Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow... This guy is proud of his A4000T  (Read 5099 times)

Description:

Offline chiark

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
Re: Wow... This guy is proud of his A4000T
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 10:31:19 AM »
*IF* I had the money, I'd buy that in the blink of an eye.  Unfortunately, I don't.

As for price, well, I'd say that it's about right given the levels that PPC accelerators are going for...  

Sure it's a lot of money for an old computer, but it is without doubt the best specified Amiga going and if I were putting together my dream specification Amiga, that'd be it.

Well, apart from I'd hack it into a 3000 desktop case :D (yes, I know it won't fit, but I like my Amigas to look like Amigas)
Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »
WOW. Very Nice system and someone will pay it...
I would if i had no wife, kids and home....  :-D
But seriously i can't remember the last NOS A4000T with specs like that, that popped up anywhere let alone eBay... Oh well i wish i can win lotto tomorrow.  :-D
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 11:06:57 AM »

Braddo wrote:

Caius wrote:
Are you saying an unopened A4000T is worth more than a maxed out one like this is?

Yes, of course it is.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Funniest nonsense I heard this week :lol:
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »
What would a 30+ yo, single, (arguably virginal) Amiga nerd who has a spare $4000 most like?

1) A Mint condition Amiga Technologies A4000T
2) A mail order Thai bride from http://www.buyawife.com

Tough choice.

Offline Caius

• Show only replies by Caius
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »

alexh wrote:
What would a 30+ yo, single, (arguably virginal) Amiga nerd who has a spare $4000 most like?

1) A Mint condition Amiga Technologies A4000T
2) A mail order Thai bride from http://www.buyawife.com

Do they come with an inflator?
Theology is just a debate over who to frame for creating reality.

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 12:10:03 PM »
That is a very VERY nice setup though.

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 01:25:01 PM »

dannyp1 wrote:
Yeah, I bet it sells too.  Everything else he has been listing has been selling.  This looks like an awesome unit.  I wonder what everything in this tower sold for when he bought it new?  At $4000 he is probably still taking a loss.

If a used AmigaOne board can sell for $2300 I have no doubt a new A4000T with all the goodies will sell for more.

Dan   :lol:

well, its a sellers market - people charge according to how they feel about something; I certainly wouldnt sell my A1200 for £100, it means more than that to me. and My A1 isnt for sale at any price-  what would I run OS4 on ?!
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:53 PM »
Just to put a sense of reality into this, that's as much as or more than an 8 core Power Mac.  That's two 4 core Xenon chips running at 3 GHz.  With 9 GB of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive.  

Nice as Amiga is, we're talking about some serious computer power here against last century technology.  Amiga prices have lost all connection with reality.  It's a sad day.  The Amiga is now just a toy for the elite that can blow outrageous sums of money on things.  

I mean how do you even brag about it?  I spent four grand on a machine that has far less processing power than my mobile phone?  That's the reality folks, like it or not.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 03:09:39 PM »
You must remember, we're talking hobbies here.  Not bang for the buck.
When you talk about hobbies, everything changes.  Take a look at Corvettes.  A 1963 is worth more than any Vette made in the 90's.  Is it a better car?  No, not in any way.  Not as well built, not as fuel effecient, parts are impossible to find, etc., etc.  Is it more desirable to a collector?  Yes!
  You can get a real nice 2.8 ghz loaded computer on EBay for $100.  Is it as good as the super-dooper $4000 computers you refer to?  Of course not.  Are those computers $3900 dollars better?  I would say no.  But to someone who wants to be cutting edge, state of the art, and money is not an issue it's a no brainer to get the loaded new computer.

Dan

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 03:16:29 PM »
Agafaster said:

My A1 isnt for sale at any price- what would I run OS4 on ?!

Just remember what The Million Dollar Man Ted DeBiase says "Every man has his price!".  

In all seriousness, I envy you having the AmigaOne!!  Someday I will breakdown and spend the $2300 and get one.

Dan

Offline persia

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
Yeah, I guess I have a hard time with the collector mentality.  I come from the days when Amiga was the "people's computer" and provided more bang for the buck than anything out there.  But that Amiga is a long dead memory I guess.  I suppose the buyer of this 4000T will keep it in a glass cabinet and only turn it on to show it off.  It's more a monied elite who can throw lots of money at old machnes.

The seller made a mistake opening the box though, that peak probably cost him hundreds of dollars.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »

persia wrote:
Just to put a sense of reality into this, that's as much as or more than an 8 core Power Mac.  That's two 4 core Xenon chips running at 3 GHz.  With 9 GB of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive.  

Nice as Amiga is, we're talking about some serious computer power here against last century technology.  Amiga prices have lost all connection with reality.  It's a sad day.  The Amiga is now just a toy for the elite that can blow outrageous sums of money on things.  

I mean how do you even brag about it?  I spent four grand on a machine that has far less processing power than my mobile phone?  That's the reality folks, like it or not.

But ur Mobile Phone wont Do Video Work, Render a 3D Image, Word Process, Format a hard drive & a Floppy Disk in Pee Cee Format, or use Pee Cee PCI Cards; & all @ the same time. Throw a CDROM in ur Pee Cee & stop working untill the bloody thing has spun up & been read!  :madashell:

The only Reality here is if someone wants this A4KT, for what some consider a Princely sum of $4000, they can have it. As a bonus, they can do  most things Pee Cees can whilst not costing a small fortune to run on 1KW+ PSU's and consuming Billions of WATTS when crunching numbers. The only reason why CPU architecture has gone the way it has is down to cr4p Program Coding being bloated beyond un-fathomable amounts. Then after several hours of burning huge amounts of Energy, you come back to the Pee Cee to see either a BSOD or a Fatal Exception!  :lol: Game over!

Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure the seller is x56h34 here.  Not sure why he's getting rid of his collection but that's a mighty nice system.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline TDScomputeTopic starter

• Show only replies by TDScompute
    • http://www.tdscomputer.com
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2008, 03:19:30 PM »
I received a response from the seller. It appears that the A4000 was indeed unused, but the PPC accelerator had been used. He just installed the accelerator, upgraded the PSU and tested the unit.

C'mon! Give the guy a break and someone drop 4 Large on this system!  :-D

Offline r0jaws

• Show only replies by r0jaws
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2008, 06:01:23 PM »
With the windfall he had finding this stuff, I think he's had quite enough breaks already  :lol:

Good luck to him though, I'm not sure I could have brought myself to sell it!

Offline persia

« Reply #44 from previous page: February 13, 2008, 09:52:42 PM »
Has anyone formatted a floppy disk in a PC in the 21st Century?  The bloody things hold nothing are unreliable and cost more than a standard CD.  But for less than 2 thousand US dollars I can burn a dvd, render a three d image, edit a 12 Megapixel photo,  design a newsletter with pictures, tables and graphs, process a podcast and edit an HD video on m Mac.  And if anyone of them crashes the others just carry on without noticing.  Oh, and if I need more power I can use xGrid and share the processors on my wife's and son's computers...

Oh, forgot to mention the webhosting, radio station in the background and serving a video to my Apple TV.  

And as far as power, the A4000 is rated at 150 watts for the CPU alone, not counting monitors - did you say CRT?  My iMac is rated at 120 and draws about 93 when stressed.

1994 technology is 1994 technology...

:destroy:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]