Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Good News Is Here (OS 4.1&SAM440 amigakit.com)  (Read 16977 times)

Description:

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
Re: Good News Is Here
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »
countzero wrote:
>Hmm I really wonder how this will compare to Efika with Morphos 2.0 :)

It's better. It's AmigaOS.

ferrellsl wrote but many others have also mentioned:
>Unless Acube and Hyperion can come up with some kind of discount/bundle then OS4 on the SAM will remain out of reach of most Amiga enthusiasts.

Oh, good grief. It's a new system. It'll come down in price. ACube just had a sell of other PPC boards, so these new boards will be no different in time. The same thing was said about the AmigaOne when it was released, but people bought nevertheless.

ferrellsl wrote:
>At that price I can easily get a COMPLETE x86 system WITH a decent LCD monitor.
Yea, well, I've had my fill of x86 and Windows. The SAM is also less expensive than the original A4000, so it's not *that* bad.
AmigaOS enthusiast since 1993.

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »
amigadave wrote:
>If we gained just 10 new developers for the AmigaOS community, it would be a good success.

So grab a C/C++ book and start coding. Then there's only 9 more needed.  :-)  Even small programs and games would be beneficial.

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »
amigadave wrote:
>I would, but I have already spent my little bit of money on the EFIKA and I am supporting the MorphOS group by registering MOS2.1 and will be learning to code for that platform.

Excellent. Glad to hear others are starting to code.

>In other words, a few weeks ago I decided to put my money and time where my mouth was and picked MorphOS as my future Amiga-Like OS of choice to buy and code for. I did not want to be a hypocrite anymore, by telling everyone to support our developers and not doing it myself.

Yeah, I decided the same thing two or three months ago. Both systems need software. The only challenge will be creating code for both, yet some tools to do so are already available. To me the Amiga community was composed of people making small, entertaining, and addicting games and applications along with demos. It needs to happen again, now.

As users begin creating content and programs, even the small stuff, machine designers and makers will be more motivated to improve their systems and even lower prices to compete with other systems. The designers take the risk to manufacture, but the users also have to take a risk in purchasing and even taking the time to code and create content.

And when you make your own content, be your own promoter. Have your friends or family come over and play the game or see what you've created. Get their opinions, then modify your program. As you promote your own work, you can also promote the machine or an emulator that runs it.

Also, don't be ashamed of your work either. Some in my family enjoy drawing and painting, and they (as all other types of artists do) often do not think their work is worth showing. Someone probably isn't going to like it, that's true, but you still need to be proud of what you do...even with a game. People will tell you what they think needs modified or added, but you make the final choice in what you will change or add to your "artwork."

Creating content is an artform like painting, drawing, architecture, building, landscaping, gardening, car restoration, woodworking, metalworking, sculpting, writing, etc. It all depends on what art supplies we want to use for our individual project.

>I might be persuaded to support AmigaOS4.x in the future as well as MorphOS2.1 and beyond, but for now, the SAM is too expensive for me and as I am just learning more about programming, I will stick with just MorphOS.

Starting with one system is a good idea. I'm sure there are other programmers that would help you port, test, or code for AmigaOS when the time comes. As the saying goes, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." The community needs more to take that first step.

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
Re: Good News Is Here (OS 4.1&SAM440 amigakit.com)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 11:35:52 PM »
I've seen on a video that a PPC Mac Mini will run OS4. Any other old Mac PowerPC systems that are known to run OS4 (and now 4.1) or ought to run it?

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:26:51 PM »
@number6

Thanks for the link.

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »
@Gebrochen

I'm not too sure about the pci card idea as I am not a electronics guru, but I would think it's possible.

Amiga has 3D abilities with TinyGL. It doesn't have the full feature set like DirectX, but some games have been created with it, so TinyGL is an option.

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 10:00:40 PM »
persia wrote:
>TinyGL?  Surely OS4.1 could support the whole OpenGL library?

I would think the capability is there. Whether it's entirely there is another matter. Nevertheless, TinyGL has enough to make some games and graphic software until the entire OpenGL library would be available.

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 05:35:31 PM »
dammy wrote:
>Interesting comment about OS4 development. I'm still hazy on how Amiga Inc and Eyetech are involved in this project.

Maybe it is somehow related to the aftermath regarding the dismissal of the case Amiga/Hyperion case.

Offline DavidF215

• Show all replies
    • Cross Timbers Haven
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 06:09:44 PM »
@dammy

Guess I misread the information.