Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Air Mail Parcel taking 2 months to Japan from US ?  (Read 2197 times)

Description:

Offline OSS542Topic starter

• Show only replies by OSS542
Air Mail Parcel taking 2 months to Japan from US ?
« on: October 14, 2003, 01:41:12 AM »
The thread on centsible which was so active the last couple of days has gone off somewhere else, and I thought in all fairness that people following that discussion should see this in an equally prominent place, so I started a new thread.

I finally received the A3000 mother board I won on Ebay from Centsible in the mail this morning at my office.  According to the US postal service label, it was sent Aug 19.  It was marked to be sent via Air. I can't imagine Air Mail taking that long.   I should note that I originally paid for this item right after the auction, about the middle of June.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
Re: Air Mail Parcel taking 2 months to Japan from US ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 04:05:54 AM »
You mean this topic:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4540

That's odd. I sold my mint first edition AD&D books a couple of years ago on ebay to some guy in Hong Kong. I sent them regular post. It took alittle over a month. One week from Northern NY to SanFrancisco,CA then a month on a boat. I would assume Airmail would be much faster.

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 04:48:21 AM »
You never really know with the USPS.  It's possible that the Air Mail stickers weren't noticed, or the package was improperly stickered, it's also possible that it was marked, but not paid for, it's also just as possible that Japanese or US Customs held it up for awhile due to incomplete/improper documentation, or just because they wanted to.

One of my many positions at the unnamed computer engineering firm I worked for was heading their shipping dept. for a little over a year.

I don't think I ever managed to get anything to Japan or China in under 30 days regardless of how I sent it if it went out via the USPS.
Professional Expatriate

Offline Damion

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 04:56:56 AM »
Agreed, I've had some packages arrive in about
a week, whilst on rare occasions others would
show up battered and ripped 2+ months later.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 05:03:44 AM »
Heck I ship everything Express Mail Service (EMS) to Japan. It's only ~$10 more than Parcel Post Air usually and goes pretty fast.

I have sold quite a few A500s and C64s to Japan :-o
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline OSS542Topic starter

• Show only replies by OSS542
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 05:18:44 AM »
@Argo: You are correct.  Airmail from the US to Japan normally takes 5 to 7 days.  I have no idea why this took 2 months.  I've never seen anything like it.  There is no marking on the box to suggest what happened.

Offline Bodie_CI5

• Show only replies by Bodie_CI5
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 05:30:23 AM »

OSS542 wrote:
@Argo: You are correct.  Airmail from the US to Japan normally takes 5 to 7 days.  I have no idea why this took 2 months.  I've never seen anything like it.  There is no marking on the box to suggest what happened.

LOL well... count your blessings that it came in... even if somewhat belatedly. :-?
Recovering WoW addict.

And, I\'ve relapsed, LOL.

Hmm, might be canceling again. LOL

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 06:18:17 AM »
Stuff like this happens every now again, especially with the USPS.

Just be glad it showed up and you didn't have to file a claim for it.   :-)
Professional Expatriate

Offline Argo

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 07:08:54 AM »
Well, at least you have it. Be glad for that.

Offline Argo

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 07:11:09 AM »
Hey, It could have been CanadaPost. I've heard horror stories about them. I never ship anything to Canada via the USPS as it wil just get handed over to CanadaPost.

Offline aardvark

• Show only replies by aardvark
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 07:34:41 AM »
I don't have any particular problem about Canada Post or US Post, but I have a hatfull of horror stories about UPS and the extortionist charges they have for brokerage.  An item I won on ebay for $.01 cost me Over $50.00 Canadian for brokerage charges from UPS.  Of course it didn't help that the idiot that sent it insured it for $100 (which I had to pay for un my shipping charges).  So UPS valued it at ~$150 Canadian on which a sales tax of about $10.50 would be due, if in fact it was worth that much.  The other $39 or so was their brokerage charges.  Canada Post would have charged $5 flat rate and wouldn't even have charged that had it come in at the correct value.  I have lots of other horror stories about UPS that I could repeat at my leisure, but what really gags me is that after I specifically request USPS from Centsible, Software Hut and others is that they _still_ send it UPS :-x

Offline aardvark

• Show only replies by aardvark
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 07:36:43 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention that out of $1.00 postage, $.15 is for transportation and $.85 is for storage. :-D