Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Haynie's Garage Sale  (Read 37746 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show all replies
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Haynie's Garage Sale
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
Quote from: billt;662591
I understand some reasons that PowerPC is no longer ideal for a desktop or other personal computer general purpose machine, such as the price we'll pay for such unique and small market boards.

But I'd like to know some reasons why it is technically insufficient.
I think the biggest problem with PPC right now is the lack of support. IBM doesn't really give a damn about desktops anymore, most PPC licensees are interested solely in the embedded market, and even P.A. Semiconductor is no longer doing active development on it (thank you so ******* much, Apple.) Everybody's infatuated with ARM at the moment.

I've not yet got to them in my Masters program, to have a really good understanding of what is good about x86 (and maybe ARM now too) that is lacking in PowerPC
There is nothing good about x86. It's ugly under the hood and the only reason it's got all the horsepower right now is because the entire might of the PC industry is behind it, covering the R&D costs.

PowerPC is now multicore like x86.
PowerPC's been multicore since the 970MP (G5) in 2005, almost as long as x86 has.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup