Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay  (Read 10349 times)

Description:

Offline gdanko

• Show only replies by gdanko
Re: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay
« Reply #104 from previous page: January 21, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
What does any of this have to do with the topic? These topics always end up as some platform debate. Lame.

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »

gdanko wrote:
What does any of this have to do with the topic? These topics always end up as some platform debate. Lame.

...maybe the Dicks get attracted to "Dick" links.....

Chim Chim Cher-oo!......
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
no one did bid on the dick dyke a4000t and it ended on Jan-18-08 16:24:20 PST, selling price was only US $49.99 :-o

one lucky mother could have got the dick dyke a4000t for only $49.99!!...  but nooooo.... no one wanted it for that price, and you can just wonder why people whine about expensive old amiga hw...

now its up for sale AGAIN, this time it have a bid for US $305.00...   talk about throwing away your money :lol:

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2008, 12:21:16 AM »
ami_junki wrote:

Exactly!  I got a MacBook but the experience somehow is just not the same anymore infact makes me wanna get a G5 again

I'll take the donation. I don't see how you can sense the endian differences and internal architecure of the CPUs as a user. The OS dictates behaviour and both systems run an identical (at the presentation level) UI.

I never understood how people other than Superman aquired X-ray vision...

anivichano wrote:
People don't understand that the REAL magic of the MAC was that wonderful Motorola CPU. ... the same family as the Amiga ... by comparison, Intel is back in the stone age!!! ...  Anyone who trys to tell me otherwise doesn't appreciate the true beauty of the MAC!

Sorry Alex, it's Mac, not MAC. So perhaps you're talking about something else, because I don't see any magic missing from any x86 Macs.

anivichano wrote:
So what does Jobs do????  He sells out to Intel!!! Sets the MAC back 20 years!!! (in my opinion, of course).

Next I'm expecting the traitor to sell out to M$ in a huge way ... I'm betting that the next MAC OS will be MacVista!!  :-P

Boy, I had no idea there were rocks large enough for entire human beings to live under.

What makes you think that Jobs would EVER give up one of Apple's greatest "weapons", Mac OS X, for something as crappy as Vista? Please get out of whichever rock you're hiding. I also dislike Intel (I've been doing low-level x86 programming for over a decade, so I've had my share of "eat your own dog food"), but Macs are far (in the opposite direction) from "20 years back" because of the switch to Intel. Also realize that the predecessor of Mac OS X, NeXTSTEP had support for Intel CPUs since 1993-94. It ain't something new.

Yes, I want architectures (as in subsystems), including Intel's ISA (for the uninitiated ISA = Instruction Set Architecture, and not the typical ISA-bus acronym) to change, and I'm hoping AMD will help, because not only they did a good job with the K8 and 64bit cores, but frankly there are no other players around :-(  And worse off, until we get away from the Van Neuman computational model, I don't this happening soon.

Anyways, good luck with Van Dyke's Amiga sale. It's sad to hear another Amigan jumping ship, but it's fully understandable. Hope it goes to the best home. Just one question: does he know this machine is "worth" more than $1000 to the seller?

stefcep2 wrote:
What negatives, exactly, have resulted in the look and feel of Macs since they changed CPU's?  What is this "magic" you speak of that "has gone away"?

I fully agree with your line of thinking about Alex's post on the Macs.

However, as far as you Linux comments, I'm sorry to have to say the below  (before I start, I've been using Linux since the day I was told I could play Doom over ethernet, that's around 1995, have followed kernel development, done little kernel programming, and lots in various open source projects from XMMS to X11, etc. Aka, I'm no newbie to Linux):

1) You clearly have no concept of how scalable sytems work. Linux and Unix is the embodiment of a scalable architecture (due to their history and birthplace in highly-networked and distribute environments from AT&T/Bell Labs to academia, DARPA projects, etc), which is an architecture vastly more complicated and compartamentalized in order to overcome the problems with closed systems, which would have "neater layouts" (not only at the filesystem level but also internal module/API/ABI levels) and also less updates (many updates are a necessity for highly modularized and interdependent systems, which is due to optimal usage of resources, such as libraries of code, and data. This is known as re-use or code-reuse and is a staple of less buggy software. If you're not familiar, just think of this: what are the chances of writing the same sentence on the blackboard and making more mistakes: 10 times or 1000 times? By re-using already written code, you minimize, statistically speaking, error propagation). This allows for far faster growth, something you're not aware of, as you state that multi-tasking is poor under Linux. You have no concept of the pre-emptive kernel work, low-latency kernel work, RT Linux work, etc. Yes, those are not things you click and get, that's only on a Mac. These you have to either compile or get the right distribution for, but there are few modern OSs (sorry, AmigaOS doesn't count given it's current featureset) other than RT OSs which guarantee sub-millisecond latency response.

2) Your comments are clearly biased against Linux due to your tainted experience. But you've missed the point: Linux, being an open system allows people to do whatever they want. You went asking the PCLinux or whatever the name was, people to cut down on their methodology (frequent updates), but that's obviously not their "mantra", so their best answer was what you got: you want to look at another Linux that doesn't believe in that. Although not the only one, and not recommended for newbies, I often use Slackware which is much "slower" at updates, and serves me better. The whole point is: Linux isn't one entity, and neither does it owe you anything just because it's free. What it is, is a system which you can modify (if you so wish badly enough, and if not try to find others who feel the same way and wish it more badly than you, so that they have actually taken the time and put the effort to do so), so that it does what you want it.

