Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4.1, How to get on the internet!  (Read 3831 times)

Description:

Offline sheepzTopic starter

OS4.1, How to get on the internet!
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
Hi All,

I am in the lucky postion of aquireing a A1200 with a BlizzerdPPC with BVison and a midiator card with a Voodoo 5 and Network card.

Basicaly never yoused an amiga of over 10 yars and would like to get back into computing, So have installed 4.1 so far so good but I am stuggling to get anything to work. My main aim is to get on the net so I got a http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=63

Any help getting my online would be great, I followed the instructions but know joy, I have a bad feeling its not compatiable with 4.1

Barry!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:18:46 PM by sheepz »
Aberdeen Scotland

A1260 - TF1260
A4000 - A3660, Freeway pro USB, Big ram and ZZ9000

Offline number6

Re: OS4.1, How to get on the internet!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »
Quote from: sheepz;647011
Hi All,

I am in the lucky postion of aquireing a A1200 with a BlizzerdPPC with BVison and a midiator card with a Voodoo 5 and Network card.

Basicaly never yoused an amiga of over 10 yars and would like to get back into computing, So have installed 4.1 so far so good but I am stuggling to get anything to work. My main aim is to get on the next so I got a http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=63

Any help getting my online would be great,

Barry!

Although HammerD may respond here, all customers for Hyperion products are encouraged to join the new support forums.
forum for Classic Amiga specific support issues

You'll have to register your product 1st with Hyperion, if you have not already done so.
as mentioned here

Offline Etho

• Show only replies by Etho
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »
Is that card supported by OS4, it only mentions OS3 on the product page

EDIT:

if you take a  look at the customer review on Amigakit, it states that the card is not compatible with OS4

Looks like this is your only option:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=1041
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:28:25 PM by Etho »

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »
@sheepz

Good.  Some others have already replied.  Please take Number6's advice and join the support forum.

Edit...
The card suggested by Etho has the Realtek RTL 8029AS chipset and is compatible with the rtl8029.device driver supplied with AmigaOS4.1.

Also see my next post.

I have never used Easynet or the Classic version of AmigaOS 4.1 so I can only advise in generic terms.

AmigaOS4.1 uses Roadshow TCP/IP stack.

Easynet is compatible with the earlier TCP/IP stacks used with Amiga Classic.  Not sure if Easynet is compatible with Roadshow.

In theory...

Assuming that Easynet is compatible with Roadshow, you could try the following alternatives to get it working with OS4.

#1 If the network chip on the Easynet card is already supported by one of the existing device drivers supplied with OS4, it may be possible to use the OS4 Internet preferences program to setup a connection.

#2 Another alternative is to copy the network card device driver from the Easynet CD to the Devs/Networks directory on your AmigaOS4.1 system, and use the OS4 Internet preferences program to do the configuration.

#3 Another alternative is to install the Easynet software product on your system and use the Easynet configuration tools to setup the internet connection.  This assumes that all the programs and device drivers are compatible with OS4.  This would probably be the easiest solution if everything is compatible with OS4 and Roadshow.

---
redfox
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:10:11 PM by redfox »

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »
@sheepz

The review shown at the amigakit website ...

Quote:
Works nicely with my Mediator1200SX under OS3.9. Just remember that it requires a Voodoo 3 PCI card installed in your Mediator as well to function as it requires a small amount of the graphics cards memory to function as the card only works in DMA mode. This should not be a problem as most Mediator owners perched them to add Voodoo 3 graphics cards anyway.

WARNING: This card card will not function under OS4 as the DMA PCI memory driver hack required to make this card work is not supported by OS4.
End of quote.

I do not see this card in the compatibility list for AmigaOS 4.1, so I do not know if the DMA issue has been solved.

I also forgot to mention that OS4 attempts to startup the network connection in the S:Startup-Sequence file.

This might be too early if anything else has to be loaded to make the Easynet system happy.

You might have to comment out the "AddNetInterface" command in the Startup-Sequence and add appropriate commands to your User-Startup file.

---
redfox