Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay  (Read 10403 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
Re: Dick Van Dyke sells his Amiga 4000T on ebay
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »

Quote: "In all, its very sad to see the magic go away, regardless of the technology or the excuses. Woz was my hero ... on the MAC side. ... on the other side, Miner and Haynie are burned into my brain cells "

What negatives, exactly, have resulted in the look and feel of Macs since they changed CPU's?  What is this "magic" you speak of that "has gone away"?

Quote:"With the increasing popularity of Linux, there may finally be a chance for basic computer design to progress past the 1960's "

I have been dabbling with Linux (Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora) for about 1 year.  It has a LONG way to go before it will even remotely be as user-friendly as AmigaOS is, or OSX is or even Windows is.  Fully-functional Linux is a resource hog about as much as XP.  Its display system X is a pain and so are the two GUI systems Gnome and KDE which are SLOW.  And its multitasking is POOR.  Its directory structure is not intuitive: important system directories, which are consistent across distros, have vague names eg "etc"-WTF?  And there is so much fartsing around to do really simple things.  Fine if you want to spend ages learning how your system works.  Oh did I mention if you use a "meta" distro ie constant updating one like PCLinux OS then you HAVE to update your system continuously with whatever new version of whatever file happens to pop-up in the repo's. Otherwise your computer may not boot after you installed that 500k emulator because it needed 550 MB of "updates" to work which you ignored because you thought it ridiculous to install 550 MB just to run a 500k emulator..Linux IMHO at the moment has the look and feel of an amatuer production.  I think its sad that there have been some really good propriatory OS's eg AmigaOS,BeOS, OS/2 that have failed but Linux isn't the way forward yet

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »

monami wrote:
yes but it's free. :-)

And you get what you pay for...

Offline stefcep2

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
Quote:

"The current wintel monopoly does not allow for much deviation of the Intel hardware design, which is a dinosaur from the 60's (IMHO) and its time that hardware evolve to at least the level of the Amiga, if not to 1990's tech levels!"

I could not agree more with you on the sad fact that computer hardware nowdays is made to accomodate the Windows-way of doing things. And no amount of arguing this point with supposed senior members on the Linux forums could make them see that.

Linux is seen as the hope for PC revolution but being on some of those forums made me see that many of these "gurus" are not interested in moving Linux forward as a unit, but rather on moving their chosen distro fdorward relative to other distro's.  They DO NOT take constructive end-user criticism at all well eg I stated my concern re:meta-updates in PCLinuxOS, and the guy behind that distro told me to go elsewhere if i didn't like it and locked the thread.  This despite the fact that 80% of support questions for this distro arise because users do not want to constantly update the OS, and only want to install what they want.  They have,what about 80 distro's of Linux?, wasting their time on re-inventing the wheel, and other trivial things.  And as long as this lack of co-operation exists, MS will feel quite comfortable.