Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTB: Amiga 500 Keyboard  (Read 337 times)

Description:

Offline Guru_Meditation_ErrorTopic starter

• Show only replies by Guru_Meditation_Error
WTB: Amiga 500 Keyboard
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:06:11 AM »
Are there any Amiga fanatics in the U.S. that would part with a minimally crusty/fadey Amiga 500 keyboard? ;)

If so, PM me with a price.

Much thanks in advance ,

-GME
"It\'s not a BUG, it\'s a FEATURE."

Offline AmigaBruno

Re: WTB: Amiga 500 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »
What exactly do you mean by a keyboard? If you mean a replacement keyboard to type on, then replacement keyboards are available from http://www.amigakit.com as well as on eBay. As for an A500 itself, that's another matter entirely. However, people are selling Amiga A500s on eBay. These may not be us spec, though. You could also try the Amiga Lounge, which I think is http://www.theamigalounge.com

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:24 AM »
Thanks, I am looking for an Amiga 500 Keyboard.;) The black base component with connector and full set of keys. I have the rest of the A500 I have been putting together with spare parts.

This forum is here so that members can alert other members to Amiga items they've seen on eBay (or other auctions).
You missed this part of the description for Marketplace:

Likewise, if you're selling Amiga items sans eBay, this is the "for sale" forum.
There are other posts here similar to mine, right? People seeking items and components.

If my post is placed in the wrong place I would respectfully request a mod to move it to the proper location.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:34:47 AM »
LOL at that guy's response.  AmigaKit doesn't have replacement A500 keyboards.  They haven't in god only knows how long.  At least not listed on their website.  :p

A quick ebay search for "Amiga 500 keyboard" yields dozens of results, in varying shades of yellow, unfortunately they're all in the UK at this time.  You could of course buy a complete A500 that's otherwise broken and just salvage the keyboard from it, but unless you find someone dumping one on craigslist or some similar site, you'd likely pay more for a complete system (even broken) than you would just a keyboard.

There's always Amibay, couldn't hurt to post there in their "wanted" section.  I've had some good successes on there in the past, but unfortunately most of the members there are in Europe, as well.

If you're able to find the folks that were selling stuff at Amiga30 in Cali, there was a guy there with a box full of A500's in various states of disrepair, going for $50 each.  I don't know who that seller was or how to contact him, unfortunately.

Of course your last option would be some kind of A500-to-PS/2 keyboard adapter and try to hack that to fit inside your case... but yeah.  Please don't do that.  :p

Good luck with your search, they come up fairly often in the US, unless you're impatient you should be able to find a good one here in the US, in a few weeks or so!  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike. For a moment I thought I was taking crazy pills. I'm going to snoop Ebay a bit more, then SearchTempest.

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 05:48:02 PM »
Quote from: Guru_Meditation_Error;793599
Are there any Amiga fanatics in the U.S. that would part with a minimally crusty/fadey Amiga 500 keyboard? ;)

If so, PM me with a price.

Much thanks in advance ,

-GME

I have one, I can likely test it before shipping since it was obtained when Liage was selling 'big box of commodore stuff' way back and I kept it since you never know what you or someone else might need. PM me if you still need it.  I do have a photo of it on my Commodore-A-Day channel on Blackberry Messenger that I may be able to pull to send to you. But I don't recall it being too crusty or faded, and it certainly has not been used in a long long time

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
-edit-  

Nevermind!   :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 01:26:58 AM by save2600 »

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
The important question is what's the difference between an A500 keyboard and an A1200 keyboard? How are they incompatible? Is the A1200 keyboard somehow 32 bit while the A500 keyboard is only 16 bit? Is the connector different and can't be adapted? How would it be better to try and fit a PC keyboard to an A500?

As you ponder that, I'll be writing a short Japanese quiz in AmigaBASIC on my A1200. The words and phrases will be taken from a book I can't memorise, so this should help me, although it can't pronounce Japanese. Some of you may be thinking "I haven't used AmigaBASIC for YEARS!", but in some cases that may also be the last time you programmed anything.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 05:55:24 PM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;793707
The important question is what's the difference between an A500 keyboard and an A1200 keyboard? How are they incompatible? Is the A1200 keyboard somehow 32 bit while the A500 keyboard is only 16 bit? Is the connector different and can't be adapted? How would it be better to try and fit a PC keyboard to an A500?

@AmigaBruno - Aaaaah!  *throws hands up in frustration*  Please research these topics before posting blind.

The Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200 keyboard connectors are completely different.  While it might be possible to make or buy an adapter, the cost of this would exceed the cost of a replacement keyboard by several-fold.

A500:

A1200:

Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline AmigaBruno

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 05:52:34 PM »
I've just seen this one, so I immediately thought of you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-A500-UK-Keyboard-/361334561745?hash=item542137dbd1

Offline paul1981

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 11:13:43 PM »
Quote from: AmigaBruno;793707

As you ponder that, I'll be writing a short Japanese quiz in AmigaBASIC on my A1200. The words and phrases will be taken from a book I can't memorise, so this should help me, although it can't pronounce Japanese. Some of you may be thinking "I haven't used AmigaBASIC for YEARS!", but in some cases that may also be the last time you programmed anything.

Being as though you mentioned AmigaBasic, incase you aren't already aware it doesn't play well on typical Amiga setups;

http://www.amigacoding.com/index.php/AmigaBASIC_bugs