3) I also don't like many aspects of Linux and Unix, but I understand that complex and advanced systems aren't built overnight and because of that they carry a lot of history. In your particular case, "/etc" is confusing to you (much like the SYS:L would be an Amiga newbie), since you've no concept of Unix's history and the "baggage" that Linux got due to its ideological roots (not talking about code here) being in the Unix world. Apple for example, despite deriving part of their Mac OS X from FreeBSD, have chosen to change the historical conventions. Linux folks don't see it necessary. Don't like it? Goes back to the previous point, make your own distro and change the naming (but be warned: it'll be a pain, because you're going against historical trends, once again, which have been deemed by those working on Linux as HELPFUL to them, unlike what you think, and thus fully ingrained into their Linux work). If that sounds like too much pain, then Linux or your current distros aren't for you. Now, what people mean when they say "Linux is the future", is not that it's perfect, but that it's a platform embodying the perfect mentality for massive-scale parallel software developement. Aka, it's Open Source.

And to end on a positive note: I'm certain there'll be a Linux version/distro in the future that foregoes the old Unix baggage in many ways (X11 included, and I for one would like to see something like Apple's PDF based Quartz-like architecture for GUI - DRI doesn't suck completely, but it's not really such a good architecture, nor very clean - too long a discussion for now) and evolves into the future of Linux.

Sorry for the off-topic guys. I saw a box of soap and stepped on it... Feel free to ignore it, but don't be fooled into thinking that ignorance is bliss. It's mental poverty.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2008, 12:33:05 AM »
If you feel compelled to continue this discussion about Macs, Linux distributions, etc., please have the decency to start a new thread and copy the parts you want from this thread.  Thanks
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2008, 12:43:41 AM »
For those who mistakenly think the auction ended with no bids for the $49.95, I don't know exactly what happened, but it is currently relisted and the bid amount is $425 with 4+ days to go.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline joetee

• Show only replies by joetee
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »
>by amigadave on 2008/1/21 19:43:41
said:
> If you feel compelled to continue this discussion about
> Macs, Linux distributions, etc., please have the decency > to start a new thread and copy the parts you want from
> this thread. Thanks

Yes please a new thread! ...and start another one for Anti-Gravity gripes!!!

Amigadave said also:

> For those who mistakenly think the auction ended with no > bids for the $49.95, I don't know exactly what happened, > but it is currently relisted and the bid amount is $425
> with 4+ days to go.

Yep. Its getting pricy _because its worth it_!
 (1Hr left)
A 4000T, an 060, a Flyer, an Amiga X-Surf, A Cyber-GFX, SCSI H&CD drives, SW, and even a HD Floppy!

My bid of Four hundred and Twenty (420) was surpassed - should I bid 840?
Yep!
.     .   .  . ..JoeT.. .   .    .     .
Joe Torre .  . ...X Hardware Engineer @ Amiga Inc... .  .

Offline Plaz

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
The system was relisted at this link....
Van Dyke's Amiga on Ebay

Up to $700+ so far, but ends in about an hour.

Plaz

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »
Nearly $1k (about £500). That's impressively cheap if I'm honest.

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2008, 06:28:47 PM »
I'd rather saw it go to joetee, but alas, it's going to Switzerland.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »

Krusher wrote:
I'd rather saw it go to joetee, but alas, it's going to Switzerland.

I though it would bring a little more, maybe $1200us. I consider $987us a bit of a bargain. With missing bits like the case cover and drives I don't think it had a chance of going over $1500 autographed.

So the winner is in Switzerland? That's going to add a hefty shipping charge from the US. However with the falling value of the dollar, maybe it's still a great bargain in Switzerland.

Plaz

Offline DaBest

• Show only replies by DaBest
    • http://www.fennecadventures.com
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
And it's going up & up & up & up in price.
Shees......almost $1000 now......

But the real question is???????????

How's the ownderfull Amiga sad invention of a BATTERY doing

:crazy:  :lol:  :-D  :-P  :roll:  :-P
\\"Keep it simple STUPID\\"
                    \\" Keep ur AMIGA\\"
:whack:

A4000/040  Desk Top is Back up and running :rtfm:
Picasso4, X-Surf2, 1.2 GIG HD, 24x10x40 CDR, OS3.9,18 MGS of RAM

Offline anivichano

• Show only replies by anivichano
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2008, 07:49:27 AM »

DaBest wrote:

But the real question is???????????

How's the ownderfull Amiga sad invention of a BATTERY doing

In this case, very well.  This motherboard uses the button type batteries.

Help, please.  How would I go about to upload a photo for this group?

Many thanks,

Alex

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #117 on: February 03, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
Hi Alex,

If you can put the image onto a website anywhere then you can click the link above to add an image from the URL. It's the third button from the left below all the smilies.

If you don't have web space, I do and I'd be happy to host it for you. Just email it to me at my address that you have.

Thanks,
Nyle(toohuge)
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #118 on: February 03, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
i have just clicked on the link and noticed it ended and there were no bids?....i cant believe it never sold.
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Invisix

• Show only replies by Invisix
« Reply #119 on: February 03, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
It received 29 bids and sold for $986.98 USD.

I don't care what anyone says... I still think this guy totally duped people into believing this was Dick Van Dykes A4000T.

Some people are very gullible.

By the way, here is the link to the relist (auction has ended): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180208438492
Amiga 1200T: D-Box 1200 Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260
  • 50Mhz, 32mb Fast Ram, 3gig HDD, 52x CD-ROM Drive, ToastScan Scan Doubler, Mediator PCI 1200 SX, FastATA 1200 MK-III, PCMCIA Adapter, PCMCIA Network Card MKIII, Amiga OS 3.5[/b]