000 for sure also and should be factored in the purchase.

Offline Acill

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Quote from: matt3k;810338
From my experience of owning Amigas...

If an Amga 3000 or 4000 has sat unused and not maintained they will have issues.

If the 3000 has had the battery removed before any leakage the will run just fine.  The only other item that really should be taken care of are the PALS.  I have seen them fail, but they are readily available and socketed.  I have 2 3000 that have never failed with no battery damage.  I have seen 50 or so 3000's fail because of battery damage, they will fail and will have to be repaired I will guarantee it.

The 4000 will fail because of the caps and the damage they cause to surrounding areas.

A well maintained and updated Amiga has a lot more value to me since I don't have to monkey with it or send it out to be fixed.  Finding repair talent for the 3000 is a harder job than the 4000 for sure also and should be factored in the purchase.

I couldn't agree more! I am working on a 3000 currently that sat a long time.  It's been hours and hours of tedious work finding g bad spots and fixing them. I charge way less than I should,  but I do it for the community and make no promises that I can get them 100% when in this state. The 4000 I am working g on also has some damage from leaking caps and battery. Currently it's working but I need to replace some chips to restore AGA modes in workbench. Also a tedious job. Had I charged the rates a full time repair shop would on these it would be several hundred easily. I'm at under $145 on them.

Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline ToddH

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
I say try to sell it to someone that will use it and not hoard it or sell it to turn a profit. There are lots of us out there who have been looking for a reasonably priced 3000/4000 for years.

Offline midway

• Show only replies by midway
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 02:24:50 AM »
Post some pics from the inside ! And yes, remove the batteries asap, the 3000 is more likely to die from leaking batteries than the 4000.
 Also, knowing whether they work or not makes quiet a difference when selling. The peeps stating it worked 10 years ago before they put it in storage always let me think, they are goners....

Offline MarkMaker2Topic starter

• Show only replies by MarkMaker2
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
Thank you for all the responses.

Part of the reason for the post was just to get myself moving forward on this project otherwise the computers would just sit there for another year or two.

I likely won't get a chance to open them and check out the inside or test them out until Monday but I'll update then. Monday I'll take everything and lay it out. Photograph it, test it, etc.

I was unaware of the battery issue so they were never removed. If they leaked they already leaked. I don't see waiting a few more days will make a difference now. Hopefully they didn't.

I say try to sell it to someone that will use it and not hoard it or sell it to turn a profit. There are lots of us out there who have been looking for a reasonably priced 3000/4000 for years.

This is pretty much my position. I want a fair price but I'm also interested in them going to a good home. These were a big part of my adolescence and I was a big Amiga advocate so I want them to go to someone like myself but who has the time to use and enjoy them.

Dealing with my GF's father's stuff after he passed we gave a lot of semi-valuable items to what we thought were good homes and some of the stuff went on to be used and loved by the people we gave it to and other stuff ended up on e-bay being sold for a profit -- that was quite annoying so I'd like to avoid it.

The US shipping is not a big deal as my business ships stuff out of the United States twice a week so there would be no customs issues. That said if I could avoid shipping altogether that would be a bonus as it removes a risk of damage from the equation. I should have started this earlier as June involved a decent amount of traveling and possibly could have worked out for personal delivery.

Offline Acill

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »
I can hear you on wanting it to go to a good home and not resold. Sadly a lof of great Amiga stuff gets that way. Ebay will net the most money usually though if you test and photograph it all well.

As far as someone getting it that deserves and will enjoy it, I think they best way is to talk to them on the phone before hand if you plan to let it go for a lower price than you see on ebay, just look at items sold and not listed.

I sold a few things and gave a lot away recently. Thats the way I did it. None of it made me much of a profit unless you count that going into other projects or money going to get things to fix other amiga systems for others.

Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000

Offline beska

• Show only replies by beska
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 05:17:13 PM »
I'd be interested in the A3000. I'm also located in Canada so shipping wouldn't be a problem.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 09:07:16 PM »
Thats really nice about it being your Dad's amigas. Im sure if they sell to someone on here they will be used and loved for years to come!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 01:11:21 AM »
Quote from: beska;810439
I'd be interested in the A3000. I'm also located in Canada so shipping wouldn't be a problem.

I'll let you know once I see it they boot and stuff

Quote from: magnetic;810442
Thats really nice about it being your Dad's amigas. Im sure if they sell to someone on here they will be used and loved for years to come!

You misunderstood. The Amigas were mine. My GF's dad passed away a few years back and he had a bunch of stuff (mostly collector aviation / AVRO Arrow stuff) that we gave away to another person that was into planes who we thought would cherish it. Some of it was limited edition collector stuff with identifying numbers and we later saw those items on e-bay for sale.

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 02:16:39 AM »
Quote from: MarkMaker2;810445
I'll let you know once I see it they boot and stuff

You misunderstood. The Amigas were mine. My GF's dad passed away a few years back and he had a bunch of stuff (mostly collector aviation / AVRO Arrow stuff) that we gave away to another person that was into planes who we thought would cherish it. Some of it was limited edition collector stuff with identifying numbers and we later saw those items on e-bay for sale.

Many people from outside of Canada will not be familiar with the Avro Arrow, but (depending on what it was) could be FAR more valuable than an Amiga 4000, even tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, so I understand why your "gun shy".

Offline Acill

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
Quote from: spaceman88;810446
Many people from outside of Canada will not be familiar with the Avro Arrow, but (depending on what it was) could be FAR more valuable than an Amiga 4000, even tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, so I understand why your "gun shy".

The Avro Arrow was such a fantastic fighter! I hear they are pitching it again as an alternative to the F-35? It would be amazing to see it get put into production at last.

Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000

Offline zipper

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 05:06:25 PM »
60 years old design - no way...

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 09:14:20 PM »
Quote from: Acill;810455
The Avro Arrow was such a fantastic fighter! I hear they are pitching it again as an alternative to the F-35? It would be amazing to see it get put into production at last.

There was some talk of an updated version about 4 years ago but I think it would have to be a complete fresh start with the amount of time that has past. Sort of like someone today using a 25 year old computer....oh wait, never mind :-).

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »
Ah I see sorry about that! Well sorry for your loss..

How much are you selling the 4000 for?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 09, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;810489
Ah I see sorry about that! Well sorry for your loss..

How much are you selling the 4000 for?

I don't know yet. The process keeps getting interrupted by other obligations.

UPDATE

Finally got them hooked up.

3000 boots to he ROM 2.0 screen

4000 power supply fan spins but screen is black

Can't see any obvious acid burn from leaked batteries but also no idea where to look.

The 4000 has a SCSI card Spitfire DKB + A2065 Ethernet Card + a video card that I can't identify yet but remember it was a Cybervision 64. It is also a 060 but not sure what card -- fairly sure it was made by the same people who made the Cybervision 64.

The 3000 also has a A2065 Ethernet card as well as a Phonepak card. It is an 040 but the conversion was a custom mod and it also has the 030 chip