Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for SMD rework station, suggestions?  (Read 4588 times)

Description:

Offline Castellen

Re: Looking for SMD rework station, suggestions?
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:15:54 AM »
If you don't want to spend a lot, look out for one of the Hakko 850 rip-offs.  There are loads of them coming out of China under various "brands".  e.g. Lukey 850
I've been using one of these for several years now without any problems, and it does get a lot of use.  Be aware that the quality will probably vary a lot between units, I suspect I was lucky with mine.

Offline Castellen

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:05:26 PM »
Looks like it comes with the standard array of nozzels.  I use the equivalent of the 6mm diameter one for all my SMD work, never bother changing it.

With the soldering iron tips, since it's obviously a Hakko knock-off, it hopefully fits the good quality Hakko tips.
For most work, I use the K tip, Hakko part number 900M-T-K
It suits a wide variety of work as you can use the tip from different angles depending on the heat conduction area you need.  For example, use the wide side of the tip for soldering a heavy power cable, or use the pointy tip for small SMD stuff.  I've been using these tips on nearly a daily basis for the last 15 years after a recommendation from a Hakko sales rep.

For very fine pitch stuff, I use the 1mm needle tip, Hakko part number 900M-T-1C
I think they also do a 0.5mm tip, but unless you're working on SMD stuff smaller than 0402, it's probably not much use.
Fine tips are not good for many jobs as you can't get heat conduction to the end of the tip fast enough for anything with much thermal mass.  So you have no hope of using desoldering wick with it for example.

Hope that helps.

Offline Castellen

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »
Ouch, that looks a bit messed up.

The seller may well be local, so they probably have a contact in China who supplies the units and sends them direct to the buyer.  I often see that kind of thing here in NZ.

Best of luck in getting in contact with them, at the very least they should offer you a refund.  :pissed: