Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is this person SERIOUS???  (Read 1665 times)

Description:

Offline ZeBeeDeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Is this person SERIOUS???
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
Re: Is this person SERIOUS???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »
What's with all the recent threads regarding people freaking out about other people asking "large" amounts of money for Amiga gear? If you don't like the price, don't bid...

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
I guessing, though cant check as ebay blocked in work, that its probably his item, and its his way of drumming up interest.

Could be way off beam though, if I am I apologise in advance
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:41:20 PM »
yes, he is serious.
live with it.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »
I wonder what people are going to say when I release the Minimig case! I am a bit worried now. :-D

Offline tone007

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
At least it's not a "RARE OMG LOL RARE!" auction.

I think the Best Offer option is key, I imagine he'd take a fair amount less than the Buy it now price, but it can't hurt to try.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline ffastback

• Show only replies by ffastback
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 03:13:15 PM »

ZeBeeDee wrote:
Is this person SERIOUS???
Here

I think most Amigans don't like giving up their equipment.  As such when the wife complains that it finally has to go, or their own conscious says "man, what am I keeping this darn thing for, its 2008 and I hardly (or never) use it anymore!" some people purposely throw the item online with a premium for the exact reason that this guy says in his auction:

"This was my pride and joy!"

To you its an overpriced Amiga 1500.  To him it represents something more than what it is physically.  And if it dosen't sell a lot of guys can at least tell their wives, "well I DID try to auction it off!".  

Since ebay auctions cost money this shows how much some Amiga hardware sellers really are only willing to let it go for a large premium.  If it dosen't sell at that price they are asking they actually lose money on placing the auction in the first place.

This happens in the classic car hobby a lot.  To the point where I have seen the same cars at shows year after year with semi-permanent 4/S (For Sale) stickers in the window.  Those are the guys whose cars are forever "For Sale" yet priced where almost no one would ever by them.  The "sellers" probably know they will likely never get the money they are asking and its often quite fine with them if they never get it.  And if they do then they got a huge worthwhile premium.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 03:52:48 PM »

TheDaddy wrote:
I wonder what people are going to say when I release the Minimig case! I am a bit worried now. :-D

I am worried for you too, as I don't know how many cases you are going to be able to sell and it seems that you have been spending quite a bit of money on the prototypes (two of them now?) and the final price is not going to be cheap.

What you have going in your favor, is that work continues to improve the MiniMig's functionality, so the popularity of the MiniMig may even increase over time as it works with an ever increasing amount of old Amiga software.

Against you is the prospect of the NatAmi project taking away some potential buyers of MiniMig pcb's and the current run of Georg Braun's A1000 replacement motherboard project that might be taking just a few buyers away from the MiniMig as well.  Of course addicts like me will want all three project boards, but I have plans to make my own case for my MiniMig.  It probably won't be as pretty as your design, but will have a joystick on top and I may investigate the possibility of how much power a MiniMig uses to see if it can by run by battery power and put the required batteries below the MiniMig pcb.

It will be a large joystick base, but it will be stable!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

As for all these threads about pricing of old Amiga equipment, I agree, get over it and realize that the old stuff is worth more to some than it is to others and that the Amiga is becoming more scarce, not rare yet, but because it is different than what the majority of the world uses, it also has some appeal as a novelty item to those who have never used one before and want to see what all the fuss is about.  Those buyers sometimes have more money than brains and drive up the prices of some Amiga items.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline TheDaddy

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 04:18:34 PM »
>>I am worried for you too, as I don't know how many cases you are going to be able to sell and it seems that you have been spending quite a bit of money on the prototypes (two of them now?) and the final price is not going to be cheap.

I am slightly worried. I have spent a lot of money and time. Hopefully I'll get rewarded for all this. The development of my next projects(case for the natami, efika, aclone and A1200 replacement case) are all based on the success of the Minimig. The sketches for those projects are already with the engineers and the CAD guys.

For the Minimig case I will need a minimum of 50 orders to start production.

>>What you have going in your favor, is that work continues to improve the MiniMig's functionality, so the popularity of the MiniMig may even increase over time as it works with an ever increasing amount of old Amiga software.

This is true and having a replacement for the A500 is always a good point as the original Commodore machines are getting older and older. But I also want to kickstart other project as said above.

>>Against you is the prospect of the NatAmi project taking away some potential buyers of MiniMig pcb's and the current run of Georg Braun's A1000 replacement motherboard project that might be taking just a few buyers away from the MiniMig as well.

I am not too worried about that, at the moment I am serving the actual Minimig community, a few people want and need a case and I have designed a modern looking enclosure which hopefully protects the Minimig well. The response on having the Minimig name printed on it (which is quite expensive...300 euros circa for the prototype only) has been good. Some people have asked if it's going to cost more than 100 euros and I can confirm that is going to be less than that, that's for sure.

>>Of course addicts like me will want all three project boards

Hopefully you'll get one of my cases for your Minimig :-), as long as your Minimig board is the same size as the ones sold by ACube then it should fit.  

>>As for all these threads about pricing of old Amiga equipment, I agree, get over it

Also from a developer/producer point of view like me, take into account the size of the task, the money and time involved and then you realise how difficult it is.  :-)

Offline ZeBeeDeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
@ffastback
Good point(s) :-)

@JJ
Apology accepted :-)

To all those saying "yes he is serious" etc blah blah ... YOU buy it then  lol

Oh and no, it's not mine ... I have a towered A1200  :-P
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline JKD

• Show only replies by JKD
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 06:15:45 AM »
Serious or not I always thought the Checkmate 'A1500'  A500 conversion kit was way cooler ;)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 08:26:36 AM »

TheDaddy wrote:
For the Minimig case I will need a minimum of 50 orders to start production.

Do you have that many orders, or people that have shown an interest in getting the case?

Hopefully you'll get one of my cases for your Minimig :-), as long as your Minimig board is the same size as the ones sold by ACube then it should fit.

No, I will be making my own case as I described before.

Also from a developer/producer point of view like me, take into account the size of the task, the money and time involved and then you realise how difficult it is.  :-)

Buyers don't care how difficult it is for developers, or how much money you have spent on prototypes and other production costs.  They only want to justify that what you are offering is worth the money they are going to spend.  And as we all know, too many Amiga users want everything for free, or very cheaply.  (me included since my income has been reduced by over 67% in the last year).

Again, good luck with your project, I hope you find the needed number of buyers.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline TheDaddy

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
@amigadave

>>No, I will be making my own case as I described before.

Ok, no problem.

>>Buyers don't care how difficult it is for developers, or how much money you have spent on prototypes and other production costs.

I have had a lot of positive feedback and support on other fora as well as this one. Many say they will buy it once they can see it. At the end of the day, it's all down to decide if you want to protect your Minimig properly or just be happy as it is on the desk. I know of people who say that because there is no proper case available they feel reluctant using/playing with it.

>>And as we all know, too many Amiga users want everything for free, or very cheaply. (me included since my income has been reduced by over 67% in the last year).

I know, it all depends on how much you really want something, if you need it etc...sorry to hear about your salary.

>>Again, good luck with your project, I hope you find the needed number of buyers.