Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Genuine originals or fake originals???  (Read 7471 times)

Description:

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show all replies
Genuine originals or fake originals???
« on: April 01, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
This seller on eBay offers a variety of Amiga and C64 stuff.  Take a close look at the rare C64 disks that he sells.  He seems to have an endless supply of some rare titles.  No original disk sleeves??  You be the judge: Genuine or Fake?

http://shop.ebay.com/basicwayne/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

• Show all replies
Re: Genuine originals or fake originals???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:17 PM »
Quote from: Speelgoedmannetje;626679
I don't think they're fake nor do I think they're that rare. I mean, Little Computer People and M.U.L.E. are well-known games, and the C64 was pretty successful.
Unless you meant the fake part is calling it rare...

Not super-rare, I agree.  Where would one get dozens of these disks without their original sleeves, instructions, etc?   (He's sold a ton of them over the last year or so.)

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 12:15:24 AM »
Quote from: save2600;626691
I voted genuine at first, because I figured why would someone go out of their way to supply licensed JiffyDOS chips and then chinse out on the floppies? But then looking at the label on Wizard of Wor... looks like that could have easily been printed out on one of those Avery address labels. Seems to have that matte finish. Selling multiple copies of the same stuff is kinda strange, but who knows. This guy may just be a hoarder like 90% of us. Keep in mind too, MOST people back in the day did not keep their boxes. Lucky to find original manuals anymore either. Seems they too often get separated from their disks. Life happens and then some dudes girlfriend or mother comes across 'em and they end up getting tossed.

BTW: M.U.L.E. looks authentic as its label has that actiplaque shit going on. You know... where it looks like a greasy fat fingered clumsy thumbed bastard handled it way too many times.   :laughing:

Actiplaque -- I think I know what you mean!  But wouldn't a scanned/reprinted copy of such a soiled label look the same?  What I don't really understand is all the white sleeves (all these Commodore disks came with Commodore-branded sleeves), but maybe he put those there on purpose so that he could continue to use the same auction image over and over without the buyer expecting always to get the original sleeve with the disk.  Suppose that would make good sense for a seller on eBay.

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:33:10 AM »
Wow, I took a closer look at the Wizard of Wor disk.  I'll bet my life that it's a fake.

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
@Plaz

I've seen used (but complete with packaging) M.U.L.E sell for over $50 on eBay.  Your guess is as good as mine for the value of a sealed one.  Very nice!

• Show all replies
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:33:23 AM »
If you voted "genuine," it's time to note that he is still going strong with dozens of the same disks with the questionable labels and white sleeves.  Give it another full month to see how many more such disks he has?

• Show all replies

• Show all replies
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 01:17:23 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;647251
What difference does it make? If you think they're copies, don't buy them!

Is that what you say about all counterfeiters and bootleggers?

• Show all replies
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
And he's still selling all the same software every week.  It has been years now.  He has also sold dozens of this bootleg cartridge.  Apparently this counterfeiting business is a good one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300660406628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• Show all replies
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
The HESMON cart is a counterfeit.  I know, because I own a real one with a real label and a real manual.  It appears that he simply uses a color printer and Avery-type labels.  How anyone would be duped into believing that this stuff is genuine? (see poll)

• Show all replies
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:22:12 AM »
Quote from: motrucker;680303
This really bothers you, doesn't it. You know there are some issues that are actually worth getting worked up about?

You're 2nd behind me on the number of posts in this thread.  At least I wasn't duped.